Stupid is as stupid does, more BSB hijinx (Headslap here)

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Another dumb ass bone head. God, some people are soooo stupid.
Time to toss a bag of popcorn in the micro.
Carry on.

Sorry, link doesn't want to show up.

Clueless fisherman catches a BSB off the Ventura pier and of course has to parade it around taking selfie hey look at me aren't I bitchen pictures then dumps over the side likely killing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
For fucks sake. Not only were they stupid for handling it the way they did, they were also stupid in posting it on instagram. What a shit show just to take a picture/video. Should be used as an easy example of almost everything not to do when handling ANY fish intended for release. Sad

BTW link works fine for me.

Yes, Black Seabass lives matter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
It might be time for DFW to put up some educational signs on the piers about BSB & GWS

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
This is easy to understand.

A lot of the people on piers have very little understanding of how and when to release fish. First, piers don't require fishing licenses, so a lot of the people fishing there are completely casual. A lot of it is first time dads with their wives & kids on the beach, old people who still think it's 1970, and so on.

Second, due to the structure of the pier, the standard practice on a pier is to drag fish 20 feet up from the water, and then to either keep it or release it by throwing it back down 20 feet.

This kills most fish you "release."

And fish and game just about never go to piers.

Upvote 0

Hugo Bendo

Hugo Bendo
May 23, 2009
San Marcos
Name
Frank
Boat
unknown

A lot of the people on piers have very little understanding of how and when to release fish. First, piers don't require fishing licenses, so a lot of the people fishing there are completely casual. A lot of it is first time dads with their wives & kids on the beach, old people who still think it's 1970, and so on.

Second, due to the structure of the pier, the standard practice on a pier is to drag fish 20 feet up from the water, and then to either keep it or release it by throwing it back down 20 feet.

X2.Was just going to post what you wrote.

SPOT ON !

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo

Just because it's easy to understand doesn't make it ok.

Upvote 0

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Time for DFW or DFW interns to go out and start educating folks on piers.
I know that their resources are limited but education at the basic level is where it starts to keep ethical fisherman legit.
BTW, JMO, but BSB are doing well.
Be nice if we could get a one-a-year tag.

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
If I had a dollar for everytime people on the Avalon pleasure pier had TINY calico bass laying around on the pier or in a bucket.
Meanwhile, a quarter mile away the DFG is citing someone for a lobster that is 3mm short because the person catching it didn't measure it correctly.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Saw this as soon as it was posted and sent a copy to DFW via email. Haven't gotten a response yet but with the video it shouldn't be hard to cite them.

Waste of your time.

Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
You are kind of in a dilemma if you catch a BSB from a pier. It's bladder will likely inflate once you get it to the surface then you have to lift it up onto the pier to unhook it, (you don't want to lose your snelled hook and spark plug sinker), then what are you supposed to do? Maybe hold onto it and have someone lower you down on a rope so that you can revive the thing correctly? Lower it down in a hoop net so it enters the water gently and then it floats away belly up? Or just chuck the thing off the pier and let it float away because you know it's toast anyways.

There's not many options on a case like this especially when you realize that most pier fishermen probably don't know what it is in the first place and would have zero clue how you are supposed to properly let them go.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
You are kind of in a dilemma if you catch a BSB from a pier. It's bladder will likely inflate once you get it to the surface then you have to lift it up onto the pier to unhook it, (you don't want to lose your snelled hook and spark plug sinker), then what are you supposed to do? Maybe hold onto it and have someone lower you down on a rope so that you can revive the thing correctly? Lower it down in a hoop net so it enters the water gently and then it floats away belly up? Or just chuck the thing off the pier and let it float away because you know it's toast anyways.

There's not many options on a case like this especially when you realize that most pier fishermen probably don't know what it is in the first place and would have zero clue how you are supposed to properly let them go.
They should all have descenders or run that fish down to the beach as fast as you can to get it back in the water. There are plenty of ways I can think of. Maybe a thin, barbless pier gaff stuck through the hook hole in it's mouth and then lowered down to the water?

Black Sea bass regularly float belly up for a period of time until they can get back down on their own but if you take care of them, they will recover from that belly up position. Around the pier, you aren't pulling them from very deep and I am 100% sure that they could recover quickly.

Reactions: viti
Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
You can release any big fish from the pier by either breaking your line or using a net to bring them up and then using the same net to drop them down. And you would not be able to bring a big fish up without a net or running it to the beach to begin with, so there is no excuse for not releasing them one of these two ways.

It's the small fish that die during release on piers.

Upvote 0