Stiffing the Crew

Tymeflyme

Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat Name
Isabel
I just got off a trip and witnessed 3 individuals stiff the the crew. Do you think the Captain should of said something to them? It was shocking because 1 of them had the crew cast out a bait for him on most stops and the others drank beer from the boats cooler and didn't even mark the honor sheet. It's very disappointing because they work so hard to make a living in a though working environment. Any body witness scum bags like these?

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
nope-no-way (1).gif

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica from San Diego
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
I will admit. I was a light tipper from my teens - 20s.

But I wasn't needy and gifted fish to crew and gear

I was able to get crew Shimano reels for almost half off. Sad they couldn't get a discount on their own. The true pros. That's when I learned some crew are very passionate for largemouth bass and fresh water fishing.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
I did enter the jackpots as a youngster. To cover my galley tab and the remainder goes to the crew. I'm fortunate and place approximately 50% of the time. So technically I was tipping good 😂 at the dock

Now 15-20%, plus fish, plus jackpot after galley tab. Fare

Ask most crew. The reality is. At the end it averages out to less then 10% of the ticket.

That's why they love their super groups

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat Name
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I was on the Islander for 1.75 trip. Cost was $700 with fuel surcharge.
This trip is a two day limit trip. Limits of dorado and yft for everyone.
I watched a man and young friend, maybe son or Twinkie, use the crew a lot because they were new anglers.
I watched the same guy pay his bill. $87 which $60 was fuel surcharge. He gave the crew guy $100.

That's $13 tip for two people. Two days. 7 crew members.

Could be a cultural thing, but you have to leave your cheap ass cultural ways behind.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
In foreign Countries. Americans account for litteraly 80% of the total tips for service. For the entire Country as a whole. Good Americans 🤙🏾. European cultures that can afford those trips. Allot see it otherwise

Any tip from Spain or Argentina or France, ect. Is huge. They will leave the equivalent of 15 cents and inform you they tipped

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
I just got off a trip and witnessed 3 individuals stiff the the crew. Do you think the Captain should of said something to them? It was shocking because 1 of them had the crew cast out a bait for him on most stops and the others drank beer from the boats cooler and didn't even mark the honor sheet. It's very disappointing because they work so hard to make a living in a though working environment. Any body witness scum bags like these?
That is so wrong, but if you go on sport
Boats long enough, you see it a lot more than you should.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
Leave jigs on the boat. BD gifted me allot of various Nomads. Most stayed on the boat 2019 nine day. Including DTXs.

But as BD knows. I'm not a sell out. The williamson speed pro made by rapala. Smoked the DTX and there was only 1 williamson speed pro on the boat

All natural dehydrated mango from trader Joe's is cheap and a big hit. Beef jerky always

Edible caffeine chocolate coffee beans are popular also

51usfrVhruL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    Last 3 1/2 day trip I saw a guy arguing w/captain at the end of day that someone erroneously marked a water on his tab. He went on to spend the entire trip bragging about how he does not spend a single dollar at galley and you guessed it zilch at the end. Damn shame.
    On the flip side tipping is optional so to each his own. Depending on what boat I ride I'll bring a anything from a bottle for the captain to energy drinks or snacks for the crew.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Some thoughts to consider.

With (1) inflation at 8~12%, (2) wage growth much less (compound reduced buying power each month) (3) IRAs down 20%, & (4) gas at $6 a gallon, many folks are forced to tighten belts and budgets.

Also, did anyone tell the newbies in advance that a 10-20 percent tip was customary? (( On my first LR, I didn't anticipate the customary size and didn't bring enough cash for a decent tip -- ran to the ATM at landing and embarrassedly gave it to skipper at weigh-in.))

It is an individual's choice and we should not be too fast to judge others.
    ?? who knows maybe they ended up not liking fishing, were glad to get off the boat, and won't be back ??

I do think tips are important and it sounds like the crew earned them.
    I think it is OK to chat about them with other (newbie?) passengers -- as I have done on a couple of trips.

Tight lines,

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    The last trip I was on (17 day) I gave the most money to the crew, like $3500. However, a person is not a scumbag because he doesn’t give tip money to someone. I have never received tip money in my 45 years of working and I personally believe that a customer should not have to supplement the wages that a owner of a business denies his workers. If the workers are choosing to work at a place with low wages, that is their problem. Now, honesty is a different issue, not paying for drinks or stealing tackle is a bad omen, I had customize a few bluefin jigs that would retail for $125 and some angler stole one off my rod and the other hanging off my box. Good luck trying to catch fish with stolen gear.

Why not sell trips that includes gratuity?
    I have been fishing long range for 35 years and have had experienced many trips with terrible crew members, most are hard working, some are not. Many are helpful, others are worthless. Look at the Schedules for Long Range trips. You see some boats canceling multiple trips, why is that? Other boats are leaving the same time and length , fishing the same areas and are waiting list only. There are some boats I will not fish (and you know the names) because IMO the operation sucks and they really do not know how to find fish. Other boats the operation thinks they are doing you a big favor by letting you fish on their boat. One thing recessions do accomplish is to put people out of business that do not take care of their customers.

Upvote 0

Flyrbr

get a couple of gaffs in this
    Oct 21, 2013
    San Lucas By The Sea, Ca
    Name
    Bob
    Boat Name
    if it flies, floats or... you got it
    On one of my earliest long range trips I saw the skipper chasing down a group who had been a real disruptive element the whole 3.5 days. Hogging the bait tank, not moving out of the stern corners, not following deck hands instructions, just being plain rude to the other passengers... They then stiffed the crew on the tip. Skipper followed them up the ramp and loudly told them they were never coming on his boat again. Got cheers from all of us off-loading.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    The last trip I was on (17 day) I gave the most money to the crew, like $3500. However, a person is not a scumbag because he doesn’t give tip money to someone. I have never received tip money in my 45 years of working and I personally believe that a customer should not have to supplement the wages that a owner of a business denies his workers. If the workers are choosing to work at a place with low wages, that is their problem. Now, honesty is a different issue, not paying for drinks or stealing tackle is a bad omen, I had customize a few bluefin jigs that would retail for $125 and some angler stole one off my rod and the other hanging off my box. Good luck trying to catch fish with stolen gear.

Why not sell trips that includes gratuity?
    I have been fishing long range for 35 years and have had experienced many trips with terrible crew members, most are hard working, some are not. Many are helpful, others are worthless. Look at the Schedules for Long Range trips. You see some boats canceling multiple trips, why is that? Other boats are leaving the same time and length , fishing the same areas and are waiting list only. There are some boats I will not fish (and you know the names) because IMO the operation sucks and they really do not know how to find fish. Other boats the operation thinks they are doing you a big favor by letting you fish on their boat. One thing recessions do accomplish is to put people out of business that do not take care of their customers.
    Putting the Tip onto the Trip is A bad Idea, so the Crew needs to know they are working for it, because my Son's work did A Charter A couple years ago,
    and the Landing added the 18% Tip already to it, we hardly moved around looking for better area's to Catch something even when the Seal's were on us,
    it was really noticeable ,my 2 Cent's .

Upvote 0

Latest posts