Living vicariously through others.
  • May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Hey guys,

I just removed all of the Lowrance Sonic Hub gear from the boat. It was cool 9 years-ago when I bought it, but now it's basically obsolete, and it took up a lot of space.

I think I want to just keep it pretty simple and install an FM/Bluetooth receiver. I should have room for a typical single-din (or smaller) unit. It'll be mounted at the forward helm, so doesn't really need to be waterproof, but obviously shock/vibration resistant would be good. It'd be cool if it was app controlled or had a remote, but not critical. (Is there such a thing as an app-controlled head unit?)

Any recommendations?

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
    Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Whichever I am invited onto
    The Fusion Bluetooth only units are pretty sweet. They also have an adapter for the AUX connection that gives you Bluetooth connectivity as well.

Or, just get a good Bluetooth speaker and call it a day.

Reactions: Pau Hana

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Another fusion user...no issues. Am/fm with bluetooth to phone. Made a couple 6" tube speakers for behind the bench seats. Works perfect.

The new bluetooth speakers are really good to. My kid just put one in his truck. Sounds good.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    I think I’m just going with a Fusion Bluetooth dongle, amp, and 4 6” speakers. Run tunes through our phones only. Stream XM when in cell range. $40-$50 for the Fusion dongle.

Tomictime

Crusty Old Salt
    May 9, 2014
    Poverty Bay & Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Boatless.....
    speaking of old fart..tell me more..is this Bluetooth you speak of a new type of marine grade
    30F3D35B-4E99-466D-80CC-CCABC7C7D296.jpeg
    vacuum tube ?????

Reactions: tunacraze

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    The small Fusion units are tough to beat. The JL Audio head unit is small and a great unit also.

Wet Sounds makes some good self powered speakers that use bluetooth. Anymore I just use my phone as the source, so you could nix a head unit all together?

Reactions: liltrouble

The Peddler

• May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    The small Fusion units are tough to beat. The JL Audio head unit is small and a great unit also.

Wet Sounds makes some good self powered speakers that use bluetooth. Anymore I just use my phone as the source, so you could nix a head unit all together?
    Looking at the fusion... if I go the stand-alone blue tooth speaker route, what other device should I put in the hole in my dash where the Sonic Hub iPod/iPhone dock used to be? 🤷‍♂️

eldplanko

got the skunk off
    Jun 18, 2012
    Ballard
    Name
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat
    Floater
    I scrapped the hard wired systems and switched to bluetooth speakers (JBL Flip5) and just stream from my phone or iPad... recharge with usb.. now I don’t feel like a boomer.. get the iPad streaming the hawks game, and I can spend all Sunday in my mobile living room

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Looking at the fusion... if I go the stand-alone blue tooth speaker route, what other device should I put in the hole in my dash where the Sonic Hub iPod/iPhone dock used to be? 🤷‍♂️

Storage compartment with USB port for keeping your phone charged

The Peddler

• May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    So, keep the Sonic Hub then?

no. Just fit a little starboard box where your old head unit was and wire in a USB port to it for powering your celll phone

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    yeah, that ☝️

The Peddler

• May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    no. Just fit a little starboard box where your old head unit was and wire in a USB port to it for powering your celll phone
    That’s basically what the Sonic Hub is/does at this point... 😁

Jan 5, 2011
    Kenmore WA
    Name
    Kurt Kettel
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner
    If on a budget or have a boat that's not worth a million, I bought a $160 Pioneer marine stereo from Crutchfield with 2, 6" speakers....really has amazing bass & sounds great. Bluetooth pandora or hard wire....

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    For bluetooth this guy is good. https://fugoo.com/products/fugoo-tough-xl 35 hours of battery life, waterproof and rugged. I've had one for a few years that's either lived in the shop or traveled with me in my sea bag back and forth to the ex-job up North. Good sounding tunes. Mine has a different case. But....good luck finding it.

The smaller models are in inventories but I don't see the XL which has that long battery life. The smaller units have a 10-12 hour battery life. They sync together so maybe you could get two of the smaller units and sync them. 10 hour battery should be good enough regardless.