Suggestions for Irons?

Jonesa12

May 6, 2011
San Bernardino, CA
Name
Aaron Jones
Boat
mirage classic
Hey all, I have some gift cards to the bps I need to waste and I am trying to assemble a collection of irons.

Any suggestions on brands, weights, and colors for yellowtail fishing?

Upvote 0

REELKING

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 22, 2009
Name
MR.CHIN
Boat
THE MIGHTY VICTORY
sales 6X JR blue/white..scrable egg these are ur heavy
544x sigle hooks Mint..blue/white..these are ur light

and theres plenty more but i have no idea how much $$$ u have
but these are a good start for the yellows

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hey all, I have some gift cards to the bps I need to waste and I am trying to assemble a collection of irons.

Any suggestions on brands, weights, and colors for yellowtail fishing?

Last time I was at the BPS near you, they had a good supply of Sumo JR jigs in blue/white and scrambled egg, an excellent all-around choice for YT
They also had some Tady 4/0's in the same colors, also great.
The Sumo C2's are also good for smaller yellowtail and barracuda, but the barracuda will bite them off a lot.
Can't recall if they have any Tady 4/0's left in blue/chrome with a large single hook, but that is a very good choice for bluefin.
They also have plenty of Tady 45 and Sumo 7X "lights" in sardine, blue/white, black/white, and mint colors. Good for yellowtail, calicos, and barracuda, but don't buy them unless you have the correct tackle to cast them a very long way.
You'll get plenty of opinions here on what constitutes good jig casting tackle!

Upvote 0

kzhlin

Almost A Member
Apr 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
N/A
Personally, I am a big fan of Salas lures and Tady lures.

I use:
- Salas 6X Jr. (that's the model): in blue/white, scrambled egg, dorado
- Salas 7X: blue/white, scrambled egg, tarbaby, green sardine, mint sardine, dorado, and a few more. lol...
- Tady 45: mint/white, blue/white

Don't leave your house without some blue/white 6X Jr., blue/white 7x, and a mint/white Tady 45! :D

Good luck!
Kevin

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
I would definitely by some of Dan Hernandez magic metal lures and b52 bucktail jigs. Those things catch fish :boobies:

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
I just picked up another mint/white tady 45 at bps an hour ago. That is one good iron.

How do you know it's a good iron? Did you already fish it? My guess is it's not a good iron, probably a spinner which makes it a steaming pile of :shithappens:

Upvote 0

Jonesa12

May 6, 2011
San Bernardino, CA
Name
Aaron Jones
Boat
mirage classic
I have a good selection of taddys 4/0 and 45's picked out. Did not see any Sumos or Salas at this bps =/

What would be the advantage of using a single hook vs a trebble?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I have a good selection of taddys 4/0 and 45's picked out. Did not see any Sumos or Salas at this bps =/

What would be the advantage of using a single hook vs a trebble?

The Tady 45's carried by BPS are "lights"; AKA "surface jigs'.
They are made to be cast far away from the boat, the retrieved at medium speeds just under the surface.
Usually require good casting skills and somewhat specialized tackle.
Tady 4/0's carried by BPS are "heavies"; AKA "yo-yo jigs".
They are usually simply dropped over the side and allowed to sink deep, than retrieve very fast back to the surface.
The single hooks are better for larger tuna species like bluefin, while the trebles are better for most other species [lots of exceptions].
I have never seen Salas lures for sale at BPS.

Upvote 0

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
How do you know it's a good iron? Did you already fish it? My guess is it's not a good iron, probably a spinner which makes it a steaming pile of :shithappens:
Totally agree with Brandon.
The bottom line is you won't have no idea if your new irons/jigs can swim or spin until you actually throw them on the water. This is very crucial for surface irons.
You can check hole shape, hips, and irregularities when buying them at the shop, but again, it's not always guaranteed that they will swim good.

YOU NEED IRONS THAT SWIM GOOD. PERIOD!
Swimming ability with kicks is more important than colors IMHO.
In my case, I could only get 2-3 good swimmers out of 10 jigs I bought.
That's why I too have piles of jigs/irons sitting in my garage and collecting dust.

Last edited:
Upvote 0