Squid everywhere

Kamehameha

Sep 13, 2014
Seattle
Name
Van
Boat
Duckworth 26 Offshore
Most of the post on here are about salmon and tuna so I hope this bring some more variety to the reports section. Launched out of Alki to squid off our beat up squidding machine. Our plan was to go to the downtown waterfront and jig but our newly installed used prop was acting weird (a lot of vibration at high rpm). We decided to squid near the boat launch and it was on fire. Saw several boats launch to squid and they were heading to downtown, but we didn't want to take the risk.

In 3.5 hours we caught 3 limits for three guys and most of them are large. They are striking our green and pink lure with many doubles. Many times we let our lures drop and instant strike, takes some practice to get the feel for it but once mastered you'll pull one up every minute if they are there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Nice haul!

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
I'm assuming you are using lights, what depth were you fishing in? I've been wanting to try this forever..

Kamehameha

Sep 13, 2014
Seattle
Name
Van
Boat
Duckworth 26 Offshore
I'm assuming you are using lights, what depth were you fishing in? I've been wanting to try this forever..
We anchor around 50 feet. When it's slow we drop all the way to the bottom and reel up about 2 feet off bottom and start jigging. When there is an aggressive school feeding we drop our lure about 20 ft and jig, when they are aggressively attackhig the lure you can actually faintly feel them "bite" without jigging the lure.

We hook up two led flood lights to each side of the boat, check out the picture.

Reactions: Stair Guy

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
So what is your plan with them....calamari or hali bait? If you eat them what is the best way to prepare/cook them....dredge in egg/flour then deep-fry????? Nice haul.....

Reactions: Moosemeat

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
Jul 23, 2014
Renton WA
Name
Jason Champion
Boat
GW 272 sailfish
I think I'm going to go give this a shot on Wednesday night. I used to catch them as a kid off the pier in Santa Cruz. My Neighbor has gone squiding in a few times here in the Northwest, I'll take him with me.

Thanks a whole lot for reporting.

Reactions: stella marina

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
If you want to make them premium for consumption or bait.Put them in a mesh bag and drag them along side your boat at a slow idle.They will die and ink out leaving you with a premium product whatever you decide to do with it.Inking them will make them freeze a lot better.

mbacher12

Feb 6, 2012
Bellingham, WA
Name
Mark
Boat
none
ive been wanting to do this forever but had no idea where to go. only problem is i dont have a boat. you think you could catch them off any of the piers? if so which ones?

Clockwork

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Nice change of pace report! I hit the dock at redondo 3 nights last week and did well. Best squid year i can recall but really just got into it serious last year.

Thought about using the boat but once that ink dries doesnt it stain?

I ate this for 5 days straight.
1010151903.jpg

Kamehameha

Sep 13, 2014
Seattle
Name
Van
Boat
Duckworth 26 Offshore
So what is your plan with them....calamari or hali bait? If you eat them what is the best way to prepare/cook them....dredge in egg/flour then deep-fry????? Nice haul.....
I use them mostly for personal consumption and not for bait. We steam them, fry, stirfry, and make squid ink pasta. I run out of things to do with it.

Kamehameha

Sep 13, 2014
Seattle
Name
Van
Boat
Duckworth 26 Offshore
Nice change of pace report! I hit the dock at redondo 3 nights last week and did well. Best squid year i can recall but really just got into it serious last year.

Thought about using the boat but once that ink dries doesnt it stain?

I ate this for 5 days straight.
View attachment 631294
I have a piece of shit boat so I don't care if it stains. If you wash it the day of then it'll come off but leave it overnight and it might stain.

We just went again today with 7 people on that boat and limit with 70lbs in 3 hours.

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
I have a piece of shit boat so I don't care if it stains. If you wash it the day of then it'll come off but leave it overnight and it might stain.

We just went again today with 7 people on that boat and limit with 70lbs in 3 hours.
I took a full blast from an angry Humbolt a few years back when they made their way up here. Got eveything but my hat! Eveything washed out. Mmmm salty!

Reactions: Kamehameha

Kamehameha

Sep 13, 2014
Seattle
Name
Van
Boat
Duckworth 26 Offshore
ive been wanting to do this forever but had no idea where to go. only problem is i dont have a boat. you think you could catch them off any of the piers? if so which ones?
The fishing pier at alki where the water taxi goes to is really hot and same as the pier right next to the Ferris wheel in downtown Seattle. Redondo pier next to salty is always pack with squidders.

bigdood

Apr 5, 2010
PNW
www.poormansheli.com
Name
Justin
Boat
Nauti Dawg
Nice haul! We had fun catching squid this past summer in Tacoma, very few things as good as fresh caught calamari. Would love a combo platter like Clockwork posted!

TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
Jun 5, 2012
Island
Name
Tuck
Boat
Carolina Dory
Looks like a good excuse to add lights to my skiff and get out there. Alki is within reach of my skiff. I don't even have NAV lights yet. I want me some squid

iddooer

Sep 21, 2010
Seattle
Name
Lee
Boat
22' ThunderJet Outboard offshore
Well We tried it as well last evening and saw Kamehameha Mr. Ho out there as well. Those boys have it going on. They were were even nice enough to let us get close to their boat because our lights were not bright enough. This was my fist time ever going after squid so thier help was much appreciated. Thanks again. It was nice meeting all of you. Im going to make some changes to the lighting and then give it another shot either tonight or tomorrow. THnaks again Jimmy, Ill be trying some of those squid after work today. Lee

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
You don't have to fish them at night.Down here they snag just fine in the day time.
Just look for a concentration of birds with no pelicans.Pelicans don't eat squid.If you find the birds without them odds are you found the squid.
This is what we use down here.
Ahi USA Squid Catcher

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
Jul 23, 2014
Renton WA
Name
Jason Champion
Boat
GW 272 sailfish
You don't have to fish them at night.Down here they snag just fine in the day time.
Just look for a concentration of birds with no pelicans.Pelicans don't eat squid.If you find the birds without them odds are you found the squid.
This is what we use down here.
Ahi USA Squid Catcher
That's funny I just ordered two of those a couple hours ago. I'll be going at night. Do these jigs glow. Have you ever used a flash to charge them up.

wood2turn

Aug 17, 2009
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Terry
Boat
14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
Man that is a lot of Calmari!!

I have read and read about this for the last 30+years yet never tried it.
...and I love Calmari too!

Problem is I can't find anyone around Oak Harbor that seems to know the Where, When, and How too's in my area.
(Which is one of the reasons I have never bought the underwater lighting for doing this yet).

Anyone that knows about doing this in the N. Whidbey area PLEASE give me a call, or shoot me a pm or something!
Let's get together and do this!!

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
That's funny I just ordered two of those a couple hours ago. I'll be going at night. Do these jigs glow. Have you ever used a flash to charge them up.
Yes they glow.When there snagging good I can chug my 32 gal tank in less then an hour.I don't bother going at night we go before sunup and catch them in the gray for bait.
Everything eats them and they stay alive a lot better then finbait.Fish will get stupid over squid.
Take a tank out alby fishing and you'll see.They will chew 50# no problem if you have the squid so will the normally finicky Bluefin.
I'll take a tank of squid over chovies or dines everytime.Best thing squid is free once you figure it out.

Reactions: Titan and Stair Guy