Saltwater Steelhead/king salmon shore fishing

Aug 4, 2020
Socal
Name
Tailhunter
Boat Name
Tailhunter
Hey how’s it going everyone.I just moved up here from socal and looking to do some shore fishing while I work on getting a boat. I’m just reaching out for any tips and tricks maybe even possible locations along the coast. I’ve fished the jetty in Westport for bass witch is awesome, fishing the lakes is great but not really my style I love fishing the ocean. now I’m on a journey for to figure out this fishery from rivers, lake’s, and big blue I appreciate any help and advice thank you

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat Name
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Rivers are your best bet for kings or steelhead from shore. Pier fishermen do manage a few kings In the summer. I know nothing about catching steelhead especially in the salt.

Reactions: Wstcoastfisher
Wstcoastfisher
Wstcoastfisher
I’m going to have to give that a try one of these days. Haven’t done any type of research, nothing as far as rivers go. I’m actually very interested getting into fly fishing so maybe one day. Thanks
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    20 ft duckworth
    Hey how’s it going everyone.I just moved up here from socal and looking to do some shore fishing while I work on getting a boat. I’m just reaching out for any tips and tricks maybe even possible locations along the coast. I’ve fished the jetty in Westport for bass witch is awesome, fishing the lakes is great but not really my style I love fishing the ocean. now I’m on a journey for to figure out this fishery from rivers, lake’s, and big blue I appreciate any help and advice thank you
    I don't know about "bass" from the Westport jetty, I've caught lots of rockfish there but no bass. Largemouth or smallmouth?

Upvote 0

frijolito

Almost A Member
    Aug 10, 2020
    washington
    Name
    kurt
    Boat Name
    yes
    steelhead off the west side of whidbey island, kings and coho off the beach at point no point if your in the north sound area. tons of spots to catch them but you need to find them. lots of honey holes for those in the know and that keep mouths shut. the 2 examples are no secret spots obviously but they do kick out fish. humpies and coho off the lighthouse at mukilteo also. its really limitless and probably the same for the south sound. buzzbombs or rotators are great. sea-run cutts also but gotta let em go

Wstcoastfisher
    Wstcoastfisher
    Awesome thanks! I’m currently in the Tacoma area. now it’s foot work from here I’m sure gona grab some of those lures. I’ve been on a few trips nothing yet.I’ve been using this pink spinner and a verity of jigs all different colors but thanks once again I appreciate it
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    MUGWUMP
    Might be too late already, but what few summer steelhead the Skykomish gets are targeted along the west side of Whidbey as they stage for the river return. Traditional rig is a double skirt with a big fat Spin-n-Glo in front of it. Slinky weights dragging the gravel on the retrieve at high tide. Definitely fish of a thousand casts and they are known to follow all the way up and strike right at your feet.
    Hatchery only! Year round lakes for winter fat hold over rainbows would be a higher percentage effort.

frijolito
    frijolito
    careful with that spot burning!! LOL just got a nasty message from fishing fanatic telling me to STFU and not help anyone because I singlehandedly am creating combat fishing areas by my general areas tpo catch salmon in a secret spot called PUGET FUCKING SOUND,
    Upvote 0
    Wstcoastfisher
    Wstcoastfisher
    Thanks for the help I appreciate it. And for all the dick heads that are worried about spot burning well they just got to get off thes type of websites. This is the point to having a fishing community so we can help out each other not with the bullshit of “this is my spot” it’s ridiculous hahaha
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

• Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat Name
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I also moved to Washington from Southern California last August. It’s fun learning a new fishery. I am surprised at the “No river names” paranoia up here.

Reactions: Wstcoastfisher
    Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat Name
    18' Super Vee
    I also moved to Washington from Southern California last August. It’s fun learning a new fishery. I am surprised at the “No river names” paranoia up here.

That’s the attitude that ruined it. It’s not paranoia, not one bit. Did you have your addicted cap and hoodie on when you typed that bs?

Reactions: jigsaurus
    Johnlgarrison
    Johnlgarrison
    Sorry I am confused. Are you pissed at me ? My comment was I am surprised at the attitude of never given our a location to fish. I came from a area that would post GPS numbers of a good spot. Who pissed in your Cheerios?
    Upvote 0
    F
    Fish_on!
    Yes, never show anyone anything unless you want it ruined. Every dipshit that posts photos on the internet thinking it has no consequence pissed in my cheerios. Now all my cheerio spots taste like piss. Are we on the same page?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat Name
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Well John, from born WA natives, we're not thrilled about Kali's coming up and driving up home/boat prices and clogging freeways. It's a free country though. I'm sure you're a fine person.

Some are wary of giving coords out, we lived here a long time to try and find/get the best spots. If one just tosses free honey-holes out on the web, they won't be honey-holes for very long. Coming up from Kali and asking for the best spots is a bit aggressive. Do some research yourself, along with your new buddy...or ask to tag along with a guy.

We've just learned to keep most spots off the Web, PM is a different story, if YOU keep it secret.....

Reactions: FISHTALE2
    Upvote 0

Santino

One breath at a time
    Mar 18, 2005
    Northern California
    www.bigabbigling.com
    Name
    Tino
    Boat Name
    24' Defiance
    When I bought my first house in Kirkland back in 1999, I remember a new neighbor telling me how they dispised Californians just after they discussed what I purchased the house for.
    They were excited home values were increasing in the community.
    I never told them I was from California and we got along great.
    I always thought they knew as I was the only one who BBQ’ed in my front yard and was friendly to all the neighbors.
    No one really waved in the community let alone spoke to each other, but I was that conduit that got everyone out talking even some meeting each other for the first time.
    It’s just funny that more than 20 years later people still blame Californians for all their problems.
    I might blame Microsoft, Nintendo, Salesforce, insert tech company here, but if it’s Californians you want to single out, so be it, it’s a free country.

Upvote 0

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
    Stauffer
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    MUGWUMP
    Washingtonians despise everyone. Californians, Oregonians who won't let us pump our own gas just get the brunt of our every day crap. I remember when folks were up in arms about the dreaded Moonies! Protests in front of Moonie businesses even. My mom drug my brother and I away by our ears to avoid Hari Krishnas at SeaTac.
    I guess my family is part of the attitude problem........huh.
    Go figure 8-)

Upvote 0