Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Hey guys,

I just removed all of the Lowrance Sonic Hub gear from the boat. It was cool 9 years-ago when I bought it, but now it's basically obsolete, and it took up a lot of space.

I think I want to just keep it pretty simple and install an FM/Bluetooth receiver. I should have room for a typical single-din (or smaller) unit. It'll be mounted at the forward helm, so doesn't really need to be waterproof, but obviously shock/vibration resistant would be good. It'd be cool if it was app controlled or had a remote, but not critical. (Is there such a thing as an app-controlled head unit?)

Any recommendations?

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Whichever I am invited onto
The Fusion Bluetooth only units are pretty sweet. They also have an adapter for the AUX connection that gives you Bluetooth connectivity as well.

Or, just get a good Bluetooth speaker and call it a day.

Reactions: Pau Hana
Upvote 0

Crittercountry

Island time
Jul 31, 2012
Clinton,wa,USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Sea critter
I have the Fusion am-fm plus b-tooth on the new boat and so far so good. You can use your phone for volume control, playlist and forward or back on songs

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Another fusion user...no issues. Am/fm with bluetooth to phone. Made a couple 6" tube speakers for behind the bench seats. Works perfect.

The new bluetooth speakers are really good to. My kid just put one in his truck. Sounds good.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I think I’m just going with a Fusion Bluetooth dongle, amp, and 4 6” speakers. Run tunes through our phones only. Stream XM when in cell range. $40-$50 for the Fusion dongle.

Upvote 0

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
May 9, 2014
Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
Boatless.....
speaking of old fart..tell me more..is this Bluetooth you speak of a new type of marine grade
30F3D35B-4E99-466D-80CC-CCABC7C7D296.jpeg
vacuum tube ?????

Reactions: tunacraze
Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
The small Fusion units are tough to beat. The JL Audio head unit is small and a great unit also.

Wet Sounds makes some good self powered speakers that use bluetooth. Anymore I just use my phone as the source, so you could nix a head unit all together?

Reactions: liltrouble
Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
The small Fusion units are tough to beat. The JL Audio head unit is small and a great unit also.

Wet Sounds makes some good self powered speakers that use bluetooth. Anymore I just use my phone as the source, so you could nix a head unit all together?
Looking at the fusion... if I go the stand-alone blue tooth speaker route, what other device should I put in the hole in my dash where the Sonic Hub iPod/iPhone dock used to be? 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
I scrapped the hard wired systems and switched to bluetooth speakers (JBL Flip5) and just stream from my phone or iPad... recharge with usb.. now I don’t feel like a boomer.. get the iPad streaming the hawks game, and I can spend all Sunday in my mobile living room

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Looking at the fusion... if I go the stand-alone blue tooth speaker route, what other device should I put in the hole in my dash where the Sonic Hub iPod/iPhone dock used to be? 🤷‍♂️

Storage compartment with USB port for keeping your phone charged

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
So, keep the Sonic Hub then?

no. Just fit a little starboard box where your old head unit was and wire in a USB port to it for powering your celll phone

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
yeah, that ☝️

Upvote 0

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
no. Just fit a little starboard box where your old head unit was and wire in a USB port to it for powering your celll phone
That’s basically what the Sonic Hub is/does at this point... 😁

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
Kenmore WA
Name
Kurt Kettel
Boat
18' Tiderunner
If on a budget or have a boat that's not worth a million, I bought a $160 Pioneer marine stereo from Crutchfield with 2, 6" speakers....really has amazing bass & sounds great. Bluetooth pandora or hard wire....

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
For bluetooth this guy is good. https://fugoo.com/products/fugoo-tough-xl 35 hours of battery life, waterproof and rugged. I've had one for a few years that's either lived in the shop or traveled with me in my sea bag back and forth to the ex-job up North. Good sounding tunes. Mine has a different case. But....good luck finding it.

The smaller models are in inventories but I don't see the XL which has that long battery life. The smaller units have a 10-12 hour battery life. They sync together so maybe you could get two of the smaller units and sync them. 10 hour battery should be good enough regardless.

Upvote 0