PENN

ckster

Oct 8, 2009
SD
Name
Chris
Boat
F/V Rubber Ducky
Anyone else see that the SD out of seaforth caught and released a striped marlin? Anyone on it that boat snap a pic?

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
The entire vibe gets all f'd up when you take the fish. I've done it plenty of times in tournaments and its a downer to watch a fish like that die. Way more cool to do the whole deal properly including how you use the boat to shorten the fight and then a perfect release on a still lit up fish.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
sport boats are considered commercial boats? even though they have to abide by recreational rules?

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
You can't take marlin on a commercial vessel in California.

can you clarify that? particularly the dif between this thread - talking about a recreational sportfishing boat - and a commercial fishing vessel.
Then - if a sportfishing vessel is a commercial fishing vessel - when did that regulation be put into place? I want to make sure that I'm well past the "statutes of limitations" ........

Upvote 0

Fowl Play

Sep 22, 2014
LA
vimeo.com
Name
Tom
Boat
N/A
More importantly... there were 51 people on that boat... no one got a picture? (not doubting that they hooked one, just would be great to see pics and figure out what the definition of "released" is on a sportboat).

Upvote 0

oh da shiz

did you say go pheeesh
Jun 13, 2006
Escondido
Name
Jason
Boat
Ranger Z21
It's always funny that when you see any type of bill fish listed in a thread you always have someone saying it should be released... Who cares if it's released or kept! It's a legal catch and the angler or boat can do as they choose.

To all the guys who always chime in with they should be released are misinformed! The bill fish (Blue's, Black's, Striped, Sail's, Spear, Short Bill, & Broad) population is not endangered...... I always find it amusing when this is said. Just because off the coast of San Diego there are not substantial counts of these being caught just means the water temps in our area are not the optimal desired temps for these guys. Do your research, become educated then form you opinion.... I've fished many of years here in San Diego, Mexico, and Hawaii. Then again, opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one....

Upvote 0

Fowl Play

Sep 22, 2014
LA
vimeo.com
Name
Tom
Boat
N/A
I know there's allot of debate about this, but numerous studies have been done to show the survival rate of tagged and released billfish. Here's one if you feel like reading http://ww.themarlinclub.com/2004/MarlinMortalityStudy.pdf Quote from the abstract "In total, 16 of 61 fish died (mortality rate of 26.2%), all within 5 days of release (mean 1.5 days). Injury was a clear predictor of mortality; 100% of fish that were bleeding from the gill cavity died, 63% of fish hooked deep died, and 9% of those released in good condition died." So you can't expect to bring a fish that big, that's fighting for its life the whole time, to the boat, release it, and just have it be all rainbows and butterflies afterword. If there's any hint of injury to the fish, you might as well keep it and feed your friends and family. They taste fantastic, and are not in danger.

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
I know there's allot of debate about this, but numerous studies have been done to show the survival rate of tagged and released billfish. Here's one if you feel like reading http://ww.themarlinclub.com/2004/MarlinMortalityStudy.pdf Quote from the abstract "In total, 16 of 61 fish died (mortality rate of 26.2%), all within 5 days of release (mean 1.5 days). Injury was a clear predictor of mortality; 100% of fish that were bleeding from the gill cavity died, 63% of fish hooked deep died, and 9% of those released in good condition died." So you can't expect to bring a fish that big, that's fighting for its life the whole time, to the boat, release it, and just have it be all rainbows and butterflies afterword. If there's any hint of injury to the fish, you might as well keep it and feed your friends and family. They taste fantastic, and are not in danger.

A lot has changed in the design of hooks since 2004, as well as the focus on how to release them healthy. A bleeding fish should not be released. A deep hook should not be removed. Use the boat to release them early. (The best part of the fight are the strike and the release anyway.). Use circle hooks for bait. Use single hook rigs for lures. Done right, a very small percentage are too injured to release.

This post is about a 3/4 day boat. Can't imagine a 2/0 hook on a sardine results in much injury.

Reactions: surfgoose
Upvote 0

Bodegacowboy

Aug 24, 2011
Rio Oso
Name
Mike
Boat
2520XL Parker
It's always funny that when you see any type of bill fish listed in a thread you always have someone saying it should be released... Who cares if it's released or kept! It's a legal catch and the angler or boat can do as they choose.

To all the guys who always chime in with they should be released are misinformed! The bill fish (Blue's, Black's, Striped, Sail's, Spear, Short Bill, & Broad) population is not endangered...... I always find it amusing when this is said. Just because off the coast of San Diego there are not substantial counts of these being caught just means the water temps in our area are not the optimal desired temps for these guys. Do your research, become educated then form you opinion.... I've fished many of years here in San Diego, Mexico, and Hawaii. Then again, opinions are like arse holes, everyone has one....

I agree, BTW Marlin is great eating! Really good smoked.....and just to add fuel to the fire.......... I'd love to ride a Japanese Whaler , fire the harpoon gun and feel that big bastard rattle the ship when he pulls taunt on the cable! Yeah baby!

Reactions: bloodfart
Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
I agree, BTW Marlin is great eating! Really good smoked.....and just to add fuel to the fire.......... I'd love to ride a Japanese Whaler , fire the harpoon gun and feel that big bastard rattle the ship when he pulls taunt on the cable! Yeah baby!

Sadly, the bar has just been lowered as far as it can go.

barf

Upvote 0

Fowl Play

Sep 22, 2014
LA
vimeo.com
Name
Tom
Boat
N/A
A lot has changed in the design of hooks since 2004, as well as the focus on how to release them healthy. A bleeding fish should not be released. A deep hook should not be removed. Use the boat to release them early. (The best part of the fight are the strike and the release anyway.). Use circle hooks for bait. Use single hook rigs for lures. Done right, a very small percentage are too injured to release.

This post is about a 3/4 day boat. Can't imagine a 2/0 hook on a sardine results in much injury.

Have you read of a recent study that goes into as much detail as that 2004 one? Would love to see how much the tackle improvements helped those numbers.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon

Whats an arse hole?

Upvote 0

rwagner

Sep 23, 2006
carlsbad, ca.
Name
Richard Wagner
Boat
25, Seaswirl Striper 2301DC
It's all about you right? That's not what my nine year old son said when he caught one of his marlin that had an old rusting barnacle encrusted long line hook and leader in its bill, was the size of a softball. All he cared about was getting the hook out and letting him go, kept the hook and leader, best trophy he owns. No, he's an athlete and daily surfin kid and has lots of stuff. I agree with letting them go, killed a 450 blue because I was a pussy and took too long to get him home. Felt like shit, beautiful animal. Tight lines brothers.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Stripey on a 3/4 sportboat?

You can't take marlin on a commercial vessel in California.

can you clarify that? particularly the dif between this thread - talking about a recreational sportfishing boat - and a commercial fishing vessel.
Then - if a sportfishing vessel is a commercial fishing vessel - when did that regulation be put into place? I want to make sure that I'm well past the "statutes of limitations" ........

7856(f) only applies when the commercial vessel is on a commercial trip.

I think the point is why?

thank you. o_O

Upvote 0