Stop crowding the sport boats! Grande report 8/31 & 9/1

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by afraser, Sep 2, 2017.

1. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Okay, first the rant. Bluefin schools were everywhere, you just had to find one that would bite. I was on the Grande on both 8/31 and 9/1. On both days, we'd finally get a school to go, like 1 out of 10, and within an hour we'd be encircled by private boaters, some within 50 feet (not yards, feet!). I could lob a sardine in their boat if I wanted. At one point I counted 13 within 100 yds of us. Clearly they were trying to use our chum line to catch fish. If you are a private boater, can you try to stay at least 100 yds away? Preferably 200? I mean, bluefin are long soak bites, if you are within 100 yds, you are inside of our lines and putting the fish down!!! I personally caught one of the lures from a private boat about halfway reeling in. You want to drift upwind and participate in the chumliine, fine, but not so close that you are catching our lines!!! 200 yds upwind, 100 yds downwind. You know the bluefin circle the chum, so if you are within 100 yds, you are shutting down the bite! Happened 3 times to us.

Okay, now the report. Had to choose between Grande and New Lo-an. Both were good, but the Lo-an got on the bigger fish somehow, despite being very close to us. First day, nothing in the dark, first fish around 6. We had 2 good bites, but the second one was amazing, for bluefin. 360 degree blowouts. All 40-60lb fish. We probably had all 18 people hooked up at one point. Quite a few casualties as some were using 30lb. I personally never dropped below 40 and had the same number of bites as others once I switched to a thinner wire 3/0 circle hook. I did have 3 come unbuttoned with circle hooks which is very unusual, including one on a 5/0 owner circle. I got my 2 bluefin for the day, but it wasn't until late. Nothing on topwater. Poppers, surface iron (one person got one), stickbaits, colt snipers, nothing. Must have made 100+ casts to boiling fish. Hit the spot not more than 2 seconds after the boil many times. Only one other person trying topwaters so we had the bow to ourselves. To the people first trying it out, cast from the bow and then step to the side so the next person can cast, way easier, especially on a bow with little casting room. As for the bait fish, they bit both close to the boat and far away, it was really a matter of getting a frisky bait. By the end of day 1, the baits were all red and lethargic. Tough to get them away from the boat with no wind.

Day 2, ahh, no riggin to do, but instead of 18, we have 36 anglers. Turns out, it was just fine. I personally had better luck not casting in early. The Grande drifts differently than most boats, or at least it did these 2 days. Most boats seem to drift stern first, so the bow gets a lot of the chum once the slide is over. On the Grande it mostly drifts forwards, so most people are stuck in the stern. WIth 18 people it was doable, with 36? Yikes! I think I only had 2 long soaks in the stern, one resulted in a fish and somehow the other did not result in a tangle. Yea! I had better luck waiting about 45-60 seconds after the stop and casting off the side or bow. Again, no wind. Again nothing in the dark. A lot of people were casting their baits, but honestly, they would swim right back to the boat 80% of the time. I went to hooking in the back about 3/5 toward the tail. I could direct the bait away from the boat and today every frisky bait was picked up. I caught my "2" by 730 with first biters not until after 6. At one point we had a nice plunker bite drift, but it seemed like only a couple of us were hooking fish. At one point I had 7-8 bites in 15 minutes. I hooked and handed off a number of fish in a row. Got a great bait, hooked him in the back, swung the bait out (not casted), and directed him to swim away from the boat, got a bite or hook up in less than 1 minute each time. I had 4 bait rods and they were all being used on fish that I hooked and handed. I got bit on 60 and 80 when others were using 30, so it really was about the bait and maybe the hook size (3/0 mustad demon circles). If the private boaters hadn't moved in, we would have limited out, but again they put the fish down being with 100 feet of our boat.

2. Paul Ward

Paul Ward Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty
    hook and hand off! really fun when you have the magic touch. Didnt read yoir whole post but dam dont crowd othet boats.

3. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    ya i agree give the sporties a little space if you show up after them. if you get there first, they should give you room. jmhfo

Paul Ward likes this.
  4. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA

That's the thing, there was no showing up "after", it was strictly the private boats mooching off the sport boats who dumped a lot of chum. The school wasn't on the surface, they were all sonar marks! And a couple breezers. The sport boats located the schools, got the fish to bite by chumming, and only then did the private boats come mooching in. It really was ridiculous. If I can toss a lure in your boat you are too close. If I can toss a bait in your boat, that's ridiculously too close. There were at least 5-6 boats that got in bait casting range and another 20 in lure casting range. Maybe another 20 that ran over hooked fish or long soak baits. Come on. This was on a weekday too.

5. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    gotcha. the usual. not fun.

sea4reel likes this.
  6. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for a great report, and for being generous with the hook-n-hands. As far as private boaters coming too close to sportboats, the only difference that I can see in the past 60+ years of fishing offshore in SoCal is the number of boats and drivers willing to go far offshore in little boats. It used to be that if you were west or south of San Clemente Island or the Coronado Islands far enough that they were out of sight, you had the ocean to yourself. Nowadays you will find quite a few skiffs and very small boats out as far as the Cortez Bank and beyond. So unless you head over a hundred miles south into offshore Mexican waters, having a school to yourself is not likely to happen. Bad sportsmanship seems to go hand-in-hand with questionable judgment in seamanship.

peshooter likes this.
  7. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Great report.

I used to fish the grande and got my only BET on that boat. Scott and the boys were always fun to fish with, always.

I gotta a 22ft skiff with 170G gas tank. I will go wherever the weather permits. I work as hard as any sportie. Giving them their space and they give me mine. The biggest issue is the drift. I drift way faster then they do so I will, from time to time come within their chum range. I'd rather not, because it means less chances for me.

I have had sporties clean my meter in a few seconds with amount of chum they can throw. Take away the chum and the side scan and they would be doing doughnuts like the rest of us.

That said setting on up of a sportie chum line sucks, but I have done it not to get in their chum, but it's the drift I made before and want to make again.

suerte

8. Zika

Zika Chum-Master

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    I say what comes around goes around!! I had sporties push me right off my paddy and also anchor right behind me when I'm on a fish ! Some captains are cool some straight dicks that don't give a shit !!

9. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sixty years ago, small boats had no GPS, almost no electronics, most had no radio, certainly no EPIRB or any form of satellite communication, had to navigate by paper map, their motors were not reliable, they couldn't tell the weather past a few hours, and there's no hope of helicopter rescue or even any rescue out there, for days. Of course no one's going offshore, back then, without the benefit of 60 feet of wood around them.

Today, it's different. I wouldn't call it a bad judgment to go offshore when you have the benefit of reliable motors, weather services, GPS, electronics, instant satellite communication, vessel assist within a 100 miles of shore, and rescue helicopters that could reach you within two hours even at San Clemente Island. It's much less of a stupid call, than it was decades ago, especially due to the lack of fish near shore...

But as nice as technology is, it won't make up for bad behavior and judgment, that much will always be the case.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  10. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Yeah the sportboats never crowd private boats. The sportboats are fishing 25 miles from the coast what does one expect.

out of reach likes this.
  11. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    There are two sides to this story. There are the Bully Boats and there are Dumb Asses

12. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    You got to give respect to get respect. I don't pod the sportys but I've sure the hell been podded by them.

oceanjake, Hardcor and Huntersmoon like this.
  13. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    I was on the Constitution on Wednesday and Thursday
    and their was a Bunch Of Private Boats that would V line
    right too us , then Fish so close to us , I ask them
    if they needed any thing, we mostly got
    bit on a long soak
    and we had a few big boys hooked up at a time on 30LB.
    and they would run over their lines
    two wrongs don't make it right
    and I watched Keith, and he did respect all the other boats
    because he new that if their was a bunch of boats on them
    schools they would not bite as good ,
    as finding our own school
    their was so many Schools of Fish around
    so their was no need to get on us like they did.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  14. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I can't believe I read this rant/great report and there were no pay-off pics at the end. I want to see those bluefin! :D

15. Que Popi

Que Popi Newbie

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    23' Aqua "La Sancha"
    Works both ways. Ive been bombarded on a wide open kelp only to have a sport boat ram in and land on about 5 feet off. Within 10 seconds there were 30 lines in the water, caught a few and then shut the bite off. Deck hand was talking shit to us the whole time. There were no other boats in site at the time,

16. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    photo%202.JPG

17. Paul Ward

Paul Ward Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    wooddog
    Boat:
    Boaty
    A pouple years ago we had the Sea Trek crash are kelp twice in one day. second time later in the day. They couldnt land a single fish but the captain was forced to watch us hanging three fish at a time and gaffing them then three more then three more. He should have been humiliated...we were laughing

Que Popi and Zika like this.
  18. Johnny Sixgun

Johnny Sixgun Go where the fleet isn't

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    TTT
    I was on a patty for about 1/2 an hour, we were the only boat. Fisherman III came up, we had to move out of their way he didn't change course. My buddy flipped them off. They fished it for 10 mins and ran it over over on the way out.

19. FreezeYak

FreezeYak Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 Flybridge, "Fishin' Impossible"
    This is a tough topic.

First thought, I am a private boater and get amazed at how close others get to the sportys. It is wild. I may get near them but at a minimum 200 yds. Min.

Second, multiple time I have had sportys (and the popular ones too) came next to me with a wide open bite and pull the fish off me with their near endless supply of chum.

So my thoughts. I will give them the distance I am comfortable with, but not completely leave them alone if they are hooked up.

20. dingaling

dingaling Newbie

Name:
    colin
    Boat:
    Nope
    Soooooo Offshore skiffs= La Jolla Sealions, at least the dogs dont talk back