c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Recently ive had to start adding steering fluid on a regular basis.
I have no leaks that I could find.So,where is it going?

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
what type of system?

Upvote 0

junkyardEd

Special Baiter Wizard
Nov 27, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ed
Boat
SOLD
Recently ive had to start adding steering fluid on a regular basis.
I have no leaks that I could find.So,where is it going?

I would think if its not in the bilge it is going in the water but then You would most likely see a slick.

Upvote 0

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
Mar 4, 2013
San Diego
fuck-you-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on.com
Name
Vince
Boat
26' TwinVee Pilot House
You may have a compromised RAM seal. I had the same problem trying to find the leak with my old sea star. I would fill mine and it would covertly drain from the rod sleeve and into the water (no leak trace!). You can check this by rotating your motor back and forth and leave a clean paper towel underneath the cylinder. If you are leaking fluid that quickly that you regularly fill, you should be able to verify a cylinder RAM leak pretty quick when/if it leaks on to the paper towel.

You can also check your hose runs for compromised (chaffed/damaged), but that is a serious PITA to drain, pull, examine and reassemble. Start with a full examination of the cylinder and helm before you dig into draining your system and pulling hose. good luck

Reactions: Tony O'Connell
Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
You may have a compromised RAM seal. I had the same problem trying to find the leak with my old sea star. I would fill mine and it would covertly drain from the rod sleeve and into the water (no leak trace!). You can check this by rotating your motor back and forth and leave a clean paper towel underneath the cylinder. If you are leaking fluid that quickly that you regularly fill, you should be able to verify a cylinder RAM leak pretty quick when/if it leaks on to the paper towel.

You can also check your hose runs for compromised (chaffed/damaged), but that is a serious PITA to drain, pull, examine and reassemble. Start with a full examination of the cylinder and helm before you dig into draining your system and pulling hose. good luck

This^^^^^. Been there. Check your ram for leaks. How old is it?

If the leak was at the helm you'd see fluid. Under it. If it's leaking into the bilge such as from the ram or connections at autopilot pump, it gets pumped out with the bilge water. Look for a stain on the hull at the bilge pump outlet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
swap over to the red aviation hydraulic fluid H5606 is the spec I believe. Much cheaper and easy to see a leak.

Upvote 0

Latest posts