Stuck in forward gear, won't shift into neutral or reverse

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Strictly Irons, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Strictly Irons

Strictly Irons @strictlyirons

Name:
    Strictly Irons
    Boat:
    17' Center Console
    Hey everyone just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem and can help in any way. I have a mercury 115hp and recently while using it the gears stuck in forward. When I move the throttle to reverse the boat revs and goes forward. And when I start the boat it starts in forward with the prop spinning instead of in neutral. I replaced the shifting cables and checked the throttle housing where that is all ok, and I was informed it could be something in the lower unit not being aligned, but when I drop the lower I cant find what it is.
    Any advice would be appreciated,
    CJ

2. NASTYHABTS26

NASTYHABTS26 Pescado Bonita 26 ft Pang

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    26 ft Apex Diesel Panga Pescado Bonita
    May be as simple as a missing washer on the shift cable linkage, that happened to me once.

3. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Disconnect the shift cable at the motor and then try F/N/R while idling.Shift the motors linkage not the control box.That will tell you if its control box or adjustment related.

STOEAWAYY and Bottom Line like this.
  4. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Your shift rod connection(s) came apart when the engine was in forward gear. You are moving the cable but it isn't connected to the shift rod inside the engine cowling. That's why it's starting in forward gear on you.

Re-attach the shift rod to the cable shift assembly.

STOEAWAYY likes this.
  5. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    I had a pair of 1989 two stroke Yamaha 150's for many years. At that time the shift rod on this model was not made of stainless steel, and over time this rod got tweeked on both engines. This resulted in each outboard being stuck in forward. I do not know what year your outboard is or if this is a problem with Mercury outboards.

6. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    Any word on what the problem turned out to be?

Paul

7. stuman

stuman Brawndo the thirst mutilator

Name:
    stu
    Boat:
    skiff
    I'm thinking, if it were in fwd gear it wouldn't start.

8. Strictly Irons

Name:
    Strictly Irons
    Boat:
    17' Center Console
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I just worked on it to try the things everyone said, and the cables and shift linkage in the upper unit seems to be fine as when i have the lower unit off it moves fine and goes into each gear. The main problem I have found is when I am manually shifting the gears with the lower unit off, I can click it into each gear but when i do this the reverse doesn't work. The only way I can explain it is I click the gear manually using the lower shaft in the lower unit and it goes into forward (prop goes forward), it goes into neutral (prop spins free), but when it clicks into what should be reverse the prop still spins in the forward motion.
    If there is anyone that can understand what I tried to explain and point me in the right direction it would be appreciated
    Thanks, CJ

9. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    When you are trying to shift it with the shift rod are you turning the prop or the connecting shaft ? trying to shift gears with nothing rotating could be an issue.You replaced cables to try and fix this problem or this started after replacing cables ?

10. Strictly Irons

Name:
    Strictly Irons
    Boat:
    17' Center Console
    I'm trying to shift the gear while moving the lower shift rod, and then turning the prop to see which direction, which is staying in the forward motion. I also replaced the cable first because one seemed like it was jammed up from being old, and then figured out of this problem

11. plj46

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Make sure you are turning the prop or the mainshaft(the one that has a spline that fits into the crankshaft) when trying to shift into F/N/R.Lower units on an outboard should be spinning to go into gear.Turn the mainshaft the same direction as the motor runs to make sure its in a certain gear or not.If that checks out ok maybe its a worn out control/shift box ?

12. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Weird it rod shifts to neutral, then will shift in to reverse but the prop spins forward with the shift rod manually engaged in reverse.

That's a gear-set or something else waaaay beyond my pay-grade :D

plj46 likes this.
  13. cvycbob

cvycbob Newbie

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    19' cc
    years ago when I had a 115 merc. had lower unit off I had same problem. Seems I had to have shifter in reverse to install lower unit or some thing like that.

Strictly Irons and 26grumpy like this.