Ichthus
Aug 1, 2015
redlands
Name
Mark
Boat
Blue J
5382D0D2-0BEC-4548-9502-2D77C285FB8B.jpeg

Short report… Just another high-quality, high class trip with the guys up in Santa Barbara! Our group had limits all around on the rockfish and limits or close to limits on the white fish. As well as a few lings and a jackpot winning sheep head... My personal best!
BD350089-1993-43B3-A6AC-134BCEBA7E15.jpeg
315D6FCD-720D-4E1A-9285-375B5C88BA3F.jpeg
FE644DC1-D4C5-4575-9214-D0CE6D815C6B.jpeg

Seven of us spent an hour and a half packaging fish this afternoon, and when it was all said and done, 54 pounds of straight up fillets! We are going to eat well on Father’s Day!

I usually try to fish the western outdoor news Striper derby in Lake Havasu every year… I have only missed a handful since 1988. This year it was scheduled for May, and then Covid happened. It got rescheduled for this weekend… Not only is it Father’s Day, it is my wedding anniversary, and my son-in-law‘s birthday. I didn’t feel like I could pull the trigger on going out to the derby this year. Instead, we planned a family trip to go up and fish with the guys in Santa Barbara. We were able to Reserve nine spots on he Stardust! I was excited to fish Captain Sal! The first time I fished up there, when my daughter was a freshman at UCSB he was a deckhand… Now he’s driving the boat! So cool! I have had the trip scheduled for several weeks. In my work, I am a dentist… In my work world, my treatment coordinator is the center of all I do. Her name is Regina. she is a dear friend. She has been dealing with stomach issues for a couple of years now. Two months ago, during Covid, when I was not working, she was diagnosed with a cyst on her uterus. The plan was to go in and drain the cyst, and then do a hysterectomy. Three weeks ago, she went in for the hysterectomy and when they opened her up she was full of cancer… On Wednesday, they she passed away unexpectedly. My heart is heavy. I share this primarily to ask you, my fishing brothers, to pray for her family... especially her grandkids who she was essentially raising. I also want to say that I can’t help but feel that she was with me Friday. I needed to get out and as you all know, fishing is therapeutic

It was cool to win the jackpot with the sheep head. My daughter and I talked the night before about how cool it would be to catch a trophy male goat! I think the salmon grouper and the white fish I had probably would have come in second and third places in the jackpot! I caught the sheep head in the last 10 minutes of the trip. I had plenty of fish in the bag decided to have fun! I broke out my bass rod with a K-man special on it...2 1/2 ounce and 5 inch swim bait! Caught a few others on the K-man as well! Just an amazing day to be with my children and the people I care about the most. I can’t imagine a better way to celebrate Father’s Day! Thanks to Sal, Christian, John and Cam for a great day!
Thank you Jesus and God bless you all on Father’s Day! - Mark

23A8D81C-F43C-46D3-B32C-E76953F3362A.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

farhangs

Aug 29, 2005
Aliso Viejo, CA
Name
bent deck-hose
Boat
Fresh One
Great report! I am sure you are a great boss and dad. Sometimes those good karma trips are way overdue.

In 2016 a patient/friend asked me to make dentures for his mom, as she was old and sick with cancer, but the kids wanted her to have a nice smile. She always instilled the importance of good teeth for her kids, even though she never got around to taking care of her own. Of course I didn’t charge for my work. A couple months after the funeral (right around this time of year) the son called, thanked me again for the gesture, and invited me to fishing for the day. It was a magical trip like yours...

We had no traffic from Santa Ana all the way to Cisco’s in Oxnard. We fished the Mirage with Tucker at the helm. Fishing was kind of slow compared to the boats around us, (the Pacific Dawn was hooked up constantly with passengers hooting and hollering, and some private boats pulled up seabass and halibut) and the day before’s trip where they got limits of white seabass, but we stuck with it and got a few seabass. I was lucky to get one.

A few minutes before we wrapped it up to go rockfishing, I got a solid bite. I was sure it was a bat ray from the weight and lack of head shakes, and thought about cutting the line, but didn’t want it to die dragging behind line and a 1 pound torpedo weight, so I fought it in. So glad I did, it ended up being a huge halibut.

Tucker gaffed it like a machine, no hesitation and perfect placement. I couldn’t believe it. They all estimated 45 pounds.

After rockfishing, we were headed in and they asked me if I wanted it filleted. I said no way, as this was my lifetime best and I wanted an official weight. When we got back in, they put it up on the big scale. To everyone’s surprise, 58 pounds on the nose! In fact, if it was caught 9 months earlier it was a world record. Someone caught a 66# the September before, otherwise the record was 54# for years and years. Jackpot fish (all to crew), Seeker rod additional Jackpot (Seeker sponsored trip).

Perfect ending to a trip, zero traffic again on the way home, on Wednesday evening where traffic was usually heavy.

Your trip timing, last minute jackpot and occupation made me think of that day. Thank you for posting!

Happy Father’s Day Doc.

Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Nice goat! Way to keep a line wet the entire time... And you were just messing around too.

Sorry to hear about Regina. She will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Happy Father's Day! Anniversary!

Awesome way to spend quality time with the family.

Reactions: mark johnsen
Upvote 0

mark johnsen

Ichthus
Aug 1, 2015
redlands
Name
Mark
Boat
Blue J
Thanks guys!

Yes Swami! The Megamouth! (AKA the Stardust Burger when you are on the Coral Sea) The top and bottom buns are actually grilled cheese sandwiches, its topped off with a fried egg and everything in between is pure deliciousness! Friday was only the second time I took one down all on my own. I will usually go halves with my son or thirds with my daughters.

Farhangs,
Thanks for the kind words and for sharing your story! 58 pound biscuit is the fish of a lifetime for sure! That one is still on my bucket list. God is good!

Upvote 0