I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 9, 2018
Santa Cruz
Name
Kiva
Boat
Key West 19' Sportsman
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of using a stun gun for halibut. given that I have a smaller boat (19ft), knocking out the halibut seems like a good idea before bringing it aboard. here is a link to one of the stun guns i was looking at. Amazon productthanks for any responses

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
It could work?! :food-smil

Bwood

Jan 24, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Brett
Boat
17' Whaler
That is a great idea!! For you. Go pro for sure your first attempt. Pretty sure it will be fun to watch whatever the outcome.

Reactions: strackle99

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
Never drop a live halibut on the deck. Not unless you want a jumping fish flying around bruising the meat.
Gaff the legal halibut,break some gills to bleed, and then put into the ice chest upside down (white side up) with ice on top.

Mo

#1 OG, part time Secret Moderator
Apr 10, 2007
east of the west coast...
Name
Mo
Boat
20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
Hit it with a bat to stun. (If possible) only works briefly then they “wakeup” and go crazy.
Push rope thru Gill out mouth.
Brown side up throw a loop over tail Pull into a U shape. Tie it off. Cut gills. Bring in boat. Done this with butts in 50-60lb range many times. Even a large Halibut can be handled safely if done the right way.
Big one...just shoot it. Stun gun and saltwater? Good luck
Snake Charmer .410 or 22 mag work good

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishyboy

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Funny. It will not knock them out, but guessing, it will piss them off.

Reactions: Mo

Fishyboy

Aug 9, 2018
Santa Cruz
Name
Kiva
Boat
Key West 19' Sportsman
Thanks for all the replies! After reconsidering, zapping a halibut in water is probably a bad idea, but I wonder if using it after gaffing would be a bad idea.

Fishyboy

Aug 9, 2018
Santa Cruz
Name
Kiva
Boat
Key West 19' Sportsman
Besides the risk of water and electricity, I wonder if a stun gun would even knock out a halibut

Mo

#1 OG, part time Secret Moderator
Apr 10, 2007
east of the west coast...
Name
Mo
Boat
20ft Thunderjet,Hobie 12ft Pro Angler,Boat Ho on KA
You shock a big Hali and your going to have a broken leg at the minimum. How many of have seen a large Halibut go crazy on the deck of a boat... I have and your not going to stop it
But seriously I thought this thread was a joke...
Actually surprised its stayed civil and I haven’t had to lock it lol

Reactions: One_Leg

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
I've caught a lot of big halibut on my boat over the years and ive been fishing with the same guys for 40 years , we all use light line and work great together, when a nice fish is hooked the kill bag gets opened up and once the fish is gaffed it goes right in and closed up with white side up if possible depending on how hot the fish in , once it settles down 15 minutes or so the gill gets cut and the fish has ice put over it , I think the stun gun is a waste of money and probably wouldn't work

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Thanks for all the replies! After reconsidering, zapping a halibut in water is probably a bad idea, but I wonder if using it after gaffing would be a bad idea.
Yes, because it actually does not “stun” them. It does momentarily incapacitate the small amount of muscle between the probes, while introducing a considerable pain response to the surrounding tissue, aka, pissing it off. Basically your gonna’ wake the SOB up, on the wrong side of the bed.

Reactions: Fishyboy

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
All Halibut on my boat 40# and up get the harpoon. Been doing it for years, it's a ton of fun! Kinda brings out the inner Caveman in me I guess. Center of mass about 1" behind the gill plate is a good target.

Reactions: jiggermyster