Suggestions for taking my new 7'6" Viper and Invictus on airplane

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    My SKB tube goes to only 7'2". I have considered making an extension, or designing my own, but if others have had good experience with other options out there, I'd love to lear about it.

I will have 8 rods to check, four of which are 7'6".

Flying AlaskaAir, but future trips who knows.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Juanba

CR
    Apr 11, 2014
    Pt Loma
    Name
    John John John
    Boat
    Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
    The 4 inch white irrigation tubes are
    with end caps are about $20 at Home Depot. That tube will hold about
    4 rods.

(Side note) Once you arrive to your
    fishing destination some in country airlines have strict size restrictions.
    Like (Costa Rica)

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Alaska is the best as It looks like you can go up to 115”. Straight off thier website:
    • Fishing
      One piece of fishing equipment is defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box. Fishing equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee.

Upvote 0

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
    Sep 10, 2017
    minnesota
    Name
    Joseph Koep
    Boat
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    Consider what shellback says. I just flew from San Francisco to San Diego with an 8’ rod Tube and southwest dinged me $75 each way. Was not pleased.

Try and ship an 8 ft tube well over 200$ now. Your best making sure everything is under 8ft now.

Upvote 0

cecritz

Nov 14, 2016
    Central Coast
    Name
    Charlie
    Boat
    I wish
    you are better using a styrene crush type pipe it is flexible and less likely to break PVC and ABS are harder and could break if dropped or thrown around make sure you put towels or soft foam on tip end to absorb impact .actually you are better to put multiple rods bundled together with tip and butts opposite to each other with the butts out a little farther than the tips to help protect them from impact. i learned the hard way,luckily it was on way home and it only broke the ceramic insert in the tip.
    I now carry extra tips with me in case it happens on the way

Upvote 0

Juanba

CR
    Apr 11, 2014
    Pt Loma
    Name
    John John John
    Boat
    Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
    PVC will cost you nearly $50 to make
    an 8 ft 4” tube.

Irrigation tube (white) will cost you less
    than $20 to make an 8 ft tube.

TSA will pull your rods out and force them back in your tube. Pack your rods
    idiot proof so they can pull them out and slide them back in.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    My SKB tube goes to only 7'2". I have considered making an extension, or designing my own, but if others have had good experience with other options out there, I'd love to lear about it.

I will have 8 rods to check, four of which are 7'6".

Flying AlaskaAir, but future trips who knows.

Thanks

Alaska Air is the way to go. I carried 6 rods (all 7' 6") in a home made rod tube at no charge. Used the triple walled 4" HDPE pipe mentioned by Juanba. This stuff is inexpensive, very light weight but does not break. It will flex some but will not break. I am 99% sure that you can tape two of these pipes together and check them as a single bag along with a tackle box. I left the empty tube at the landing office during the trip and they asked where I got such a strong, light weight tube.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-10-ft-Triplewall-Pipe-Solid-4550010/100135310

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

vinniethefish

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Sep 19, 2016
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Name
    Vince Borrego
    Boat
    2006 Skeeter
    Consider what shellback says. I just flew from San Francisco to San Diego with an 8’ rod Tube and southwest dinged me $75 each way. Was not pleased.

That's exactly why I fly with 7' rods. You can get away with 7'6" but it doesn't leave much in terms of extra padding. Never had an issue with the 7' but when I tried with larger either the rods broke or on one occasion the Bazooka tube rod carrier broke.

I use this one now to avoid the over sized baggage fee. Adjusts in 6" increments and is 3" in diameter. My previous one was 4.5" in diameter and had to pay once even though it was under 91". Just depends on how good of a mood the person checking your bag feels that day as I had easily a dozen flights without getting charged.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/plano-deluxe-hard-rod-cases

From their policy which I print out every time I fly with rods to avoid any conflict at the airport.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

"Fishing tackle box and fishing rod, so long as the rod is encased in a cylindrical fishing rod container suitable to Carrier for withstanding normal Checked Baggage handling without sustaining damage to the rod. Fishing rod containers may measure up to three inches in diameter and 91 inches in length."

Reactions: bobsled
    Upvote 0

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    Have you considered buying this?

Amazon product
    I have this one (airline telescoping tube) and use it to go to Panama all the time. Used it on 10 trips so far. It expands up to 10 feet i think. Long enough anyways. Fits about 10-12 rods but I usually put 8 in it. I wrap the rods in rod wraps so they stay tight. Then I pack the end with a towel to protect them and fill movable space. Works great.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    UPS them. My bazooka tube has accounted for at least 10 guides busted off durring flight or loading. Even when just packing a few rods using small bubble wrap, full protection. Brought back a few rods to Cali to wrap guides. Returned with same amount of guides needing to be re wrapped :). Minimize the weight for padding using bubble wrap. Same with surfboards. Clothes for padding protection makes the tube heavy when the employee drops the rod tube causing a heavier free fall to the ground. When bazookas are opened to check is a big problem. Less weight the better

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Alaska is the best a four inch pvc tube up to 115 inchs is the equivalent of one bag or $25. I screw togethe one end and make the other end removable.Black foam insulation tube works great to protect the rods, I go to Los Cabos 5-6 times a year never a problem on Alaska.

Upvote 0

bcause

Jul 14, 2015
    Name
    Bob Causey
    Boat
    X
    I've used the Plano Jumbo Airliner to take 9' jig sticks on Alaska to various Mexico and Central America trips with no problem with the rod case, the wheels make it really nice. Adjustable so if you don't bring long rods you can shorten the case. TSA or customs definitely will open the case so like a previous post said make it easy for them to unpack and repack your rods to minimize the chance of damage.

Reactions: sealskinner
    Upvote 0