was leaving thanksgiving night for tanner but no squid boats out. :(

Blackfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
As of Tuesday, the Ultra was at the Isthmus. Not sure if they hard staying past today.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
Here's a dumb question, should you have your bait tank light on at night with squid in the tank - or is better to keep it shut off (so the squid don't spawn out their egg sacks)?

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
Might be a blessing. Have you looked at the weather forecast? When I looked yesterday it said 12-14' swell at 7 seconds and 21 mph wind with gusts to high twenties. My number might be slightly off but in the realm.

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
Looks like the weather forecast has improved....

image.png

Fat Daddy

Sep 27, 2004
Corona
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
Here's a dumb question, should you have your bait tank light on at night with squid in the tank - or is better to keep it shut off (so the squid don't spawn out their egg sacks)?
Light off and cover tank if you can

Fat Daddy

Sep 27, 2004
Corona
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
Light off and cover tank if you can

Reactions: jeremyv75

farhangs

Aug 29, 2005
Aliso Viejo, CA
Name
bent deck-hose
Boat
Fresh One
If there's any way to put in a legal sized bass (in case of a DFG inspection) or a mackerel in the tank it keeps the squid just nervous enough not to spawn and they last much longer.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
If there's any way to put in a legal sized bass (in case of a DFG inspection) or a mackerel in the tank it keeps the squid just nervous enough not to spawn and they last much longer.
Sand bass are not too bright. Within an hour or two they will be eating your squid. Trust me on this. Sculpin are worse though. They will come out so fat they roll over when sitting on the bottom.

Reactions: viti

farhangs

Aug 29, 2005
Aliso Viejo, CA
Name
bent deck-hose
Boat
Fresh One
Sand bass are not too bright. Within an hour or two they will be eating your squid. Trust me on this. Sculpin are worse though. They will come out so fat they roll over when sitting on the bottom.
We've had good luck with mackerel and calicoes. Will keep the others in mind. Haha. Thanksgiving stuffed sand bass.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
And while live squid are best, there have been several dozen Bluefin caught in the past several weeks by fishermen using fresh-dead, spit-up dead, whole frozen, chunked, etc. If I was a private boater going out and hoping to get or buy squid on the way out, I would also have stopped by a market and bought a bunch to take along as backup, or to use as chunk bait in addition to the live.

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
And while live squid are best, there have been several dozen Bluefin caught in the past several weeks by fishermen using fresh-dead, spit-up dead, whole frozen, chunked, etc. If I was a private boater going out and hoping to get or buy squid on the way out, I would also have stopped by a market and bought a bunch to take along as backup, or to use as chunk bait in addition to the live.
Good point