Suggestions for an 8' UC jigstick

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by r8rs4lf, Sep 21, 2017.

1. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I just recently got UC CE900 Monster wrapped and it is by far my favorite between my Phenix and Calstar 9'ers.

So now I'm looking to get an 8' jigstick just for the sake of having a shorter rod for ease of travel.

When I purchased the 9' monster, I compared the CE model to the US and the US is way lighter which is the way I'm going with my rods.

So any suggestions for an 8' UC jigstick? Targeted species would be the typical SoCal barracuda, YT, etc. I would love to have something comparable to the 9' monster I have. I'm sure some people would say, just get an 8' CE Monster, but from what I understand, it's not that simple.

I'm definitely going to go pull on some UC 8'ers before I make a purchase. Just wanted to see what kind of suggestions I get.

TIA

2. lazyfisherman

lazyfisherman Member

Name:
    Bobby
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats
    I personally love the CE series for casting jigs. The rods load up much better than the US series with the glass tips. I have the CE900Monster as well and it's my favorite light jigstick. For 8 ft, try out the 800Monster. I have that rod as well and it casts amazingly well. I also have the 1000Wahoo which cast well, but puts a hurt on you when fighting a fish. I'd be curious at how the 800Wahoo would do as a heavier jig stick in the 8 ft range.

3. Surfer Ed

Surfer Ed Member

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Shogun, Vagabond, Constitution, New Lo Ann
    more parabolic rod-
    CE800 Monster
    CE800 Wahoo- with more backbone than monster

parabolic rod with little faster tip and all graphite construction
    US80 Monster- moderate fast tip
    US80 Tilefish- Fast tip with shuts off upper 2/3 blank but still parabolic.
    US80 wahoo- moderate fast tip with more backbone than Tilefish and Monster
    US80 Predator- Faster tip than wahoo but with backbone of the tilefish

IMHO
    if you are going to use with all jigs-
    all purpose tady aa to salas 7x- Monster unless you want fast tip then use predator
    heavy jigs- like raiders and 7x primarily- Wahoo

All rounder- jig and bait (40 lbs class). jig being like tady 45 / Jri 4 and Colt snipers/megabaits- Tilefish. with predator a close 2nd.

4. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Alex,

If you are near Van Nuys, Ca., come on in to Bob Sands Tackle and check out all the U.C. 8 footers that might meet your needs. There are more differences to the CE vs. the US models than just weight. Depending what pound test you are throwing the answer will be subject as to what feels good to you and works with your individual casting style. We also just posted a special deal for Bloody Decks members in the Advertiser section or you can P.M. me for more info.

Jamie

5. r8rs4lf

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Yea I’m no where near there. I’m in Long Beach. Island tackle has many UC rods to pull on. Just wanted to get a feel of what I should pull on first.

If I’m ever in the area, I’ll stop by. I’d love to chat with you about the UC line because it seems like you know that line well.

6. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    assasin, 21 wellcraft coastal
    Take a look at the surfaceiron.com uc jig stick

7. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold

8. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Go see Jaime. When I did walked out with 2 today and a bunch of knowledge

fishordie likes this.
  9. r8rs4lf

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I don’t know what it is about these longer factory wrapped rods, but it seems that all the weight saved with their technology is wasted with the components that are installed on their rods. Which is wierd because I have one of their factory wrapped 7’-11” Swimbait rods and it’s light as hell. Some of their factory wrapped rods seem way too heavy, especially when you go pull on that same blank.

On another note, if anyone has any UC blanks for sale, hit me up.

10. seabass1469

seabass1469 Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24 Skipjack,EATME
    Ok here's my $0.02
    It depends on your style of jig fishing, reel, line size & jigs you throw....now that being said
    US 80 TileFish Jr is a very good option for 30# and a star drag reel ( custom order blank only )
    US 80 HP is a little slower and better for a novice caster or a lever drag reel or if your casting style likes a little slower action also 30# & lighter jigs
    US 80 TileFish is good for 40# and bigger jigs tady 45 or 7X and has a faster tip and will handle bigger fish
    US 80 Predator is a bit slower but also good for 40# or 50# and large surface iron tady 45 or 7X
    I have them all any other questions just hit me up let me know your intended use

11. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    assasin, 21 wellcraft coastal
    I grew a friend's and liked it but I also lug around a wcdh6480 e glass tank for throwing my jigs...