Stuff I've learned

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by freegaff2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Bring meds for the flu, cold, soar throat, the shits, etc. Seems like there's always somebody that brings a bug onto the boat.

Fishing conditions constantly change, daily or even hourly. If I'm going on a LR trip and getting on a boat that's doing a turn-around, I would rather hear that the fishing was kind of tough, rather than hear that it was WFO...cause I know it's going to be different by the time we get to where we're going.

Enjoy every trip like it could be your last, because it just may be. Shit happens.

If you're having a tough day and getting frustrated, take a break for a few minutes, grab a cold refreshment, go up top, take a few deep breaths, and watch what's going on down below.

Remember to relax and breath when fighting a nice fish...let that high-dollar tackle do the job you bought it for.

locvetter, Big carp, Nebraska and 2 others like this.
  2. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    One other thing I've learned: when you get a thread like this that's full of literally centuries of accumulated wisdom and experience--print it out and save it. I've nodded my head in agreement with just about everything I've read so far; I think that I could have pushed the "like" button on every post..

Shon, bkaz and 500BBC like this.
  3. BluefinCurly

BluefinCurly Skipper

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    Vagabond, The Last Minute
    My vote is a sticky for this thread....

4. carcass

carcass Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    None

You can learn quite a lot by just taking a 15 minute break, going up top, and watching the masters at work.

locvetter, Yellowtail Dan and ZZZZZ like this.
  5. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Yes everyone can!

Greenies have trible style markings for identification. Might see it a few days later in the bait tray. Like a finger print.

Imo, Bad bad throwing cig butts overboard. Rip the cherry off and throw that overboard. Butt goes in the trash can or pocket. Yah it feels so free to throw them overboard but its just not good. Respect other peoples air space and don't drop hot ash on others line! Former smoker with those ethics.

While on the way. I like to throw a fistfull of coins off the stern (no penny's). The sea gods can not use the treasure but they do appreciate the gesture and respect. I really believe this. First time I saw this gesture was out of PV.

locvetter, Yellowtail Dan and Bill W like this.
  6. Guideoutpost

Guideoutpost Big Dave's biggest bluefin

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    N/A
    Keep a notebook to keep track of what you packed for each trip. It will help you when you pack for your next trip.

Preparation, persistence and alertness are keys to a successful trip.

Try to optimize you opportunities. Be alert to changes that may give you a jump on the crowd.

Changes in boat speed, direction can be a clue the captain has seen something.

Deckhands starting a chumline while trolling means you should have your rod in hand. Be alert and look for kelp, birds diving, porpoises or fish.

Take good care of your hands and feet. Finger tape is a must if you fish spectra.

locvetter likes this.
  7. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    [QUOTE="Guideoutpost, post: 4679806, member: 205321”

Take good care of your hands and feet. Finger tape is a must if you fish spectra.

.[/QUOTE]

Big one there. My hands were always fine on the shorter trips (I work in concrete so they are tough anyways) but once I stepped up to longer trips, it slowly took more effect, and I HAD to use tape. Hard to fish if you can’t use your greatest tools.

locvetter and Shon like this.
  8. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Repeated water soggy skin can be damaging for some. My soggy left thumb can become raw from guiding and packing spectra. On long trips

Water soggy wrinkly fingers. Good for traction and feel but prone to cuts as the skin is soft. A heavy callus can become water soggy and soft. Then that cut is deeper. Take care

locvetter, Fishybuzz and Shon like this.
  9. Elitetv1958

Elitetv1958 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Music
    1. It's amazing how quickly catching a personal best (254 YFT) can cancel out the second-guessing and self-pity of the previous 4.5 days without a bite.

10. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    True in Life as well

11. Spanky79

Spanky79 Happiest on the water

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on
    Like others have said, enjoy each trip like it could be your last. I had to take a 10 year break, due to financial issues. I was able to take a 1.5 day trip last week. I was the only one not to pull on a fish. Didn't recheck the drag the next morning and pulled all 4 hooks in seconds, I'm a dummy.
    This 1.5 day was probably one of the best trips I have been on. Yes, I got skunked. But, the cree of the Pacific Dawn was as top notch as they get. Ad the group of people we had on this trip was awsome.
    I will make it a point this summer up get out af fish with DOG on the Pacific Dawn.
    Now the preparation and waiting until summer begins.

locvetter likes this.
  12. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    I like to do this, too, but it's kind of frustrating throwing cig butts in the trash and then seeing the whole trash bag get thrown over the side of the boat later in the trip.

13. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    If we are talking about June Heat, Workplacesafety corrected me with the name Julio, but not a normal June Heat rider. At least 85% riders on that trip are regulars... Donna asked him not to smoke at the rail too..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    locvetter likes this.
  14. Spanky79

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on
    he would either get a big splash from the bait tank, or the cigar would wind up overboard.

15. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    my first really big long trips did not understand the concept of fishing the conditions. star was on the boat and I eventually realized that he was hunting not fishing and he knew the conditions and fished the conditions. so I would watch hime and use him as an indicator of when and how to fish the conditions
    then I would ask the crew, what would you be doing right now?
    fishing the conditions starts the min I walk on the boat
    who has the right gear
    who has their gear dialed in and organized
    who knows how to really rig their gear
    these people will be indicators of the conditions for me, they may figure them out before I do
    I watch the chunk line and the kite/when do they start to go
    what is the current
    what time of day
    what kind of bait day to day
    who is up and who is not
    and my number 1 technique is sleeping/ fatigue makes us all poor fisherman. it pairs our intuition and our subcouncous sense of our surroundings and our sense of other peoples body language and non verbal communication
    I look like I have never been fishing in my life if I become sleep deprived
    on the other hand, I can look insanely lucky

Fishybuzz, Bill W and locvetter like this.
  16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Just find a different trip

17. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    So the no-smoker should have to find another boat to fish because some one doesn't have the curiosity to think about other people??
    Other places to smoke if you have to.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

locvetter and Bill W like this.
  18. Spanky79

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on
    of course, after that trip is over

locvetter likes this.
  19. Spanky79

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    anything I can get on
    like I said, he would get a bath, or the cigar would be overboard. I would ask once, but if he has been asked several times ad refuses, well, he get what he has coming.

locvetter likes this.
  20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member

Name:
    Nicholas Bronson
    Boat:
    themodcatfish
    I have very recently (like over this past week, more precisely on Friday, 11-5 at 1:47 pm) learned that wahoo swim really fast. Like, really, REALLY fast. And in crazy directions.
    And that when you hook up mid-starboard side and the fish rooster-tails your line around the stern and toward the port corner in about 0.8 seconds, that the crew will yell "Freespool!!!" very loudly and multiple times, and that when you do freespool, then fall over "R2D2" at the stern (Vagabond anglers know him well...), stumble up with your bare thumb on the freespooling line, run as fast as your 55-year-old legs will carry your overweight body, chase the fish all the way to the bow, get the reel in gear, necessarily reeling over a backlash, the fish having already gone under the bow to the original starboard side, then turn back almost as quick and go back under the bow in the opposite direction, then finally get your fish vertical mid-port side...all without tangling or beheading a single other angler - many with fish on of their own - and then actually LAND that fish...well, you are one very, VERY lucky angler.
    Now, I'm not saying this happened to ME, mind you, just something I learned on Friday. At 1:47 pm. How, exactly, I got the 1" by 3/8" 2nd-degree burn on my thumb at precisely that spot that it WOULD be if you were putting pressure on a freespooling reel, well...I'm blaming those pesky skipjack runs I tried to throttle with my thumb on the spool to land them quickly. I mean, skippies are pretty fast, too, right? Right? :rolleyes:

Bill W, Brad I, terryc. and 3 others like this.