Stoked About SUP Fishing -- Need a New Board -- Bote HD or Other Board Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Paddle Board Fishing Reports' started by 5-20, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group Hanger-On

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Let me start this by saying SUP fishing is totally awesome. I am really loving the experience of getting a good work out and chasing big fish at the same time!!! I love the minimalistic side of it. When I fished out of a Hobie Outback, the tackle glutton in me would always take over and I'd have to spend tons of time loading the yak, both at home, and at the water's edge and then at the end of the day, I'd have to spend tons of time cleaning and rinsing everything off. When I go SUP'ing, I can carry everything from my truck to the water in two hands, and that's totally awesome for me.

I've been using an Isle Sportsman lately and it's an absolutely great board, I think it's a fantastic value for the money.

But the more I look at the Bote HD, well, that board has so many fishing features built into it. It's also a "reasonably" priced board that offers a really good combination of stability, speed and load bearing capabilities. I've been leaning towards getting that board. The new Gatorshield design looks like it's really great, it's supposed to be 6x stronger than the regular epoxy design and far more durable.

The Live 2 fish board also looks awesome, but it's a lot more money and a lot more weight, too. I think I gotta cross that off my list. Would be really cool strapping a 4 or 6 hp motor to that board and zooming out there, but then I'd be in the price range of a small used skiff! :)

What are you guys fishing off right now? Any recommendations? Any of you guys want to get together and fish SD Bay, or the La Jolla or Point Loma kelp beds sometime?

rick rouland and larry dickson like this.
  2. pwstriper

pwstriper Member

Name:
    Mike M
    Boat:
    In between boats.. for now PQ, NLA, SHOGUN
    brufish

rick rouland likes this.
  3. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Sounds fun man, minimalist can definitely be less overhead and stress!

Keep us posted on all your catches, it's a fun sport!

5-20 likes this.
  4. MJDGator

MJDGator Newbie

Name:
    MARK
    Boat:
    Live Water sports L2Fish
    I love my L2Fish. It is an awesome board and not that heavy. I wouldn't want to carry it 100 yards across the sand though. I am not using a motor. I like the keep it simple aspect. I can load up and take 4 rods, a seat, cooler, and anchor. Then there are days where it is just my fly rod. I really like the flexibility and the yakattack rail system.

DenisRuso and 5-20 like this.
  5. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I noticed there's that lightweight "baitwell" you can attach to the front of the SUP. That's really pretty damn awesome and ingenious! But the weight, being right at 51 lbs, that is pretty significant. Here in SoCal, we've got a bunch of cliffs and bluffs around our ocean and odds are I might find myself carrying that SUP down and up them cliffs. I think I need to stay at that 35 lb. range. Not to mention that's a few extra hundy in my pocket for all kinds of cool accessories! :)

6. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    MJDGator, one question. How different does the cat hull of your sup feel from the more traditional hulls? Any difference in how it drifts or turns at all?

7. DenisRuso

DenisRuso Newbie

Name:
    Denis
    Boat:
    Hobie
    My buddy actually has the L 2 Fish, and as I am a kayak guy I gotta say that I didn't like sup fishing until tried that board.
    I saw the Bote at the Fred Hall show and although it has a lot of design and though put into it, I still prefer the L 2 Fish.
    Main reason being, when he got that board I was really impressed by the amount of usable deck space on it and the stability. The board is designed to carry a heavy load. The day he got it, we put it in the pool and put two 170 lb guys on it. The catamaran style design made it that even with 2 guys rocking up and down on it we could get it to flip over.

5-20 likes this.
  8. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Denis, that’s good input. The L2 Fish is very intriguing. My concern is that it’s still somewhat heavier and it’s an epoxy board so it’s somewhat fragile. I could see myself slipping up and dinging or breaking one of the sponsons off against something at the end of a tiring day while I’m transporting it or rinsing it off. Wouldn’t surprise me at all! :)

The new Bote HD made out of Gatorshell is supposed to be 6x more durable than the epoxy boards. That looks pretty good to me.

I am about 6’ and 200. I’ve got decent balance. Not the greatest but not the worst either. I demo’ed the Bote HD last week in Mission Bay for around 30 mins. The rails were pretty good. I could rock the board from side to side and feel the rails pushing back and stabilizing the board. But this was in Quivira Bay. No real chop or swell around for me to see what the board would feel like in these conditions. But the board paddles and tracked well. I like the idea of getting up next to docks and other pilings and not worrying about getting a ding or cut in an epoxy board when I fish SD Bay.

Hmm. Definitely a tough decision. Still collecting more info on these boards before pulling the trigger on one.

9. DenisRuso

DenisRuso Newbie

Name:
    Denis
    Boat:
    Hobie
    Yah I get that, it absolutely starts to get a bit heavy fully loaded. But as in kayaks and boats you're getting a more stable/roomier fishing platform.
    You do sacrifice where you can launch and durability.
    We do a lot of surf launches in Malibu and fish open ocean so when the weather kicks up which is pretty much everyday in the afternoon, that added stability is kind of a requirement.
    It all comes down to what type of fishing you will be doing the most. Pick the platform which works for what you do the most. But keep in mind in open ocean, a little more stability can keep you out there more comfortably and fishing longer.

5-20 likes this.
  10. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Yep, yep, that's definitely true, Denis. The nice thing about those boards is you can lash a dry box or cooler on top of the board and use that as a seat. That should help. Hmm, wonder how those boards handle 4'-8' swells if it ever comes to that. :)

I just saw this pretty interesting board listed for sale on CL for a fraction of the cost of a Live 2 Fish. Any of you know anything about these boards? The Antidote Extreme Catamaran SUP. They're based in OC and have this board on sale for $950. They state that the board's able to handle up to 800 lbs!

https://www.antidotepaddle.com/product-page/catamaran-aka-the-big-boy-board

11. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Well, I just got to do a demo paddle of a L2 Fish. Honestly, W-O-W is the only word that comes to mind. That is an absolutely fantastic fishing platform. I couldn't believe how fast that thing was and that was paddling into the wind! It felt like once I really learned how to paddle that thing, I could go even faster. Insane stability too. Felt like if I ever got blown out into the ocean from the Kelp, I could survive on that thing for a day or two.

BUT, to be honest, it is considerably heavier and bulkier than the Bote HD. I could see it being an issue walking up or down stairs or down steep trails that might be much more manageable with the Bote HD. Oh boy, I'll have to think about all that some more.

I may drive up to OC when I have some spare time available to demo the Antidote Catamaran, too. It may be a terrific board, but it's going to take a lot to top the L2 Fish in terms of useful design and fishability for sure!

On the PLUS side, we got to fish for a bit after the demo and I got my first legal halibut of the year off the Isle Explorer SUP. The fish was released. Cool evening all around!

2018 Halibut Isle Explorer SD Bay .jpg

rick rouland and Tackleho619 like this.
  12. eDUBz

eDUBz Member

Name:
    Ricky
    Boat:
    4 kayaks
    Just retro fit the board you have - I can install flush mount Scotty rod holders etc. it’s what I Do. I’m custom building myself a 12’6 fishing SUP. If you have IG I’m @rf.boardworks

5-20 likes this.
  13. graybones

graybones Newbie

Name:
    n/a
    Boat:
    n/a
    I’ve got the Bote Ahab 14’er. Mostly fly fish Agua Hedionda and a little off Tamarsck. Bote is a super stable platform with enough different ways to rig to fit the style of fishing you want. However, It’s the only equipment I’ve used SUP fishing

500E12BF-DD2C-400B-B446-CF798E01C70F.jpeg

AWC360 likes this.
  14. AWC360

AWC360 Newbie

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    SUP
    I did this same search two years ago and ended buying a Riviera Fish On, a 12'6 ultra wide and stable touring-style board. It moves well and is stable enough for me to fish in any direction with about 50lbs of tackle, food, ice, whatever on top. They originally made the blank for larger 300+ plus dudes to simply paddle on, and then installed more bungee tie downs and a few 1/4" threads to attach ram mounts or whatever you need. It's mostly fiberglass and feels much like a surfboard when toting it around.

IMG_3932.jpg

rick rouland likes this.
  15. AWC360

AWC360 Newbie

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    SUP
    No problem paddling from Alamitos Bay to LB Wall and back. Lowrance says i do about 4mph when I'm leaning into the paddle.

image1 (1).png

rick rouland likes this.
  16. rick rouland

rick rouland Member

Name:
    rick rouland
    Boat:
    12' SUP
    16BFC29C-CFEC-45BD-B3F2-3111BF077764.jpeg
    The photo is my son in law. We have the same set ups
    I have this same board. Riviera Fish On.
    They were on sale last year as the local factory was closing.
    I’m 6’ approx185
    I use the Engel cooler with rod holders.
    I launch in small surf all the time.
    I am careful to read the surf/tide/wind charts.
    We have fished SuP at La Jolla before I got this board and got caught around the corner after the wind came up, hopefully that’s the last time I’ll make that mistake!!
    2 hrs of very hard paddling!
    We are finally getting back out there to try new boards this week. Hopefully put a couple of YT on the boards!

5-20 likes this.
  17. 5-20

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I forgot I started this thread! I ended up getting the L2Fish after all and it’s been so awesome. Haven’t gotten any giant fish on it yet but I’ve had a few awesome experiences out at LJ and SD Bay. Still haven’t gotten a fishfinder and I’ll hopefully get that taken care of soon and that should help!

0A4D2530-DF1D-43D6-A422-C5EB86E96C24.jpeg AD355A56-1F14-46AF-8CD6-4C17ABF694EB.jpeg 3C387AE6-898E-40E4-86E5-96DE865284F5.jpeg

rick rouland likes this.
  18. rick rouland

rick rouland Member

Name:
    rick rouland
    Boat:
    12' SUP
    That is a sweet set up! I look forward to fishing with you soon!

19. rick rouland

rick rouland Member

Name:
    rick rouland
    Boat:
    12' SUP
    we fished LJ yesterday. Great bass fishing, no YT for us.
    Big calico even ate the macks!
    Caught them on surface iron, SP minnow, macks, and the small Ahi deception jig, which we nicknamed 'the bait maker' although I have caught all inshore fish on it!