stealing fish from freezers ?

noslow64

• Apr 1, 2015
    La Mesa
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    sold it
    going to bola for memorial weekend & i heard that some people are having there fish stolen from hotel freezers.... has anyone heard about this ? we are staying at daggetts & fishing for 3 days with enrique. using a freezer would be nice, but i can use my big coolers with ice if needed....

F
    Fish Sniper
    To eat, how many #'s are missing? To sell need to put a stop to it. Go back and catch some more.
    Upvote 0
    captpop70
    captpop70
    I bought a small 3.5 cubic foot freezer at Home Depot and bring it down with us. Works great, plug it into my hotel room. Driving home, everything is still frozen solid when we get home.
    Upvote 0

noslow64

• Apr 1, 2015
    La Mesa
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    sold it
    no more using freezers at daggetts, must use own coolers with ice.

Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    wow that's pretty lame. seems to me someone could solve that problem and still offer a good client experience. BYO coolers with ice does NOT seem like an adequate answer IMHO. I stay with Pedro, never had that problem or heard of it happening there, FWIW.

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Bought an Engel fridge / freeze 10 years ago. Runs on 110v in our room and 12v for the trip home. Best $800 I've ever spent and have used the Hell out of it. Fishing trips to Baja and summer camping in the Sierras. Smaller in size than a 48 quart ice chest, it will hold 40 to 50 pounds of fillets. Bomb proof and never had an issue. Like it so much bought a second one recently. Seems pricey to some but the cost of ice isn't the deal it used to be........especially at LA Bay.

Last edited:
    Reactions: smokinwater
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    going to bola for memorial weekend & i heard that some people are having there fish stolen from hotel freezers.... has anyone heard about this ? we are staying at daggetts & fishing for 3 days with enrique. using a freezer would be nice, but i can use my big coolers with ice if needed....
    Hey D! We had some crack head (rearrange our take) a couple years ago. Ruben Dagget straightened them out real quick. I also have kept my catch at Sr Diaz’s personal freezer.... very secure. You should be fine. When are you going down? I have one trip planned and looking for at least one more trip this Summer.

Reactions: noslow64
    Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    I've been hauling my own Craig's List purchased freezer for a few years when driving down. That, along with my older, little vacuum sealer so I process the fillets from the boats when I get back to my room and freeze them for storage. Now that I'm flying down though, I'm trying to find freezer storage, so it's a bit tricky. A few years back, a friend came down from way up north to fish ENS. Brought his small freezer along with a generator for keep his catch frozen for the drive back north. Really think about investing in a small freezer for those that drive down. Generators would be ok, but once frozen, fillets keep really well in the freezer if you keep it shut, including using a strap on it.

Reactions: surf launch
    Upvote 0

noslow64

• Apr 1, 2015
    La Mesa
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    sold it
    Hey D! We had some crack head (rearrange our take) a couple years ago. Ruben Dagget straightened them out real quick. I also have kept my catch at Sr Diaz’s personal freezer.... very secure. You should be fine. When are you going down? I have one trip planned and looking for at least one more trip this Summer.
    leaving may 27th after work & heading to old mill for the night, then to bola on 28th, fishing 29th 30th & 31st. then heading back to old mil after fishing, , also going july 23rd to 26th

Reactions: denis and Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

Dogman619

Nov 6, 2012
    Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Sea Pro 18DC
    Electricity rate doubled or tripled with a crazy fine for over usage on commercial property, that's the reason I hear the freezers are getting removed. Dont think they'll like us bringing our own and plugging in either. Kinda lame. Brisas is still residential property and said she will be gettiing more freezers. Think she wants 25 a night for freezer space.

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    $25 a night to keep your fish in a freezer? Wow and I thought a bag of "LA Bay ice" was expensive!

Might have to go back to packing my canning gear down like we used to do it back in the 80's

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat
    no
    We have it good .. since we only use Juanito for the past 10 years we just ended up buying a large subfreezer we keep at his house.. so when he gets the fish back from cleaning he takes them to his house where we have our freezer and spreads it out so we get a good freeze on it . Then on the day we are leaving he brings us all the frozen fish and we split it up between us and off we go ... best deal ever .. we just opted to get the largest freezer we could buy and its worked out well .. it holds all of the fish from 6 pangas fishing 3 days .. so its a lot of fish ... thats one of the benefits of fishing with Juanito ..

Reactions: fish&snow
    Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
    Trabuco Canyon CA
    Name
    O
    Boat
    The Snapper Slapper
    Just got back from Daggett's a couple days ago. They have removed their 4 or 5 freezers about 10 months ago. I showed up and grabbed 15 bags of ice. Brought it in the kill bag to the freezers and they were gone. Enrique pulled a freezer into our room for us. I think Daggett's still has 2 they will let customers "borrow" if fishing and staying with them. They encourage folks to bring down their own freezers for their rooms. I think Dennis (Deadhead lures) had the right idea. A couple of years ago he brought down a chest freezer that was solar powered during the drive, so it still operated in the back of his truck.

Brisa still has her packing a freezing business going and I think someone was right, it may be 20 or 25 USD a night to have her freeze your fish. It is going to be a problem and consideration for future trips if we cant at least partially freeze out fillets for the ride home.

Side note- Hwy 5 was amazing- even past San Felipe. Didn't see any real pot holes until the turn off at punta prieta. Road into BOLA is still pretty shitty- slow down..

Upvote 0

Latest posts