Still a chance

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
I just seen and heard the freedom report on 976 tuna. Looking at their location for their 1/2 day. 20 so far and couple hooked up. Not that far from back side west end. Think I'll drag my sled go nxt wk end if weather permits. Looks like there still a chance.

Screenshot_20221203-075335_VesselFinder.jpg

Screenshot_20221203-075412_Facebook.jpg

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
Be ready to go to the Tanner . Your screen shot is where they were when they shut down their ai

Be ready to go to the Tanner . Your screen shot is where they were when they shut down their AIS
You think so. That other boat rt nxt to them is a fishing vessel as well. There's a nice temp break rt the were they show it. I was thinking of going out and checking in I guess if weather is gd I can try a tanner run. Haven been that far yet in my boat but I can top off at cat and go. Is there a place shallow enough there at tanner to anchor. Is that bank a ridge my 450 ft rope can reach.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
Ok, well bummer. I haven't tried to make it to tanner yet. That makes sense. Thank you. I got excited fir a min. I really wouldn't know where to fish or anchor if I did try. I'll just wait til spring when it's hitting closer again.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
the far reaches of crazy
Name
Boat Name
toy
Inexperienced
We all were at one time in our fishing life. I have only fished it a few times on a private boat. Great conditions like in the most recent report. Anchoring was a bit sketchy to the ripping current. Made sleeping with one eye open at all times. HA.

John,

The Tanner is not a place you want to fish if solo, especially in a smaller size boat, or with a rookie crew. Even with an experienced crew and captain, it can be challenging. Ripping currents, swell, and waves.

The weather alone can be brutal and change fast.

Not to mention thats a long haul for a 20-35 lb blue feet.

Go chase Halibut and and winter Yellow tail at the Islands. :D

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
Inexperienced
Yes I am.thats why I'm here. Glad your a pro. Now you can chime in and help a guy once in awhile like most on here do. Ive never been on a charter. Trying to learn from my own boat. Got 3 last November Thanks to the pros like you here giving advice and opinions. I even appreciate the negative ones. Thanks.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
We all were at one time in our fishing life. I have only fished it a few times on a private boat. Great conditions like in the most recent report. Anchoring was a bit sketchy to the ripping current. Made sleeping with one eye open at all times. HA.

John,

The Tanner is not a place you want to fish if solo, especially in a smaller size boat, or with a rookie crew. Even with an experienced crew and captain, it can be challenging. Ripping currents, swell, and waves.

The weather alone can be brutal and change fast.

Not to mention thats a long haul for a 20-35 lb blue feet.

Go chase Halibut and and winter Yellow tail at the Islands. :D
Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I'll do just that til I get lil more experience and just wait fir them to come back in around the 499 and mackerel Bank areas that I've been too and hooked up few times. Backside cat and other shorter runs. Where would I have gd chance at winter yellowtail,? San clemente or Catalina? Thanks again.

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
Inexperienced
Actually I'm very experienced at saltwater and my own boats. Using all the electronics, weather planning and ect. 15 yrs 6 boats of my own and built this one from scratch. Front to back outboard conversion and everything thanks to everyone on this site guiding me. It's listed in check out my boat customization. 2352 Bayliner conversion. But my 15 yrs has been rockfish, halibut, wsb, albcore and salmon. Mostly morro Bay and Monterey. Been a long while since albies been around so I'm learning southern water. In my 2 seasons of the new areas to me south , I've caught 3 bluefin, lost half drozen. A marlin, Dorado and wsb. Not bad for inexperience and trying out of my own boat solo most time or with guys that's never fished. It's just a passion fir me. The cost of fuel, time and effort isn't any big deal. I just like being out there fir peace of mind. The fish are just a bonus. But hey, ill get there. Not scared to try. Thanks, maybe I'll learn from some of your posts too. Below is just few pics. My previous boat was 26ft striper. It's the one with wsb and big butt.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_20220827_193020.jpg

IMG_20220727_202705.jpg

FB_IMG_1655437206981.jpg

FB_IMG_1655437157868.jpg

FB_IMG_1655437173417.jpg

FB_IMG_1652416128173.jpg

FB_IMG_1649379936870.jpg

IMG_7374(1).jpg

20211115_090446.jpg

20211114_105355.jpg

20210905_173218.jpg

20210904_134035.jpg

Screenshot_20210804-101106_Facebook.jpg

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
the far reaches of crazy
Name
Boat Name
toy
Where would I have gd chance at winter yellowtail,?
I always like the backside of Catalina. Fresh live squid, 90-100 feet of the Freddies Beach and the V's. Homeguard size. But it can be a full on skunk also. I landed my biggest yellow in late November/December. 32 lbs. and have caught about dozen or 20 LB plus. Freeze my ass off. It's a normally an over night type trip. You get to the spot early, morning or twilight, and set up and chum all night. Fish the tide swings. Pretty much like fishing WSB. It's not bass fishing.

Reactions: John Stidman

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat Name
None
The outer banks can be a magical place in the fall, weather permitting. I do a lot of 3 day trips on the Vagabond every season and we always get out there a few times in the fall when the fishing picks up out there. Yes there can be good bluefin fishing on the anchor there as well as off the banks in the deeps but for me it's all about the big yellows out there. This past September I got a 38lb yellow on the surface iron and long rod and that fish meant more to me than any of the bluefin I got at night on the jigs.

I have even dove the Cortez with scuba gear for lobsters. Big lobsters. Current was so strong they had to have a skiff in the water to pick up divers who could not kick back to the boat but you could see the bottom in 120 feet of water from the boat while on anchor.

While I have had many trips to the outer banks in lake like conditions this past September, Cameron, captain of Vagabond, decided to make the run out there to try for bluefin at night on the jigs even though the weather was up out there. Very strong winds and big, short interval swells greeted us when we arrived in the dark. Yes, we got bluefin on the jigs but it certainly was a challenge just to hold on while fishing. When the boat would stop on a school and turn sideways to the wind and swell direction the boat would pitch hard to either side. It was dangerous. We would have lost a passenger over the side in the dark had it not been for the two guys next to him who grabbed him as he was going over the side as the boat was in the trough and pitched hard to port.

Soon thereafter we aborted and pointed the bow down swell and ran to the south to fish kelps the next day. Mission accomplished on the bluefin but it was gnarly....

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat Name
    19"Gregor
    Tanner and Cortez are for the very seasoned . Yes you can always drop your anchor the getting it back part might be tricky .

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    Tanner and Cortez are for the very seasoned . Yes you can always drop your anchor the getting it back part might be tricky .

Yeah, I guess I'll give it lil more time and learn the souther waters better or invite someone who knows it well and try a day trip when it's warmer. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Hawgboy

May 7, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Any
    Tanner and Cortez banks are a special place for great quality fishing and dangerous weather that can turn quickly with a fresh breeze and northern groundswell that can arrive there this time of year while you’re there during the course of the trip.

Don’t forget about rouge waves also, especially at Cortez bank
    Besides the BFT at Tanner now are babies not a rewarding way to end a season in my books

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    John go get yourself a good sea anchor.
    I found this in a big bucket in that stuff I bought awhile back cleaning through some of it today. No tears or leaves. Ropes look gd still. Just that hookbis lil rusty.

IMG_20221204_170343.jpg

IMG_20221204_170352.jpg

Upvote 0

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    Tanner and Cortez banks are a special place for great quality fishing and dangerous weather that can turn quickly with a fresh breeze and northern groundswell that can arrive there this time of year while you’re there during the course of the trip.

Don’t forget about rouge waves also, especially at Cortez bank
    Besides the BFT at Tanner now are babies not a rewarding way to end a season in my books
    Thanks. I'll take all ur guys advice and get lil more experienced with San clemente and catalin for bit before I go. I'll buddy boat a full day trip next yr with my neighbor or ho on his Parker. He goes and stays there. I've been in some rough stuff out of morro and north. But I know them areas well. Thanks fir ur advice and reply.

Reactions: bob_marlin
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I'll do just that til I get lil more experience and just wait fir them to come back in around the 499 and mackerel Bank areas that I've been too and hooked up few times. Backside cat and other shorter runs. Where would I have gd chance at winter yellowtail,? San clemente or Catalina? Thanks again.
    White rock or purseine rock, Front side down towards the East end.

Upvote 0