Striped Bass on Surface Iron

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Fishing Reports' started by Tautog_17, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Tautog_17

Tautog_17 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    Not much activity on this board, but I figured I'd post anyway.

Used to fish in Mass and RI quite a bit a few years back (Quincy, Hull, Newport, Sakonnet, Point Judith areas...), before moving to SoCal.

Never heard of a "surface iron" until I moved out West.

Was back in town this week, and finally got around to seeing if I could get a bass to bite a surface iron. I caught a few RI blues on surface irons in the past - but they'll eat anything.

So, went down to the Fore River (NE side / King Cove area) about 1 hour before sunrise at the bottom of low tide and fished this white "OCT-10" / "Z-Bar" surface iron for the first hour of the outgoing tide.

Got a few boils on it and one fish that came unbuttoned. But, one finally stuck. Small bass, but it's a start. Spit the trebble as soon it was beached, thankfully. Glad to see that a east coast bass can be caught on a west coast jig - I'll have to keep trying - looks promising. Funny that I never heard of, or fished, a surface iron while I lived in the Boston area. Wouldn't be my go-to daytime or sunny-conditions jig, but I'm trying again tomorrow in the early morning...crimping down two of the three trebbles.

IMG_3555.JPG IMG_3533.JPG

Surfer Ed, skotz, widgeon and 9 others like this.
  2. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    You have better luck than me. I tried in the 80s and 2000 for nothing. The only west coast fishing style that worked for me was flylined live or fresh dead squid. Used to jig one and flylined worked perfect. Now you got me thinking if adding a bucktail on the surface iron would have worked?

3. Tautog_17

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    Actually, I was think of that to because the poppers I use on the east coast all have a hair/tail at the back treble. Not sure if that would affect the swimming of the jig though.

4. mcrae

mcrae Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for the report. I have had great days fishing Big Hammer swim baits and Optimum swim baits of the boats sailing out of Brooklyn. West coast tactics on East coast bass can be a lot of fun.

Tautog_17 likes this.
  5. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Wondered the same thing about gts (ulua)in Hawaii as the fish were visible at a drop off called rainbows in front of my dads house that i surfed a lot ..fished em on bait daily and It was my last week there do I decided to try it.. the locals saw my 45s rigged up as I was paddling off the beach and looked at me like I was from another planet..
    2nd cast had a blowup and got about a 30 lber and was stoked ...
    About my 5th cast I hooked a giant which instead of heading for the reef turned offshore and was smokin me on 50 lb..
    Buttoned down and went on a sleigh ride on my inflatable kayak .. got about a mile outside the reef and could see the wind line comin fast.. had no choice but to bust it off as I wanted no part of whitecaps in that thing but was stoked to have it happen..

6. bigcountry1219

bigcountry1219 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    none
    This looks a lot like a diamond jig to me? I have to imagine that a lot of fishing techniques from other parts of the world will work here... although just like anywhere else, finding what might work at any given time is key. I'd bet that there are plenty of times that the surface iron wouldn't work here, but something like a pencil popper would work. Then there are probably times that the pencil wouldn't work and the surface iron would. Then times where neither or both would would. All about figuring out the fish. Definitely can't hurt to have more fish catching techniques in your arsenal.

7. Tautog_17

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    It's actually an OCT-10 surface iron - not a diamond jig. A slower type retrieve sideways (across) a current seems to make it swim steadily. I caught a few bluefish on surface irons to - but then again, bluefish will eat anything that moves right? It was more about the challenge of trying to catch a bass on something different with this surface iron - I'll keep experimenting with it.

skotz, terryc. and crabdancer like this.
  8. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    That Cape Cod Canal fish seems like it gets fired up on finbait enough to eat the surface iron.

Might be the wrong time of year for that fishery but I'd love to spend a couple weeks back there trying to figure it out before and after work.

9. mcrae

mcrae Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Flat falls might be worth trying.

10. finsane

finsane Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    None
    The original Kicker Jig website had a pic of a guy holding striper that appeared to be caught on one of their jigs. That was about 12 years ago I think.

11. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    Tady Lures is making a push back east, and has a sales rep plus several pros who have been working to figure out the specifics of the various fisheries.
    Like anywhere else, it can matter a lot which jig you fish, and how you do it.

12. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Pretty sure if the fish are up top and chasing stuff the size of a surface iron they will eat a surface iron.

See episode of local knowledge with the Cobia chasing them around.

13. dctalk523

dctalk523 Member

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never