Mar 3, 2021
long beach
Name
Jeff Stark
Boat
no boat
I went on YouTube this morning and watched some rock fish videos as we are all doing right now. Then I saw a video that changed my mind this kid was targeting saltwater striper in southern california at a spot in long beach. He was catching big ones to I'm very impressed and would like to know if anyone knows more of this. there YouTube channel is called hog squad fishing. Here's the link to the video as well.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
That was a cool vid. Didn't watch it all. But they got into some quality size stripers.

Reminds me when I was kid fishing the Delta in Pittsburg from the rock shore in the harbor. We would find them at night. Lost most.

Upvote 0

SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
charkbait.com
Name
Sergey Smith
Boat
Imaginary
There are guys catching them consistently and they get pretty big. Can be very picky but the conditions of the spots matter more than anything. Throw nothing under 5", white swimbaits and bigger jerkbaits seem to be the ticket.

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
Sep 8, 2012
United States
Name
Jeremy Rodda
Boat
15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
The fishery in SoCal is not well established, but it does exist.

At the right times, they're in the surf from SB to SD (and beyond SB, obviously), and some seem to catch them with some predictability. I am not one of those people, but I know of a couple people who have managed to stay on top of them. Haven't heard of them inside LB harbor like those guys though.

Big jerkbaits/swimbaits and rocky structure seem to be common factors. I've seen poppers work but to a lesser extent. You don't see striper foamers out here, very often anyway.

Presumably they don't spawn in SoCal, instead traveling down here, and then back up to San Joaquin River and Sacramento River April-June to spawn. That's to say their spawning might be the only reason the resident stripers would leave SoCal, as they seem to enjoy the water temp down here year round.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
Looks like they were fishing a very high tide judging by how high that water was up the bank to that platform. Kind of reminds me of some of those vids of guys catching big Stripers from the inlets on topwater plugs and sebile swimmers back east, just smaller and a lot less fish and spots out here.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I know nothing about it here but eveverything about it back East.

I'd say target winter/early spring. Look for big tides, whereever has the most tidal flow + some structure (docks, rocks, rips) and light at night.

That being said our water temp is ideal for them year round. We just don't have the current they normally want down here. Those big broad tails aren't made to chase bait, they are made to hold head into current and feed.

Butchalito

Sep 27, 2008
    La Mirada, CA, USA
    Name
    Butch
    Boat
    None
    SpSKXym.jpg

Here is a small 24"er I caught in 2016, on a ghost shrimp, while chasing corbina on Alamitos Peninsula...
    Butch