Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
"...I have no idea where to start on selecting equipment, and I understand there is rental gear, but I really want to have my own stuff.

So my question is what would you pick for 3 starter combos for anything up to a 5 day trip? I want 3 rod and reel combos that can be versatile for multiple situations and price isn't an issue..."

Understand the bit about "price isn't an issue" but if people on this site bought cars the way they bought reels then there would be whole fleets of Ferrari's, Lamborgini's, Porsche's, etc., in their garages. Sure, it'll be fun, but overkill most of the time especially if just getting from point A to point B is the primary objective.

Factor in another 1/4-1/3 of what you allocated for just the new reels as cost of the new braid line. Add another $300-$500 for the terminal tackle, lures, etc.

See my reply (#16) here:

That lineup of conventionals has gone on up to 8-day trips. 50, 65, and 80 lb braid main lined, star drag setups will meet your "3 starter combos" requirement.

Of course, not everyone aspires (or want) to eventually fish with Zane Grey-era gear. Your physical condition will be the best determinant of when/where you may be wanting the "granny gear" of a 2-speed...50 lb (17-18 lbs drag) is a reasonable point to start considering it.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Definitely do not buy any LR specific gear before your trip unless you are sure that the price would allow you to pass it on without a financial hit. Just use loaner gear from the boats. On a 1-3 day trip they may charge a rental fee but usually on 7 day or longer they are happy to loan you what you might need.

Just pack your clothes, hat, sun glasses and wallet and have fun your first time out. Not having to transport, setup and worry about your gear gives you time to look around the boat. Check out everyone's gear and chat about what they like and don't like in rods and reels.

Meeting up with screamingreel to check out the rigs he is suggesting would be well worth the time.

Good luck whatever you do and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
If on a Budget...... my best bang for the buck 3 set ups are...

1) Penn Fathom 15LD2 on Okuma PCH 801 MH 15-40lb rod

2) Penn Fathom 25NLD2 on Okuma PCH 80XH 30-60lb rod

3) Penn Fathom 40NLD2 on Okuma PCH 76XXH or 701XXH rod

If money is Not a problem then...

1) Accurate Valiant BV2-300 on UC RGP80 Mega 20-50lb rod

2) Accurate Valiant BV2-500 on UC RGP80 HP or Tilefish rod

3) Accurate Valiant BV2-800 on UC RGP76 Predator rod.

Or Penn Torque Reels if your going the United Composites RGP series rods.

Anything below 40lb set up you can do Star drag like the Accurate TERN or Penn FATHOM II Star drags.... But its just me and like the smallest 2 speed I could have. jmho.
Full disclosure, I'm a Penn fan, but this just about hits the nail on the head for "starter setup". I brought an array of the Okuma PCH rods with a variety of Fathom, Torque and VISX reels, but the "budget" / blue collar setup got the job done on my first San Diego trip after a 20 year drought. . Penn Fathom 40N lever drag 2-speed on a Okuma PCH-C-801XH with 80# Berkley ProSpec braid got the job done on 2x BFT at 200 pounds.

BFT 2.jpg

BFT.jpg

JamesTaylor
JamesTaylor
How did the 801xh handle that size fish?
Anders1
Anders1
James, I had a little over 1/2 the spool off the reel at the most on both 200# fish, they both went away from the boat, not straight down. Easier fight. Plenty of strength in the rod. I was speed jigging vertically with that setup.

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Full disclosure, I'm a Penn fan, but this just about hits the nail on the head for "starter setup". I brought an array of the Okuma PCH rods with a variety of Fathom, Torque and VISX reels, but the "budget" / blue collar setup got the job done on my first San Diego trip after a 20 year drought. . Penn Fathom 40N lever drag 2-speed on a Okuma PCH-C-801XH with 80# Berkley ProSpec braid got the job done on 2x BFT at 200 pounds.

View attachment 1271874

View attachment 1271875
The proof is in the pudding!

A less than $499 Best Bang for the Buck Combo.

Penn Fathom LD’s are the only reel in its class which incorporate a Thrust Bearing, whether its one of the factors of its successful performance is still debatable😉.

Okuma PCH Custom Rods...well for $150sh if its on sale, I wonder how can it be profitable with Alps Reel Seat, Fuji K- Guides, Hypalon grips...etc..

One should check Alan Tani’s video posted here on BD using Okuma PCH Custom Rod on a Cow Tuna putting the rod’s performance to test.

Reactions: Anders1 and Warlord

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth

View attachment 1271874

View attachment 1271875

The proof is in the pudding!

A less than $499 Best Bang for the Buck Combo.

Penn Fathom LD’s are the only reel in its class which incorporate a Thrust Bearing, whether its one of the factors of its successful performance is still debatable😉.

Okuma PCH Custom Rods...well for $150sh if its on sale, I wonder how can it be profitable with Alps Reel Seat, Fuji K- Guides, Hypalon grips...etc..

One should check Alan Tani’s video posted here on BD using Okuma PCH Custom Rod on a Cow Tuna putting the rod’s performance to test.
The Fathom 40NLD2 is $309 list, You can get the PCH-C-801XH can be had for $150 on sale, so $460 is what people can easily get that setup for, even less with a little shopping involved. Great setup, 90% as effective as setups at twice the cost of many setups mentioned in this post.