Starting to Build Saltwater Tackle Box

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Kopfjager, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Kopfjager

Kopfjager Newbie

Name:
    Nick Tisinger
    Boat:
    None
    Loving all the info I've been reading lately, and appreciating all the help I received on my last question! Now that I have my first two rod/reel setups (mostly) figured out, I am looking to start building up a saltwater tackle box.

I don't have anything yet really. Have only fly-lined live bait, and/or used boat's rental gear in the past. I live in central/southern CA, and plan on going after rock fish, yellow/bluefin, yellowtail, and dorado this year. I have a Okuma 7' SCT 15-40 that will likely be getting a Progear (or similar) reel for a 25lb setup, and I have a Penn Fathom 2-speed 25N lever drag, that will be paired with a 7' Cousins/Phenix/UC Heavy/Fast rod for a 35/40 lb setup.

Going to be hitting up the Fred Hall show in Bakersfield this next weekend, and will be looking to pick up a new bag/box, jigs, hooks, etc. What are your recommendations, and what should I focus on? Again, always appreciate your input, and look forward to your feedback!

Nick

2. GOFAST88

GOFAST88 WORKHARD-FISHHARD

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner
    Flat fall, Colt sniper, Tady 6x jr & 7x yoyo. I picked up some of the new colt sniper stick and Jerk baits at the Long beach show... they look deadly. Great deals on leader and hooks.

3. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    20,25,30,40 lb flourocarbon. Use double surgeons knot to attach to mono or learn a knot to connect to spectra (RP, Pena, FG). Irons listed above are a good start.

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Hooks:

Regular old bronze mustad ones probably in size 4, 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 would be a good start

Also might want some 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 circle hooks

Sinkers:

Egg sinkers in 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 oz (2 or 3 of each)

Torpedo sinkers in 3, 4, 6, 10, 16 oz. (2 or 3 of each)

Lures:

Megabait or coltsniper style in 2oz, 4oz silver colors like blue or black back
    Yoyo iron: salas 6xjr in scrambled egg, full size salas 6x also in scrambled egg
    Surface iron (might want to wait on this until you become a good caster), but a mint or birdshit 7x is a good start.

That is pretty much all you need and really more than you need to get started.

5. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Save yourself some money and buy a Diawa Proteus 76 or 80HF for the 25NLD. Even at list they are a killer deal but there are sales all over the place right now including at FH according other posts on here.

6. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I would get a tackle backpack type bag that holds maybe 3 or 4 plano boxes. Get some extra boxes. That way you can use the same bag for different types of fishing just by switching out the boxes. One box for hooks, one for plastics and smaller lead heads, one for deep jigs and heavier sinkers (for rock fishing), one with surface irons and smaller sinkers ... including small egg sinkers ... well, you get the idea. Use side pockets for rags, gloves etc, and the top part for knife, leader material, plaids etc. Shimano makes a nice one.

Not affiliated

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...mano+barona.TRS0&_nkw=shimano+barona&_sacat=0

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
    There's a lot of good info and advice here. Walkerman brings up the bag and box shuffle. The only thing that I don't agree with is the box full of different hooks. I see it all the time on the boats and i just have to ask myself "what are they going to do with all those hooks, especially if the box gets dropped." I prefer to use the little plastic sleeves that the hooks come in all sorted and connected with a carabiner. Once you start fishing you can just take one package off the carabiner and put it in your pocket so you have that size ready if (when) you have to retie in a hurry.

8. Kopfjager

Kopfjager Newbie

Name:
    Nick Tisinger
    Boat:
    None
    Awesome info here! Thank you guys for all the help! I've found myself in a bit of a quandary this morning... I was probably gonna go with a star drag Fathom for my lighter setup, but noticed Charkbait's special on the Pro Gear reels spooled for $200! Would that be the better option?

9. Kai

Kai Newbie

Name:
    Kai Lu
    Boat:
    none.
    the 3 basic colors I caught fish with:
    Blue/White or w mackerel pattern
    scrambled egg or fried egg.
    green'/yellow

Pep,
    Killer Jigs.
    Salas 7x Jr. Heavy and Light
    6x jr heavy
    7x Heavy and light
    UFO/Ironman 1 jigs
    Try to get a
    9-10 ft Jig stick. Get a Calstar 100J custom with Fuji guides is a good one. OR

PhENIX aBYSS PSX-1008. Seeker Equivalent Probably good here too.

10'0" 20 - 50 1 Mod. Fast Essex SiC Custom deckhand wrap $239
    Paired with a Fathom 25N. These reels really cast like hell.

Pro Gear Equivalent will work you wonders as well.

Would be a bitching 30# setup.

CAn't forget other iron, and various swimbaits.

2. 12-20#
    Setup
    I like My Phenix Black Diamond Inshore Series. 9 ft 10-30 lb rod. Great stick!

Pair it with a Abu Garcia Winch, Shimano Calcutta 200 Te, Daiwa Luna, Curado 200-300 size, etc is needed.

This is a very helpful setup to fish swimbaits, live bait for Calicos, Barracuda bonita etc.

10. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Some guys could literally buy a tackle shop. And still think they needed something.... My home tackle storage unit is a 6', 9 drawer dresser.

nu2reels likes this.
  11. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    You are basically on the right track. My #25 and #40 get the most work out of all my outfits. For now, it's a good idea to focus on versatility. Spectra to short topshots of fluorocarbon will provide just that. Sure it's fun to fish artificials, but the first thing you should learn to do well, is fish a live bait. No matter what length trip or where you go, if you can do it correctly, you will catch fish. The time spent doing this will teach you all you need to know to get started on fishing jigs, iron, and the like. Nobody has given you bad advice, this is just my $.02

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  12. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    A

Well, I didn't say take them out of the sleeves before you put them in the box ......

13. LEGENDS

LEGENDS Yogi Bear

Name:
    Sam
    Boat:
    None
    Tady A15's or Salas Super 7x or JRI in the similar size.

GT walkers in the sardine or dorado pattern

Yo-Zuri sashimi or hydro bull poppers

And Tady 4/0 in all mint for yoyo

14. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    You can also get a regular backpack with multiple compartments for cheap and throw your plano boxes, hook packets, flouro spools and whatever else in there. Thats if you don' t want to spend $100 plus on a brand name "tackle backpack". Unless you are going on more than a 3 day trip, you shouldn't need more than this.

15. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Rolling tackle box. I have one tray hooks 35mm bottles when I figure it out. One tray jig heads big hammer and scampis. Next tray surface iron next yoyo next weights up to 12 ox and sliding and rubber core. Top finger wrap saguaro serra socks first aid kit