State of the tuna...broken water, what next?

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by karlk1125, Sep 5, 2012.

1. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    It looks like this spectacular tuna fishing we've had is coming to a close for the time being. The monterey current is cut off and not producing fish anymore, and it looks like the pioneer water is being cut off as well from the looks of it. The season is still young and I bet we'll get another push. What are your thoughts for you older and wiser fishermen?

2. bigFISHINyak

bigFISHINyak Newbie

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    eventually.......
    So far the season has been good up north. Not so good on the central coast but based on the past couple years late September and early October has had some good tuna fishing on the central coast. Not last year but the previous year (2010) we were catching thanksgiving albies. I don't think the bite is over at all. I think this was just the initial surge of the schools that are going to be pushing through later this month/next month. We haven't yet gotten the warm water pushing through the 1908 and donut quite yet. Have to be patient and wait for that warm water to make its move toward us. Regardless, there are going to be some very large albies sticking around in the dirty water that isn't quite as warm.

3. wombatV

wombatV Newbie

Name:
    lambert Woo
    Boat:
    WombatV/185 Edgewater
    Lightening in the mountains means that the tuna are still here. It aint over til the big ones come through. Can't expect 25 mile runs all the time. Bet the 124 line is full of tuna right now. But with people plugged with tuna the fever to go the distance may be over. Albacore mill around our coast feeding and getting fat.

Meanwhile...prepare for the next epic bite that is sure to come. We just need a shift in the currents.

It is usually over when the first real winter storm comes through.. By that time we will be CRABBING. at which point i would have wished that i had kept all of those heads for bait..

4. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looks like Pioneer is still producing! a 50 and a 47lber were caught today...there are some HOGS out there!

5. wombatV

wombatV Newbie

Name:
    lambert Woo
    Boat:
    WombatV/185 Edgewater
    hope that it isn't the sign of the big guys getting through....although i did get my biggest one last week close to there as well...

6. cabo jon

cabo jon Carey-On

Name:
    jon
    Boat:
    Carey-On
    Guys its not over. We went the distance on tuesday and found fish. Granted not as many as the previos weeks, however hurricane ireane had long enough arms to reach monterey this week(at least the risidual effects did. I would not be the least bit surprised to find some dorado at the 124 line soon. If these tropical storms continue thier el nino pattern be ready for a late season. I hope I hope I HOPE. We all just got spoiled with 20-30 nmile runs. Gum Drop is wide open right now, bacci in Santa Cruz has beautiful anchovies now. Good Luck too all the die hards willing to make the distance. Tight lines.

Cabo Jon

7. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    I wish I had some chovies when I ran in SC! Would of caught 40 instead of 16!
    Jon-with the incredible dodo fishing in socal right now it really wouldnt surprise me for us to get some real good (for our standards) tropical fish numbers up here this fall. We just need that warmer 61-64 degree water thats 100nm offshore to make a push in. I'd love for that gumdrop water to stick around for awhile...much nicer leaving my slip in bodega than to drag the boat 3 hours each way!

8. wombatV

wombatV Newbie

Name:
    lambert Woo
    Boat:
    WombatV/185 Edgewater
    was planning on another run to the pioneer canyon edge...but it looked like you had to go all the way out to the gumdrop area

went to sims metal and bought more stainless steel stock to weld up some more stuff and make some more jigs instead...

its all about the process of making, planning and getting stuff done anyways..

hopefully the currents rotate the stuff back again with the end of the southerly swells..

9. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    2 15-20# yellowtail were caught today north of the gumdrop!

10. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    numbers for the "Gumdrop" please..

11. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
  12. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Anyways, nothing to worry about, just a little reset until the weather calms down then it will be game on again.

13. wombatV

wombatV Newbie

Name:
    lambert Woo
    Boat:
    WombatV/185 Edgewater
    gumdrop is due west of halfmoon bay... about 45 miles....but they may be closer around the pioneer mount. .. 37 25 and 123 30 ish.

hopefully the currents swing in closer soon though just north of the 601 area.

14. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Thanks guys

15. Davidson Boats

Davidson Boats Newbie

Name:
    Davidson Boats
    Boat:
    1CRAZY1
    Go back to Tahoe and sunbathing CJ the tourney is over! :rofl:

16. cabo jon

cabo jon Carey-On

Name:
    jon
    Boat:
    Carey-On
    Just your because you busy killing Bambi and about to get bumped down another position you dont have to be so angry:waglleybooty:
    When your ready to go poonin get your ass up here.

17. cabo jon

cabo jon Carey-On

Name:
    jon
    Boat:
    Carey-On
    Ethan,

The weather is 5-15 on sunday not bad for here. Kahuna has been going with live bait when Bacci In Santa Cruz has it, which they do right now. There is a great break out about 50 miles. Well within Kahunas reach, Donnie will no doupt be heading towards that break. Hope this helps and good luck.

18. pascuale

pascuale Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Thanks Jon,

I made my own post to not jack this one. Albies are being caught down here in San Diego so they are still making their way north. We just started getting a few about a week ago and some 40lb models from what ive heard.