starfire, morro bay landing - 7/5/2019

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by alantani, Jul 12, 2019.

1. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    finally getting around to posting the photos! tim, bryan and i fished the starfire last friday. there were earthquakes that morning and the day before. i've seen earthquakes shut down the salmon bite out of san francisco years ago. i think these quakes had a similar effect on the rockfishing for our trip. it was pretty slow. sal rocha is the new skipper!

[​IMG]

mike oddo is on the deck.

[​IMG]

still got a nice limit of rockfish!

[​IMG]

randy and karen pauly joined us for dinner that night. lots of fun. randy, thanks for the scotch!!!!!

[​IMG]

and here's a short video of the skipper!

2. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    great to see sal and oddo still at it...

mkikkawa likes this.
  3. XBDEE

XBDEE Member

Name:
    Dee
    Boat:
    N/a
    Definitely need to get back up there to visit and checkout the new boat! Thanks for posting.

mkikkawa likes this.
  4. joe pimentel

joe pimentel 805 local

Name:
    Joe P.
    Boat:
    The Pacific Mistress
    :smoking33:Mike out grew the Avenger once he quit drinking they had to get a bigger boat.:food-smiley-014:cheers to the Central Coast. Great shot of Morro Rock in the video Oddo is the only deck boss who works in flip flops I've ever seen he's a real Barnical:food-smillooks like you did okay I wish I could say the same last time I fished there it was scratchy to say the least:Smoke_Emoticon:

5. pascuale

pascuale I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Beautiful fish. I may be moving to the Santa Cruz/Monterrey Area soon. A big change from So Cal Tuna. Besides Morro Bay, where is the best place to fish along this coast Alan?

Peg North likes this.
  6. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    you're going to be disappointed with the fishing locally. we have salmon, but it's an absolute zoo when the bite is good. then there is the regular rock fish and ling cod, but many of the local boats will only hit the closest reefs, so the fish are small. and then there is crab. it's only good in the few weeks between the time when sport season starts and commercial season. then it tapers off dramatically. one of the local captains told me that the commercial crabbers will pull 80% of the biomass from the ocean in the first 3 weeks.

so, yeah, pretty crummy fishing locally.......

pascuale likes this.
  7. Fish headz

Fish headz Newbie

Name:
    Salt angler
    Boat:
    Still looking
    Big Sur,capitola,moss landing but the Monterey bay itself has good fishing

Peg North and pascuale like this.
  8. Fish headz

Fish headz Newbie

Name:
    Salt angler
    Boat:
    Still looking
    Also could get White Sea bass in Monterey Bay Area

Peg North likes this.
  9. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Fort Bragg is a great place to fish, Halibut, Salmon, Albacore, Cods, Dungeness crabs, and not to mention wide open red tail surf perch 1-3 lbs all day long if you like surf fishing!

Peg North and pascuale like this.
  10. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    When does the commercial season start or is it different every year??? I know what your saying, about the count drops off the face off the earth when the commercial season opens!!

11. Peg North

Peg North Member

Name:
    "Buggywhip"
    Boat:
    Slow Poke
    Welcome to NorCal, Kevina. Last I heard, the commercial crab season begins 12/15, but it does change every year. They test for Domoic acid for the commercial fleet. We hammered jumbo dungies on the Pacific Dream out of Berkeley a couple weeks ago. If you go with a boat that has a fisherman in the wheelhouse, he’ll take you out to the Farallones whenever the weather permits. That was the case on that trip, and I got a PB olive and a PB blue.

I’m a native San Diegan, grew up and lived just a mile from the landings. I’ve fished all over the US and in Baja. Nothing is like the San Diego fleet. So I must agree with Alan Tani there.

But. It’s beautiful here, so get out there, enjoy the areas, build up your intel and try new things. I started snaring for crab a couple years ago when my charter got blown out, and have had so much fun with it. I love the crab and rockfish combos, and have found much success on Sea Wolf out of Emeryville, Pacific Dream and California Dawn in Berkeley. Also, camping out and catching perch from shore, cooking them right up for lunch or dinner is pretty wonderful. Not like dinner on the Indy, but great nonetheless. Have fun!