mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I'm confused. Were the items locked up and out of sight? If that is the case then someone at the hotel was probably involved. If you left $50,000 worth of fishing equipment in the open bed of a truck plus $6,00 in cash in the glovebox then you have a lot more faith in people than I do.

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
One more thing:
You mentioned that this was a rental truck; was it a newer truck? Did you by chance talk up your plans with someone in the rental office at the time you picked up the truck? New ignition keys are often "chipped", and mated ignitions are alarmed, so you can't just hot-wire the ignition. So it would take a chipped key or a tow truck to take the truck. Could be an inside job at the rental office, especially if that rental truck had GPS and a chipped ignition key. A thief could have used a "code grabber" to beat the chipped key and ignition, but why target that specific truck in a "secure parking structure".

It just smells bad, if the truck had a chipped key.

And if it was parked in a "secured parking structure" just below your room, and if the walls were to be extended down, to enclose the parking area, then by case law, technically that makes it a residential burglary also, upping the classification of your "Property Crime" so it should get more attention downtown than "just an auto theft with additional contents".

Good luck.

Upvote 0

tommy burger

Almost A Member
Jun 1, 2010
san diego
Name
tommy
Boat
n/a
Definitely agree with the manager statement... I have lived in SD my whole life and frequented that area quite a bit.. Theres not enough people in Solana Beach who just happen to be walking by an underground Holiday inn parking structure to steal your whole truck. period. Let me guess the hotel doesnt have security cameras either down there? BS

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
Sounds like an inside job. That Manager is in on it for sure.

BUT, does sound like the OP was very lax in his due diligence. I mean seriously, a buncha cash in the glove box??? WTF???

Sometimes stupid hurts.

Reactions: Blackfish
Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
HELL I FN for sure guy at hotel was in on it , look up thefts and burglaries in that area ask to speak to a district manager , they have cameras there for sure if the guy said they didint hes lying out of his teeth . in short tell us what the desk guy looked like young old , tweek white male etc or any other ethnics .hes in on it man have him cked out get his full name and run him on the free records on goolge , criminal all that shit alot you can do i would threaten him with legal stuff he is being investigated etc . and you know is was in on it and tell him you talked to the hotels corporate office , and they looked at all the phone calls that night after you cked in cell phone cant do thing bout that. run his ass on line if he wont give you his full name there is your answer . me i wait till he get off one night take him for a little stroll get it fuck . dont give up law inforcement is busy not their fault . fucking low life pieces off shit . we all know what we would do if we caught someone stealing our gear and truck . good luck man get all tapes from the hotel they have to give you a copy . he has a camera in his lobby too u want that . see if he made phone calls after u cked in was anybodyelse in the lobby when u cked in , luv n fishes to all ,b

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Sean no one can understand your pain but this is truly heartbreaking. My suggestion is that you pursue this through Hoiliday Inn corparate. They may blow you off but continue to pursue it. They will respond if they fear a bunch of negative publicity. A legal letter from counsel always gets a response. You also have potential for onslaught from the BD brotherhood if they still hjack you around. Good luck keep us posted!

Reactions: Cribbg
Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
sorry to hear will be looking out for it it all seems fishy thou working in a tackle shop in solana beach will be looking for the consignment stuff might come in you have plenty of eyes and ears looking for you you never know

Upvote 0

AhSpray

Assistant Gaffer
Apr 25, 2003
Escondido
Name
Rob
Boat
AAA+++ Ho
Something about this stinks for sure. We'll keep our eyes open. Please update us with info as you shake it out.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
Setup another sting. Ask a friend to stay at that same hotel. Say something similar to the same guy that helped you. Then sit and wait outside the garage. If someone tries to steal the other vehicle, it'd be inside job and once you catch this guy, it will lead you to your gear and maybe even truck.
Don't make it too obvious.

Upvote 0

Breakwater4

Almost A Member
Mar 8, 2010
Cardiff, CA
Name
Sean
Boat
Outerbanks Custom Carolina 28', "BlewByou"
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm down in Cabo now, we had to use the yacht owners salmon and halibut gear...still managed over 100 yellowfin (mostly football), a couple wahoo and a couple stripe marlin. Believe it or not, the best fishing the entire trip south was off of Asuncion. The break of 68-70 was stacked with 20-50lb yellowfin with the 4 wahoo we caught. We broke off 3 times as many fish as we landed and ran out of jigs (old men with braided line halibut gear). I was making feathers out of shoe laces (shreading them and using his wifes nail polish)...and still catching yellowfin under every set of breaking birds. I hitch hiked into Constitucion and loaded us up with new jigs and leader to run the outside banks from Mag to Cabo. We started at the Lucatania at 530 with a perfect spread out...and metered the fish at 900 feet all morning (full moon)...ran the awesome outside banks for nothing more than 6 football yellowfin. The yacht owner had a "no booze" rule on the yacht, so can't tell you how fast I sprinted to baja cantina after we tied up and rinsed off.

One of my best childhood friends is a defense attorney and has sent a letter to Holiday Inn. Enterprise filed their own claim and has already had their detective get the tapes of me getting GUARANTEED security from the front desk manager both via phone as well as on video at the front desk. They don't have video underground solely for that reason (they have so many break ins, that they have to take liability 100% of the time that stuff is stolen when they have video), so they opt for the small sign. The manager lied to me.

I take responsibility for being dumb here, I should've brought the gear and cash up, I've said that in previous posts. I'm not crying over spilled milk, I fucked up, and I'm obviously the one who is paying for it. Just asking everyone to keep their eyes open.

Only good thing that has come out of it...the truck that was in the shop (from hitting the donkey driving back from Mag) is getting the upgraded 122 Leer shell:). And I just had a great few days on the ocean. Health and and a smile, sorry for bitching on this site and appreciate the help guys.

Jason, Ali and crew at BD, thanks for letting this thread stay on here. It got a bit of attention and that's all I could ask for. Never know, someone could've had "a guy" call "a friend" offering a stunning deal on a shitload of gear. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm down in Cabo now, we had to use the yacht owners salmon and halibut gear...still managed over 100 yellowfin (mostly football), a couple wahoo and a couple stripe marlin. Believe it or not, the best fishing the entire trip south was off of Asuncion. The break of 68-70 was stacked with 20-50lb yellowfin with the 4 wahoo we caught. We broke off 3 times as many fish as we landed and ran out of jigs (old men with braided line halibut gear). I was making feathers out of shoe laces (shreading them and using his wifes nail polish)...and still catching yellowfin under every set of breaking birds. I hitch hiked into Constitucion and loaded us up with new jigs and leader to run the outside banks from Mag to Cabo. We started at the Lucatania at 530 with a perfect spread out...and metered the fish at 900 feet all morning (full moon)...ran the awesome outside banks for nothing more than 6 football yellowfin. The yacht owner had a "no booze" rule on the yacht, so can't tell you how fast I sprinted to baja cantina after we tied up and rinsed off.

One of my best childhood friends is a defense attorney and has sent a letter to Holiday Inn. Enterprise filed their own claim and has already had their detective get the tapes of me getting GUARANTEED security from the front desk manager both via phone as well as on video at the front desk. They don't have video underground solely for that reason (they have so many break ins, that they have to take liability 100% of the time that stuff is stolen when they have video), so they opt for the small sign. The manager lied to me.

I take responsibility for being dumb here, I should've brought the gear and cash up, I've said that in previous posts. I'm not crying over spilled milk, I fucked up, and I'm obviously the one who is paying for it. Just asking everyone to keep their eyes open.

Only good thing that has come out of it...the truck that was in the shop (from hitting the donkey driving back from Mag) is getting the upgraded 122 Leer shell:). And I just had a great few days on the ocean. Health and and a smile, sorry for bitching on this site and appreciate the help guys.

Sean although I still feel bad for you, I really respect you for being a man and accepting responsibility!

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
This really suxx. Taking someones gear, is about the lowest of the low. I hope something shakes for you, in the near future, and lead to getting it back. Checking the area swapmeets may be a possibility.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
before your start calling SDPD officers assholes maybe you should read the post. He was in Solana beach which is covered by the Sheriff Dept. Cop was probably doing his job and due diligence.. you weren't there so shut the fuck up.

Hope you get your gear back.. We'll be looking out. If you could finds and put up pics of any of the custom stuff that may help.

You Sound Like a COP !

Reactions: OpporTUNAty
Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
It's all good! Actually, as of yesterday at noon I entered the ranks of "retired police officer." 25 years was enough. And it's already paying off....
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
Towed by boat down to Mag Bay a few weeks ago and left it there indefinitely. Had a great few days of fishing, hit a donkey on the way home, but still limped across the boarder and Farmers has been handling the claim awesome. Went to pick up a 65' Hatteras in Oregon and brought it down to get a couple things done before we run to PV today or tomorrow. I went and hit my storage unit and emptied it (the boat owner has salmon gear, so I just brought everything). New line and leader on all 5 of the Tiagra 80's and all 10 50's. There was a box of TLD 30's (probably 8-10 and a few TLD 50s). 5 casting Shimanos. 30 Calstar rods. You all know the song and dance from here. I called Holiday Inn in Solana Beach and they confirmed they had "underground secure parking and security", so I booked two nights. I told the manager that I'd pay extra to hire an extra security guard for 2 nights...he said not necessary. So of course, I go downstairs yesterday to head off and get the boat out of the shipyard and loaded up...and the truck is gone. Not just the gear, the truck and all. Please keep an eye out for someone selling a ton of gear. I would know it by by initials engraved on some of it in spots no one else would know. Sorry for putting this up here, thought it might reach more people and I'd have a better shot. That was every bit of my gear collected over 30 years....heartbreaking. Life goes on. Thanks in advance if anyone gets a lead. Sean.

So sorry that you had this loss.

Upvote 0

Breakwater4

Almost A Member
Mar 8, 2010
Cardiff, CA
Name
Sean
Boat
Outerbanks Custom Carolina 28', "BlewByou"
Thanks again guys/gals. One of the home owners in Seascape Sur (directly to the west of the holiday inn) called me last night and has video of the person taking the truck. I sent it to the detective this morning, he's back in Monday. It's really hard to see the guy, but he definitely went straight for the truck, quick access and drove right out. Who knows, maybe he ran a red light or something and a better pic of him will show up. Not holding out hope, but maybe they can clean up the video enough to figure out who it is. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
For sure sounds like an inside job.It wont help get your stuff back but you might want to post on trip advisor about your experience at this fine establishment.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Breakwater, you're doing it right. Most detectives are carrying enormous case loads where often time the work is not naught because the victim gets a check from insurance and dissapears. Staying in contact and being a partner in the investigation is the best way to insure good service. And if you ever feel like your not getting good service, call up and ask to speak to the detective sergeant. Having been that guy, sometimes it's necessary to encourage the troops...

IMHO, I doubt the manager is "in on it." However, I don't doubt that your situation was overheard or was mentioned by the manager in casual conversation and that info ended up in the wrong hands. Hope you catch the cocksucker.

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

I had a friend's colleague who rented a fancy shmancy Cadillac Escalade in San Diego during a short visit, and someone lifted the truck and pulled all 4 wheels and tires, and left it up on the jacks. This was inside a gated, secured parking lot with cameras. Probably the same damn hotel as far as I know.

I'll bet the hotel employees arranged this shit after mentioning you wanted to pay extra, etc. Just saying...

Upvote 0