Stripper guide question

Uncle Joe

Jun 28, 2011
NY USA
Name
Joe
Boat
24 FT Grady White
Hey guys....I just built myself a MH 7ft saltwater spinning rod for casting surface plugs. While loading my reel I noticed that as I turned the crank the line only contacted the bottom half of the stripper guide. Is this a problem? Will it affect casting?
Thanks, Joe

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
How far from the top of the top of the reel is the guide?

It seems like it might not be in the correct position.

Another thing to consider is what kind of rod is it? Is it for surf fishing for stripers? Or big tuna. For tuna, i would say it might need to be redone. Pics would alo help. Pics of it under load, full max drag you will be using.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe

Jun 28, 2011
NY USA
Name
Joe
Boat
24 FT Grady White
The guide is 22 inches from the top of the reel....Tough to get pics of the rod in action.....I am snowbound in NY right now but.....I think the stripper is too small for the reel (Okuma Cedros CJ-65S) I may just swap it out.

Reactions: auqman and jg125

mikek

Jul 21, 2009
Florida
Name
Mike
Boat
Scout 162
Pics would help. That's a pretty large reel. I don't think it will cause any casting problems but when loaded with the bail line roller all the way at the bottom, I bet you have a pretty noticeable angle in the line going through that guide. If you used Fuji KL guides go to a size 30 or if KW guides could even try size 40.