Stripper guide orientation

mwardncsu

• Sep 23, 2009
    Mebane, NC
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None (for now)
    Getting ready to build on a set of Rainshadow RCTB66H’s for a friend. First time building on a heavier rod like this. They are going to be setup with the reel seat about 12.5” from the bottom of the gimbal (putting the middle of the reel seat right at 16” - 16.5” from bottom of gimbal) abs a 12” foregrip.

Using a size 20 HXN for the stripper and currently planning to place it 40” from the tip per the Batson guide spacing recommendation - at least till I try to static test it.

there will be a mix of reels on these - Penn 60LD’s, Avet 30EXW maybe HXW and and LX

wondering if I should turn the stripper guide rear facing to avoid potential for line touching the frame? Unfortunately I don’t have any of his reels in hand or available to testing is going to be a little challenging... best I can probably do is to put a Avet MXL on it to test.

DEB36E47-3D3D-48B5-B8F8-F0556AD1514A.jpeg

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Instead of turning the guide around, you could just move it rearward 3/4" and it would still look like it's installed correctly.

Reactions: Capt Richie
    Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    I would suggest you move the guide to 41 or 42in from the tip. You dont need to put it backwards.

And you cant static test that rod with an MXL, i wouod suggest you ask someone local if you can borrow a big game reel to test it out.

Upvote 0

mwardncsu

• Sep 23, 2009
    Mebane, NC
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    None (for now)
    I guess I’m confused as moving the Striper guide closer to the reel would worsen the issue of the line potentially contacting the side supports of the guide - which I thought was the reason some flip the guide around so it only comes in contact with the ring - as the arms are then forward facing

Upvote 0

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    I flip the guide on spinning rods. On casting/conventional rods, if you move the guide closer to the reel, it makes it so the line doesnt touch the grip or blank. The line is not going to touch the side supports of the ring on this rod. I would see it potentially being a problem on 130lb+ rods with 30-50lbs of drag.

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
    Aug 10, 2008
    nassau NY
    Name
    Richie
    Boat
    32 albe
    I have no idea where you should place it...The rod will tell you..things that you should take into consideration ,,where the rod crowns in front of the reel seat ..make sure the line it touching the bottom of the ring when under load ..and not heavy load but just loaded..
    you maybe better off using one of the american tackle high frame guides in a 16 ring instead of a low frame 20 ring...and test test test

Upvote 0

Latest posts