Success of Flatfall Jig

Grumpiest1

Jun 19, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Jon
Boat
Ocean Oddity
i am wondering if the success of the flatfall jig is due to the fact it is the only jig being used or are other jigs being fished and just not being successful hooking these large bluefin? Can anyone comment on the variety of jigs being fished and their success or failure? Thanks

B

BigPlay

I think its probably all about presentation at the end of the day. The shimano flat fall is designed to be a "do-nothing" type jig that does all the work due to the engineering and design that makes it flutter, which is why people fish them. They are idiot proof and consistent.

Other jigs do work but they just aren't fished. Last year on one trip on the Pacific Queen we were into those 100lb class bluefin, there was a father/son duo, kind of dorky, fishing these funky looking Ahi jigs. Those two guys had 3 of the large bluefin of our 13 total that day caught before lunchtime on those things. They were the only ones fishing that jig and knew what they were doing. At the end of the day, when your jig or bait is out there among 20-30 others, its about which one presents the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tugasangler

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Bluefin jig.jpg
I have seen those things eat all kinds of jigs way before the Flat Fall came into existence. One of the best big Bluefin bites I was involved with came aboard the Royal Star and I was using a Salas 6X heavy in blue and white. Most of the time they would bite on the sink. I saw so many Bluefin landed on jigs and the Flat Fall had not been invented yet...

Sep 3, 2014
North SLO county
Name
keith iaia
Boat
Gregor Baja skiff 'Tin Man'
I had good luck last year on those 100# class BF with the 100g colt sniper fished on the fall. Didn't just drop it straight down though - what I did was go to the upwind corner and throw long into the wind, let it sink for a bit in freespool and then just put it in gear and wait. This only worked for me in light wind because I think when the wind was blowing it wouldn't get down. But in light wind it was great and I limited with 4 fish in the 100 lb class including the Jackpot. My guess is that when the boat is throwing bait, I'm getting my jig closer to the chum line and also the jig is sinking in a nice arc instead of straight down so I'm covering ground with it. They seemed to like the green/silver model.

998R

Well-Known "Member"
May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey & Sangre Azul
True story. Backlashed a reel in a bite and placed a torpedo sinker on the bare hook and dropped over the side to remove backlash and was bit on the fast sink, landed a tuna.

I've caught a handful of BFT with my torpedo setup. A lot of non believers out there when I tell the story. Between myself and few friends and the excel. I will alway have my dropper loop setup like this.

And yes, I bait both hooks!

IMG_0006.JPG

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Got a few that look just like that

fattytuna

Feb 22, 2010
Orange County
Name
Ed
Boat
Other jigs work. Shimano's got a hold of the USDM and therefore tackle shops push their stuff. Many nicer lures exist that never make it to these shores. Personally, I've never hooked a bluefin on Shimano's flat fall but have had luck with other JDM "flat fall" type jigs.

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Recently I was on a trip fishing for white seabass at night and could not believe my eyes when guys were using the glow flat falls for seabass. These jigs were not "falling" mind you, just suspended a few feet off the bottom tipped with squid. Seabass are stupid so I am sure they would eat a flatfall if it had squid on it but it just shows the mindset of brainwashed fishermen who think they must use a flatfall if they want to get a bite. Marketing 101 taken to a whole new level.

As a side note, I got the only seabass that night on a jig, a 35lber that ended up taking JP, and I was not using a flatfall....

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
To me the Flat Fall (really, the slow-pitch jig, in general) is just like the Senko when it dropped on the freshwater bass scene. Sure, everyone caught fish before, but every now and then, something comes out with "game changer" status. If you want to keep up with the pros, there are times when you need to have one tied on.

karlk1125

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
Like chris said, it's a slow pitch jig. There's manh variations, and some solidly outperform the flat fall. Difference is, shimano's massive marketing power so most fishermen has no idea what slow pitch jigging was until shimano released the flat fall.

Reactions: FishAcquisition

freespool9

Jun 29, 2015
Name
Kendall
Boat
NA
i have fished both the shimanos and the daiwa/saltiga 'slow chuckles'. with the human eye the shimano looks like it has better flutter action, likely from the asymmetric body of the flat fall. from my limited fish time on them, the hit rate has been equal on both. even though the saltigas don't quite chuckle slowly as much the shimanos, i fish them just to be that ONE guy that has something different to offer those BFT when there are 20 other guys dangling the same shimano. the jury is still out.

Last edited:

DPevin

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 4, 2016
Dana Point
Name
Evin
Boat
kayak
I am kind of surprised only one person has mentioned the Ahi Assault Diamond jigs. Work pretty good when chasing sonar schools and marking them deeper and you need to get down to them fast before they split.

PHT

Feb 23, 2005
Capo Beach
Name
Tedd
Boat
yours, I'll scrub and pay
i am wondering if the success of the flatfall jig is due to the fact it is the only jig being used or are other jigs being fished and just not being successful hooking these large bluefin? Can anyone comment on the variety of jigs being fished and their success or failure? Thanks
they will still eat a Salas 6x, tady9, Ironman 5, megabait...etc. it's whats "in". other stuff works great still. for those who doubt me, what is there to compare to..companies flood the market and hook up the boats with their jigs. Just my opinion. They may be the ONLY thing that gets bit and that should work out well for their company