SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Has anyone heard of Steadfast Rod Blanks before?

I picked one up from a buddy after pulling on a couple different models, they feel really solid and should be an interesting surface iron rod. I was pretty impressed with the pulling power of them but still being able to load up well with a normal Tady 45.

steadfast.jpg

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
Interested to know more. What's the makeup, composite, glass?. What's it similar to and which one did you get?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
It’s painted so I’m not sure what the construction is for sure. Feels like it’s composite. I found this online:

A0A43F5A-A8C6-484D-8DBD-79E01B249D99.jpeg

I got the SFR10M, which feels like a very solid 50lb+ jig stick but can load a 45 pretty well. I’m scared what pulling on the heavier ones feel like. Some videos here:https://sfrods.com/videos/

Im pretty excited to built and fish it.

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Have heard of them, but they are shark surf fishing rods, to my knowledge. Many people in texas use them. Theres a whole texas scene dedicated to them. Maybe a texas fishing forum would garber more info. It can load well on a small jig, but distance is where it could lack because of weight. Since most people use it to cast 5-10oz for sharks, not sure if it will actually be able to work well for jigs. Not sure if you have cast it yet, but i dont think its going to cast far. I think they undervalue the power on the rods. I think the power is one step above the actual rating. The ML may be a M, the M may be an H, etc, just from watching people pull on them and the way they describe it. Also from the videos online. But let me know, i may be wrong.

The price is also a big factor. I would rather stick to the local stuff that is guaranteed to cast a jig and purposefully made for jigs. I guarantee it will outperform that blank. Without real effort, my buddy with a bad shoulder cast a tady 45 over 60 yards on my Reaper. I can get up to 80 without wind.

Last edited:

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
It’s painted so I’m not sure what the construction is for sure. Feels like it’s composite. I found this online:

View attachment 1260186

I got the SFR10M, which feels like a very solid 50lb+ jig stick but can load a 45 pretty well. I’m scared what pulling on the heavier ones feel like. Some videos here:https://sfrods.com/videos/

Im pretty excited to built and fish it.

Seen the videos.... Pretty sharky.... Must be a best.. ulua killer?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Have heard of them, but they are shark surf fishing rods, to my knowledge. Many people in texas use them. Theres a whole texas scene dedicated to them. Maybe a texas fishing forum would garber more info. It can load well on a small jig, but distance is where it could lack because of weight. Since most people use it to cast 5-10oz for sharks, not sure if it will actually be able to work well for jigs. Not sure if you have cast it yet, but i dont think its going to cast far. I think they undervalue the power on the rods. I think the power is one step above the actual rating. The ML may be a M, the M may be an H, etc, just from watching people pull on them and the way they describe it. Also from the videos online. But let me know, i may be wrong.

The price is also a big factor. I would rather stick to the locap stuff that is guaranteed to cast a jig and purposefully made for jigs. I guarantee it will outperform that blank. Without real effort, my buddy with a bad shoulder cast a tady 45 over 60 yards on my Reaper. I can get up to 80 without wind.
Yep I agree with about 80% of what you wrote. I know the guy I got it from is going to be doing to meet ups to let people cast them and pull on them, I'd like to cast side by side with my traditional sticks and see if there is anything.

Its funny you brought up the reaper, I have one and like it a lot and its sort of the same feeling I got with messing around with these blanks, a first seems way to fast and stiff to be good, but loads up with a lot less effort than you would assume.

I don't see a real use for the H or XH out here, at least not as a jig stick, the M I pulled on with a stupid tight drag on a TN20 yanked me out of my shoes. Id be afraid of trying to pull on a fish straight up and down with anything heavier, which is something you don't have to worry about beach fishing with a 30W and a plate harness.

Reactions: BowBoy

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
I picked up an NFC 8' 40# jigstick blank for $125 last year. Just from watching a couple of those videos, I will stick with what I have and perhaps add some more glass rods. That being said, I can see how they would be easier on my old back though. If I ever want to do some LBSF though...

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
Apr 5, 2014
Fort Campbell, Ky
Name
Reginald
Boat
US Army
Speaking with the owner of Steadfast, they are made overseas and are a glass and graphite blend. Per the owner, they are not one of those mass produced blanks and they just slap their company name on it. Spent 3 years in development with his own hired engineer and found a company to roll
their blanks. Owner is pretty straight forward guy.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Anyone know how one might procure one of these blanks? Is there a seller in Socal? Shipping from TX would be brutal

Hector Garcia

Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Reactions: jigstickjeff

BowBoy

"SSSSHHHH its a secret"
Mar 28, 2006
Far away place
Name
Laslo
Boat
Tin can
They cast great, tons of pulling power. Message me for more info. Very unique pieces that I can only compare to a old harnell, with more backbone and less bendy thru the handle area. Nice pieces. Depending on your physical stamina, anything over a MH is too much for jig fishing.

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    They cast great, tons of pulling power. Message me for more info. Very unique pieces that I can only compare to a old harnell, with more backbone and less bendy thru the handle area. Nice pieces. Depending on your physical stamina, anything over a MH is too much for jig fishing.
    Looks like the ML rating is the same as a Harnell 542.

Hector Garcia

Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    Remind me what the almighty Ulua was designed for again?

Im not talking uluas. I personally dont like uluas. Too bulky and require reels that fit, unless you put a 30 sized seat on it. I prefer my 90J, 100J, and a couple of other blanks. Ive actually switched over to the Reaper now because of its easy castability and overall power. But, as I said, I have not tried the steadfast, and am just going based on the videos and pictures i have seen of people casting and shark fishing.

Reactions: Fillets4Days

Fillets4Days

Mar 30, 2016
    Perris, CA
    Name
    Jared
    Boat
    NA
    Im not talking uluas. I personally dont like uluas. Too bulky and require reels that fit, unless you put a 30 sized seat on it. I prefer my 90J, 100J, and a couple of other blanks.

Fair enough ;-) I’m personally stoked on the rods. I have a M and I haven’t wrapped it yet so I will withhold judgment on casting or fighting a fish. The butt is less than 1.00” OD so mounting a reel will not be an issue and it feels comfortable in the hand. Unlike the last 10’ Seeker blank I held in my hands this is straight as an arrow. I can’t compare to a 100j as I have never seen that blank in stock anywhere. Once I wrap it and if I’m fortunate enough to hook into a few fish with it I’ll have a more solid opinion.

graya

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2005
    Fontana CA
    Name
    Guadalupe Raya
    Boat
    none
    I pulled on this blanks and it looks like they will be nice to fish really nice bends on the blanks easy to cast a little bit heavy if you are used to the composites but not bad butt diameter is ok not as fat and bulky like the Uluas more like a 100J from calstar but more backbone than the uluas and 100J if you like the long rods this one will be a nice piece to add to the Arsenal can’t wait to get my blanks and wrap them

fatkid1

Jr's Custom Rods
    Jun 7, 2009
    Norco, ca
    Name
    Francisco illingworth
    Boat
    20 foot trophy bayliner
    These bend like no other and load up like a dream. They are very comparable to the Harnel. My favorites are the ML and M. I built the first one for Danny Harrison that runs the Socal Steadfast instagram. He is the Socal rep for these blanks. He also runs Off Switch Charters and Harbor Creepers if you guys want more info on these blanks or give me a DM and ill let you in and what I know based on building one and how they feel.

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
    Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    These bend like no other and load up like a dream. They are very comparable to the Harnel. My favorites are the ML and M. I built the first one for Danny Harrison that runs the Socal Steadfast instagram. He is the Socal rep for these blanks. He also runs Off Switch Charters and Harbor Creepers if you guys want more info on these blanks or give me a DM and ill let you in and what I know based on building one and how they feel.
    that's a nice stick. I met up with Danny and was able to test it out. It felt good.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    I pulled on this blanks and it looks like they will be nice to fish really nice bends on the blanks easy to cast a little bit heavy if you are used to the composites but not bad butt diameter is ok not as fat and bulky like the Uluas more like a 100J from calstar but more backbone than the uluas and 100J if you like the long rods this one will be a nice piece to add to the Arsenal can’t wait to get my blanks and wrap them
    This was exactly my take on them as well.

BowBoy

"SSSSHHHH its a secret"
    Mar 28, 2006
    Far away place
    Name
    Laslo
    Boat
    Tin can
    Working on the 5th order as of now. 7 more pieces before the order goes out.
    The 8.5 M 30-80 and 8.5 MH 40-100 are available as well for purchase. These 8.5’ are very nice pieces as well. Think 6480H on roids.

Latest posts