The.flying.pancho

In the flying circus
Nov 3, 2019
Victorville Ca
Name
Armando V.
Boat
Your boat
So I have a 1986 skipjack open fisher 24foot. Boat runs good, outdrive just got serviced with new oil and boots. New impeller and full tune up on the ol V8. I picked this boat up last year with the Intent of parting it out to fix another skipjack I had. Well that one went away and I kept this one. Well during the 10 month that I’ve owned it I overlooked one important part, stringers. Well, now I have the bottom right stringer that is soft. The bottom left is sounding solid, but not sure. The other upper two are rock solid.

So my dilema is, do I fix the stringer or sell boat as is? I’ve never done fiberglass repair and I don’t think I have the time to venture into this. So my question for the group, how much have you paid a shop in the past to repair one or two stringers? I can remove the floor, and the fuel tank and surrounding components. All the shop has to do is replace the bottom stringer.

What is the groups thoughts?

BE3809A1-4EFA-444B-82AE-DC72FC966CCA.jpeg

bmartin5

May 17, 2013
Covina
Name
brandon
Boat
Tintanic
How about drilling some test holes to see how wet it is? Are they just soft or do they seem like their mulch? Maybe cut the tops off the stringer and pour some epoxy in?

Then insure it, and keep an inflatable on boat. Use it till it breaks xD

Maybe not the best advice, but it's free, and it's what I did to my skipjacks stringer 🥳

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open

Honestly, this is kinda what I wish I would've done with my Skipjack. My journey started right about where you're at. The more I dug into it, the more problems I found. 3 years later, I'm still rebuilding it. Good luck with what ever you decide.

The.flying.pancho

In the flying circus
Nov 3, 2019
Victorville Ca
Name
Armando V.
Boat
Your boat
How about drilling some test holes to see how wet it is? Are they just soft or do they seem like their mulch? Maybe cut the tops off the stringer and pour some epoxy in?

Maybe not the best advice, but it's free, and it's what I did to my skipjacks stringer 🥳
That’s some of the research that I’m finding. Like I said I have never dealt with this. I’m more towards paying some one to replace it. I’m sure a shop will be faster and efficient than if I tackled the job. I can do most of the floor and component removal. Hmmm I’m at a crossroads with this boat.

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
If you decide to get it done think about driving the boat to Nevada or Arizona. If you are still in the high desert.

bmartin5

May 17, 2013
Covina
Name
brandon
Boat
Tintanic
That’s some of the research that I’m finding. Like I said I have never dealt with this. I’m more towards paying some one to replace it. I’m sure a shop will be faster and efficient than if I tackled the job. I can do most of the floor and component removal. Hmmm I’m at a crossroads with this boat.

More perspective from my end, I've called quite a few shops around so cal. Some recommended that I do it myself and that "it's not that difficult", others have told me no because it isn't worth it, and a few have given me quotes around 3-5k. I **assuming** that included replacing the deck theyd tear out, but you never know. Almost EVERY SINGLE PLACE told me that it was opening up a can of worms like fishgrappler mentioned.

Easiest example of pouring epoxy into the stringers can be seen here: https://youtu. be/sRsdLcL_FRs (remove the space)

If you do go this route, you can't pour epoxy in in mass amounts. When it kicks off, it'll get hotter than hell. Multiple shallow pours are your friend, and the lower the temp in the epoxys working temp, the longer it'll take to cure, it won't get AS hot. I say pouring epoxy because the sad reality is that once you start digging YOU will have to be the one to tell yourself when to stop.

Also, what happened to your $100 center console boat? :0

Again, my advice is free, I am not liable for your decisions. The are based in my experience. 1708 seems pretty cheap on Amazon :)

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Look into Seacast, it’s a pourable transom and stringer repair compound. Some people swear by it

The.flying.pancho

In the flying circus
Nov 3, 2019
Victorville Ca
Name
Armando V.
Boat
Your boat
More perspective from my end, I've called quite a few shops around so cal. Some recommended that I do it myself and that "it's not that difficult", others have told me no because it isn't worth it, and a few have given me quotes around 3-5k. I **assuming** that included replacing the deck theyd tear out, but you never know. Almost EVERY SINGLE PLACE told me that it was opening up a can of worms like fishgrappler mentioned.

Easiest example of pouring epoxy into the stringers can be seen here: https://youtu. be/sRsdLcL_FRs (remove the space)

If you do go this route, you can't pour epoxy in in mass amounts. When it kicks off, it'll get hotter than hell. Multiple shallow pours are your friend, and the lower the temp in the epoxys working temp, the longer it'll take to cure, it won't get AS hot. I say pouring epoxy because the sad reality is that once you start digging YOU will have to be the one to tell yourself when to stop.

Also, what happened to your $100 center console boat? :0

Again, my advice is free, I am not liable for your decisions. The are based in my experience. 1708 seems pretty cheap on Amazon :)

Thanks for the perspective, I have been looking at the possibility of repairing on my own. Just cannot guarantee the time and space. Since this will be a few week project. I cannot have the boat parked in my driveway very long since it sticks out on the side walk. I’m very inclined to try the epoxy.

As for the $100 center console, well after a few month of buying it, my dads medical condition got worse and the insurance ran out. So I sold it to help pay some of his medical expenses. Sadly, my dad passed away in May. I think god put me in that right place and the right time To buy it because he knew what was coming. Been in the active duty military for 20 years and counting, been away from my folk for most of it. So I was here and able to help. I’m grateful I was able too.

Reactions: bmartin5
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Is there a possibility you can just bolt on another stringer (coated) onto the damaged ones? and, strengthen the damaged stringers? Another question is what is the source of the water intrusion causing the problem?...if salt intrusion, you may find a corroded fuel tank with issues. If it is only stringers, you are ahead of the game....

URN

Almost A Member
  • Feb 20, 2018
    Anchorage
    Name
    URN
    Boat
    Whaler 25
    So I have a 1986 skipjack open fisher 24foot. Boat runs good, outdrive just got serviced with new oil and boots. New impeller and full tune up on the ol V8. I picked this boat up last year with the Intent of parting it out to fix another skipjack I had. Well that one went away and I kept this one. Well during the 10 month that I’ve owned it I overlooked one important part, stringers. Well, now I have the bottom right stringer that is soft. The bottom left is sounding solid, but not sure. The other upper two are rock solid.

So my dilema is, do I fix the stringer or sell boat as is? I’ve never done fiberglass repair and I don’t think I have the time to venture into this. So my question for the group, how much have you paid a shop in the past to repair one or two stringers? I can remove the floor, and the fuel tank and surrounding components. All the shop has to do is replace the bottom stringer.

What is the groups thoughts?

View attachment 1206724
    I heard about a company that uses dried air and lots of little tubes installed in a wet area to force dry it out.

dryboat.com is who does it.

I bet you could use a shop air compressor with these tube manifolds:

Use poly tubing available at just about any hardware store.

Drill lots of holes in the stringer and insert the tubes. Use an undersize drill bit so its a tight squeeze. Leave some holes open so the air has a place to vent out. You could use desiccant driers in the air stream to keep condensation down from the compressor. When dry enough fill the holes/cavity with epoxy.

I've never done this but it sounds like a possibility.

bmartin5

May 17, 2013
    Covina
    Name
    brandon
    Boat
    Tintanic
    I looked into seacast before going the epoxy route myself, and from everything I've read, it works great! BUT you have to use it for the entire stringer. All the way, not just to fill in a section. And it's quite pricey. :0

The.flying.pancho

In the flying circus
    Nov 3, 2019
    Victorville Ca
    Name
    Armando V.
    Boat
    Your boat
    Is there a possibility you can just bolt on another stringer (coated) onto the damaged ones? and, strengthen the damaged stringers? Another question is what is the source of the water intrusion causing the problem?...if salt intrusion, you may find a corroded fuel tank with issues. If it is only stringers, you are ahead of the game....
    I could not find the source of water intrusion, I suspect it was the drain plug since the boat was slipped. Another possible suspect is the impeller. After a day on the water, the bilge had some water and the bilge pump would kick on. Rebuilt the impeller and now it’s dry.

I haven’t seen anything as far as strengthening. Might be a possibility.

MightyMach

Aug 17, 2007
    Corona
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Phoenix 29 SFX "Given Inn," 17' Duckhungint boat, "Camo-Toe"
    My Phoenix had 2 rotten stingers. I cut 2 parallel lines on the top of my stringer with a skill saw and drilled out 2 perpendicular lines on each end of the 2 long cuts. Remove the cap. Buy a $50 harbor freight electric chain saw and go to town.

Vacuum everything out and pour in a pourable transom repair epoxy.

I used this 5 or 6 gallons of this. The stuff is insane.

The.flying.pancho

In the flying circus
    Nov 3, 2019
    Victorville Ca
    Name
    Armando V.
    Boat
    Your boat
    Well after lots of thought and a few awesome fishing trips. I decided to tackle the job of repairing the stringers. I’m going to do probably both bottom stringers. So I will spend the next months doing research and buying supplies. I want to have everything ready to tackle in the least amount of time. I will start a build thread and ask lots of questions. Going to upgrade a few things along the way. This boat is just too nice to junk or ride it till it breaks. Every time I take it out, I love it even more. I had a buyer, even shook on it, thought it was going to a good home. He back out with out the decency of calling me and letting me know. Oh well, I was sad to see it go but That was enough to make me realize how much I love this boat. So thank you all for your input. I look forward to the build thread comments.

Reactions: mike mitchell

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    There is a shop located in Pomona that quoted me $1k for resurface deck then if there is stringer repair needed could go up to $2k. My boat is a 22' center console. Off season is close so good luck with project as many guys including myself have work to do also. pm me if you want the contact info for deck repair.