wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
2 DAY PRIVATE charter on the Grande August 12-13.

Fish Report First

Area Fished Day 1
40 miles south and 20 miles offshore from Salsipuedes (according to my gps). Not much swell. Breezy 10 mph and building throughout the day. Lots of scattered schools of fish. Only a few schools that would bite. Picked up some YFT (less than 20 lbs in this zone) and some decent 15 lb dorado. Live bait on 25 lb test with #2 hooks. Bait looked great but they would swim more than 20 feet before they just ran out of steam. The few that would take off would get bit. Count for day 1 was 60 yft and 2 dorado. Mainly used a shimano chronarch 200e7 (50 spectra to 25 lb leaser) on a gloomis rod for fun. Brought lots of bigger gear but none of it was needed as the fish were all under 30 lbs (most about 20 lbs).

Area Fished Day 2
30 miles from Point Loma. Approximately 10 miles south west of the Coronado Islands. YFT and Dorado. Same deal. Lots of scattered schools of fish. Just like the other schools they are feeding on their own bait balls. Every 10-15 schools would have a few fish that came off the school. Fish were a little better in size in this zone. Can’t miss the area as the entire fleet is down there. 25 lb test with #2 hooks. A few dorado on bait. Fished mainly a curado and avets as the fish were slightly bigger here but still small. Still no need for the bigger talica/trini’s as we didn’t see any bft.

Both days we had lots of fish pick up the bait and spit it quickly only to bring in mangled bait. Boat had quite a few casualties from guys not communicating with each other. Wind was howling a good 20 mph at times. Check your leaders!!!!! Lost 2 in a row instantly as the line was extremely brittle after the deckhands stomped on the hook/line to pop them off the fish. Tested it after I popped the 2 in a row to realize it would break at about 6 lbs of pressure. Retied and was good to go.

I think the total count for the boat was 80 mixed fish. I decked 14 of them (yft) & 1 dodo so not too bad a trip.

STOWAWAY!!!!!!!!!!
So I charted the boat for a company trip 2 DAY CHARTER with clients and vendors. I did not know everyone on board as they were guests of other employees.

KEY WORDS: TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed all 22 of my guys in and turned in our manifest. At some point before we left the dock a 23rd angler snuck on board. Most of us were already down below or in the galley waiting. Crew asked the guy are you on this boat and he said YES. So he comes aboard.

Captain gives a speech. “Welcome to the Grande….2 DAY CHARTER….” I give a speech “Welcome….2 DAY CHARTER….” We hand out tons of free shiet and raffle prizes.

Didn’t really notice the guy as he hid in the back and never said a word, plus all 22 of my guys signed our manifest and we turned it in right after.

First day of fishing the guy keeps to himself, doesn’t talk to anyone. Thought he was the part of the crew until the end of the day when the cook Oscar asks me how many in your charter. I say 22. He says are you sure? Captain said to cook for 23 all day and Oscar told him there’s 22. Hmmm.

After dinner and it’s getting really dark. The 23rd guy goes to Oscar and asks…so when are we heading back. WTF didn’t you just hear the captain say we will spend the night in this zone and try again in the morning. The guy looked like he just saw a ghost. Tells Oscar I think I’m on the wrong boat. I’m supposed to be on an overnight on this other boat. You mean you didn’t realize that after the two speeches saying this is a 2 day charter, free prizes, free upgraded food, free beer and cigars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY WTF

Oscar and the guy go talk to the captain. The guys afraid to call his wife and tell him he jumped on the wrong boat. He had a business trip at noon that they were preparing to leave town for on Saturday. His wife is screaming at him up in the wheel house. She thinks he’s f-ing lying to her. Captain is on the phone with her to calm her down. We can all hear this and are cracking up at this point. He’s just about lucky if his bags aren’t packed and waiting for him outside the door after his wife kicks him out for this crap. Captain calls me up and asks if I want to charge him for jumping on our trip. I let it go as it didn’t really affect us having him on board. Plus it was funny as hell watching the captain trying to keep a straight face after getting off the phone with his old lady. Gave us all a good laugh. Hope he was a good sport about it too. Mistakes happen. Atleast he got a free 2 trip from it.

If he kept his mouth shut we would have never known and just thought he was a guest of someone else.

Next trip we are taking down the signs that say FREE BOOZE N SHIET on this boat.

YFT v2.jpg Mahi Tacos.JPG Stowaway.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Now that's funny!

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
Sounds like being on the wrong boat is the least of his problems...#horriblewifehorriblelife

Great trip! We saw you guys offloading the same time at the dock.

Reactions: ibreak4paddies
Upvote 0

Bold #7

Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
We had a stowaway once, probably would never have caught on had he not been drunk and obnoxious.
We were at the bait dock and had to go all the way back to dock where he was pickup by the police.
Serious stuff even nowadays.

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
We had a chick jump on a 2 day I was working once it was crazy. We caught her half way into the first day she sat in the galley the rest of the trip she got caught bc she didn't have a tag number and told each of us a different tag number putting fish in bags of other people

Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
Wow that chick sounds like she knew what she was doing. Wonder how many times she pulled that off before she got caught.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nu2reels

edited so you don't read the defaulted stuff, lol
  • Nov 26, 2008
    Los Angeles- South Central
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    None
    We had a chick jump on a 2 day I was working once it was crazy. We caught her half way into the first day she sat in the galley the rest of the trip she got caught bc she didn't have a tag number and told each of us a different tag number putting fish in bags of other people

Damm, if she can catch fish for the deck, she can catch phish for me! Lol

Good post OP, needed the laugh today.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and too funny ending. Hard to believe that could happen with manifest/permits? LOL
    Ohhh does free agency ever ROCK! LOL LOL

NOW I'm hungry, all your fault. Took AHI out of freezer for later....LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    i wonder if the wife was in on it and that being pissed was just a ploy for you not to have the guy cough up cash or something

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    After a crappy day at work that made me laugh, great thread.

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
    Apr 5, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    "Wait, what? This isn't my boat?" That's weird!

Upvote 0

carloscafe

Almost A Member
    Jan 9, 2012
    Ventura as of 3/2021
    Name
    Darrin
    Boat
    N/A
    That just shows you that people don't listen to the captian's safety speech or anything else that is said by the crew. This is the same person that will not follow his bait or be on the side of the boat with the wind in his face.
    Classic!!

Upvote 0

w2much

w2much
    Sep 16, 2006
    Vista, CA.,
    Name
    Gerard
    Boat
    Striper 21'
    A few years back I went on a two day on the Apollo. Wife was not happy before the trip did not realize it was a two day. Miscommunication. I arrive home on Monday and she was in a rage(Mexican American style). As I did not return on time(her time) she started calling to find out when the Pollo boat was due. She could not contact or find information on the Pollo so her suspicions and emotions were at an elevated rate to say the least. Got home to some nasty stuff, you know, WTF, where were you there is no "Pollo" fishing boat. Well when I heard that despite her anger I about died laughing.. Yea a little miscommunication, a bit of language but all was and is still good. I was fishing the Apollo not the A Pollo .

Upvote 0