May 7, 2003
Carlsbad
www.spectrum-hardware.com
Name
John Martin
Boat
Outee Five II 25 Skipjack Fisherman
but it's hard.. .been fishing out of Oside religously all summer
Been going North, South, West, for a whole lot of nothing...
Early July fished 209 area; Skunked most life was inside. Last weekend went out to about 8 miles out, saw some big schools of bonito a couple miles off the harbor jetties (kinda rare in my book) and saw a few sharks... think they were GW because of the large fins..makes sense. Then headed up to 12-13 miles off domes... found a paddy, saw some dodo's... chunked it, dropped down to 12lb flouro, bingo! Then farmed it...lol

Yesterday July 23rd, decided to go South12-15 off Encinitas; found great paddies.. saw some yellows, and smaller dodo's; metered a shit ton of bait 40-80 feet; i'm talking a shit ton; 1 bite and it the was smallest blue shark I've ever seen... jumped out of water.. a few times.. the one disadvantage to chunkbait sometimes. Found a few more paddies while heading north around 15miles out.. could be yellow fin? Tried Everything... poppers, irons, flatfalls.. blueballs... nothing worked. Great dolphin photo my buddy ED took a photo of... picked up some big marks under dolphins... but nada, trolled in front of them, over them, chunked again, flat falls..nadda
sure ain't 2015 yet! My predictions: It's coming soon, keep on trucking!

The water wanted to be blue, but still light aqua greenish... perfect day on the water with good friends.

IMG_3979.jpg

Upvote 0

Seagina

Super stoked to fish.
May 7, 2003
Carlsbad
www.spectrum-hardware.com
Name
John Martin
Boat
Outee Five II 25 Skipjack Fisherman
Here's another Laugh Out Loud Oceanside Sign.
"NO BOAT TRAILER PARKING FOR MORE THAN 2 HOURS"
right below that
"NO UNATTACHED TRAILER PARKING MORE THAN 72 HOURS"
below that
"NO CAMPING"
JUST FYI, No One seems to know the purpose of this sign.. I flagged down an officer and he said, "We don't do parking". Went in to the harbor office and they claim you can still get a ticket even if you diss atach your trailer... "I was told, IT"S COMPLICATED"
Now you have to get a permit to park your trailer in the over flow free parking, and attach the paper sign to your trailer somehow... LOL

I love you OSIDE, but WTF is wrong with all the parking fiascals... everyone one of us really wants to obey the law.. but no need to make things complicated, right?
PS don't back into any lots either; theirs a sign for that too!

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Thanks for the report. It's a tougher year than the last few, but I still think this year is better than average, that's for sure.

The biggest issues (in my opinion) have been (1) the amount of bait (too much!); and (2) conditions changing quickly from day to day, week to week.

The most frustrating thing about this year for me so far has been all the fish on kelps that won't bite. I can't believe the size and the volume of the yellows on some of the kelps. Again, most of this seems to be due to the amount of bait around and fluctuating water conditions.

The good news is that the kelps are really starting to bite further South - so I do think we will be in for some great kelp fishing later in the Summer when things hopefully stabilize.

Obviously for the guys with the patience for the yummy flyer, we are talking about historic fishing on those blue fin tuna. Total go big or go home fishing that can be super boring - but when you do hit - its a home run.

August through October are going to be fun.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I'm wondering, has anyone tried to just sit on the fish for an entire day and see whether they eventually become active? I've had a lot of these kelp fish chase iron out of curiosity, but not bite. Figures it's a reaction move. How long can a yellowtail sit on a full stomach? Do they leave at night?

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
John, i'd tow your boat down to Mission Bay and head south about 50 miles. You'll be burning fuel but as least you'll have something to show for it.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Oside religously all summer
Been going North, South, West, for a whole lot of nothing...

Yesterday July 23rd, decided to go South12-15 off Encinitas; found great paddies.. saw some yellows, and smaller dodo's; metered a shit ton of bait 40-80 feet; Tried Everything... poppers, irons, flatfalls.. blueballs... nothing worked.
View attachment 853088

Great picture of the flying dolphin!

I'm wondering, has anyone tried to just sit on the fish for an entire day and see whether they eventually become active? I've had a lot of these kelp fish chase iron out of curiosity, but not bite. Figures it's a reaction move. How long can a yellowtail sit on a full stomach? Do they leave at night?

Been out a lot this year searching for paddies, If I saw fish I'd never leave. Lying, so impatient. Obviously the kitchen sink was tried this time, or was it? Going to bring shrimp, mussels and clams from now on?. Crawdads?

Two years ago I had a bull dorado choke down a fresh frozen squid on a paddy as I watched. He never even ran with it. When I knew it was down the hatch I set the hook. Pitiful.

Reactions: martman and Zed
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
First off, take a deep breath, . . . .
When I had a few trips earlier this year, was not happy with the catching, I did what I always do.
I headed to the little island (SBI) for a freezer cod trip.
It's 39.9 miles from the entrance of MDR breakwater.
Add the motoring around once we get there, trip back, and it's the best 100 miles I can travel for my therapy.
Oh yeah the freezer was supplemented nicely, great taco meat 2 boot.

Came back the following week and managed 2 nice Halibut.
The following week my partner nails 15, 17, and 32 pound Halibut.

THAT SIGN should disappear!

From John to John, hang in there it will happen!

Reactions: bricktop27
Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
First off, take a deep breath, . . . .

...THAT SIGN should disappear!...

I do not live in Oceanside, nor San Diego County (DUH!), but I'll try to interpret the signage.

First of all, that sign will never disappear. Typically most local ordinances can not be enforced unless the public is aware of the restriction. Signs that advise of parking restrictions also have the ruling ordinance to allow enforcement.

The top advisement appears to be a parking ticket enforcement section. No boat trailers of any kind parked more than 2 hours (I'm guessing that this is for the curbs approaching the launch ramps).

Second advisement appears to be an "abandoned vehicle" advisement. Leaving a trailer of any kind, by itself for 72 hours, can warrant a parking ticket. (I'm guessing that the ordinance also refers to the CA vehicle code sections regarding removal of vehicles parked for over 72 hours and how those can be considered to be abandoned vehicles. The same CA vehicle code section applies to all vehicles. Most cities and counties have such an ordinance to remove vehicles to keep streets from being filled with little used or abandoned cars.)

The bottom advisement is simple, no camping. (But what is 'camping', you may have to check up on what is defined as camping. In most commercial recreation areas, 'no camping' means no sleeping overnight in your car/truck/camper.)

Cops generally don't enforce parking ordinances in specific areas. City/County parking enforcement officers would ticket vehicles. The overseeing agency of the launch area could contract out parking enforcement, if given that authority by the harbor district/city/county. Removal of vehicles by the 72 hour ordinance does require some oversight authority because the removal must be immediately reported to the law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction.

I am not providing any legal advice. I am not an attorney, nor would I ever want to be one.

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
I do not live in Oceanside, nor San Diego County (DUH!), but I'll try to interpret the signage.

First of all, that sign will never disappear. Typically most local ordinances can not be enforced unless the public is aware of the restriction. Signs that advise of parking restrictions also have the ruling ordinance to allow enforcement.

The top advisement appears to be a parking ticket enforcement section. No boat trailers of any kind parked more than 2 hours (I'm guessing that this is for the curbs approaching the launch ramps).

Second advisement appears to be an "abandoned vehicle" advisement. Leaving a trailer of any kind, by itself for 72 hours, can warrant a parking ticket. (I'm guessing that the ordinance also refers to the CA vehicle code sections regarding removal of vehicles parked for over 72 hours and how those can be considered to be abandoned vehicles. The same CA vehicle code section applies to all vehicles. Most cities and counties have such an ordinance to remove vehicles to keep streets from being filled with little used or abandoned cars.)

The bottom advisement is simple, no camping. (But what is 'camping', you may have to check up on what is defined as camping. In most commercial recreation areas, 'no camping' means no sleeping overnight in your car/truck/camper.)

Cops generally don't enforce parking ordinances in specific areas. City/County parking enforcement officers would ticket vehicles. The overseeing agency of the launch area could contract out parking enforcement, if given that authority by the harbor district/city/county. Removal of vehicles by the 72 hour ordinance does require some oversight authority because the removal must be immediately reported to the law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction.

I am not providing any legal advice. I am not an attorney, nor would I ever want to be one.
Well what that sign means to me is that no matter how good the fishing is out side that harbor im not going to patronize that town , i will go and spend my money elsewhere ! Cant imagine how bad it would be to come back from a days fishing and find my truck and trailer gone to some tow yard !

Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

With society changing every split second, how well do you think you know society?

The other day the city I live in put up a sign in a neighborhood across the BLVD.
Because the city was targeting a certain individual who was parking no less than 10+ vehicles at his house, the neighbors were not happy as they could not even park in front of their own houses.
Parking sign goes up, and that night homeboy took a saws-all (sp) to it.
Needless to say nobody has seen him do it.
He's like a lightning rod! In more ways than one!
This is the 3rd time the sign has been cut down.

My point is THAT SIGN could/might disappear at any time given the certain nature of a certain individual.
Individuals of certain natures are everywhere, we just don't know who they are or when they will go too far.

I'm not condoning anything, merely providing a factual example based on a similar incident locally.

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Well what that sign means to me is that no matter how good the fishing is out side that harbor im not going to patronize that town , i will go and spend my money elsewhere ! Cant imagine how bad it would be to come back from a days fishing and find my truck and trailer gone to some tow yard !

Every town/county has similar ordinances, especially for those areas that generate a lot of visitor/commercial cash. Like I said, the ordinances allow removal of vehicles parked on the street and rusting out (eyesores to the NIMBYs).

If there is a parking area that falls under that ordinance, the lot/area must be posted at entrances (yet another, but different sign!) that vehicles may be towed/removed and must show the ordinance reference and the phone number of the local law enforcement agency. You probably drive past 50 to 100 of those signs every day, but don't read them because they become part of the everyday background.

Upvote 0

Kid Paella

Almost A Member
Jan 24, 2015
Name
Kevin
Boat
Crystaliner 29 R/S
Steel shafts guys know that any fish on a paddy means fish on the boat. Buy yourself a gun and jump in.
Have to say, that's been my experience. Bunch of yellowtail below the boat, nothing biting. Speartips don't require cooperation. And the fish have been very much packed with bait

Upvote 0

Wolfman4

Wolfman
Feb 20, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Quidort
Boat
C-Dory
With society changing every split second, how well do you think you know society?

The other day the city I live in put up a sign in a neighborhood across the BLVD.
Because the city was targeting a certain individual who was parking no less than 10+ vehicles at his house, the neighbors were not happy as they could not even park in front of their own houses.
Parking sign goes up, and that night homeboy took a saws-all (sp) to it.
Needless to say nobody has seen him do it.
He's like a lightning rod! In more ways than one!
This is the 3rd time the sign has been cut down.

My point is THAT SIGN could/might disappear at any time given the certain nature of a certain individual.
Individuals of certain natures are everywhere, we just don't know who they are or when they will go too far.

I'm not condoning anything, merely providing a factual example based on a similar incident locally.

Upvote 0