newell doctor

Surf for life
Jan 22, 2012
magnolia, texas
Name
jerry powers
Boat
one with a good captain
just got my new CS gf-800xh and want your opinions on proper stripper guide mount position from real seat center , I've wrapped a few 5' tuna sticks and surf rods but this is alittle different , also about what length forgripp are you guys using I was thinking about a 12-14" . Jerry

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Agree with Fishy, but for a casting rod the reel diameter is important. The line comes off the reel as a wave and different diameter spools will change the sweet spot. (At least that is what a pro rod wrapper told me) That being said I would look at a factory wrapped rod and do some measurements.

Or just do what Fishy suggested...

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0

newell doctor

Surf for life
    Jan 22, 2012
    magnolia, texas
    Name
    jerry powers
    Boat
    one with a good captain
    I saw you over there... A long time ago I had this same question when I was wrapping rods. A squidder size was about 22" and a jig master was around 24 inches. Seems Bill on the rod building board had the answer that worked for me.

http://anglersresource.net/StaticLoadTutorial.aspx
    ok thanks that sounds right to me as I built my own static testing jig yrs ago for all guide placement and 22" to 24 sounds good , question whats your opinion on using the new Fuji LC number 12m as a stripper then the MN for the rest as Richie recommends, man this is a big step down from the old turbo type that was traditionally used for years but I am down with new and better performing equipment . Jerry

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    ok thanks that sounds right to me as I built my own static testing jig yrs ago for all guide placement and 22" to 24 sounds good , question whats your opinion on using the new Fuji LC number 12m as a stripper then the MN for the rest as Richie recommends, man this is a big step down from the old turbo type that was traditionally used for years but I am down with new and better performing equipment . Jerry

I will be honost with you wrapping is not my thing. There are so many good wrappers that post on the wrappers board. Most of my rods have titanium turbos and I would not recommend that guide...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
    Northern CA
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    none
    just got my new CS gf-800xh and want your opinions on proper stripper guide mount position from real seat center , I've wrapped a few 5' tuna sticks and surf rods but this is alittle different , also about what length forgripp are you guys using I was thinking about a 12-14" . Jerry

22-24" is a good place to start but you need to test it fully loading up the rod with a reel that has the same or similar spool height.

As for guides I would use BHNNG or BMNAG

Upvote 0