Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
I used a SQL16VS for one of my dropper loop rigs on a 10 dayer. Loved it. Looking at another 1 or 2 more reels for the same job. Cant have too many backups. Price wise they are close together. The SQL weights more. The FTH is metal. Which do yawl recommend and why for dropper looping?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
In general when there is a choice, I like metal reels over graphite reels.
The 2-speed Squalls are designed primarily to be like graphite Internationals, for folks who are not using line 4 or 5 classes over the reel's original designation.
Even at that, the Squall would be fine as a 50-pound reel for East Cape-style trolling and such, but we have all of our FTH60LD2 PFU setups with 80-pound topshots, and use them as non-cow trollers, quickly converted to dropper-looping when needed.

*don't know how I missed seeing this one.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
ok. so unless you over load a 2 speed squall with line sizes over its rated specs, it will do great as a drooper loop rig? I used a top shot of 60# mono and had a blast catching yellow tails on a SQL16.

then the decision is between metal or graphite frames? No? Yes? for drooper looping?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
ok. so unless you over load a 2 speed squall with line sizes over its rated specs, it will do great as a drooper loop rig? I used a top shot of 60# mono and had a blast catching yellow tails on a SQL16.

then the decision is between metal or graphite frames? No? Yes? for drooper looping?

If you are asking for my recommendation, it is for the metal reel once you go above 50 pound test.

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Having a hard time finding physical sizes of these 2 reels on the net. Are they about the same size or no?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hard to be properly descriptive, but will try.
The Squall is essentially the same configuration as an International 16VS, possibly even a little beefier.
The Fathom is a "wide 4/0", like an old-school 113HLW.
The Fathom is also 11 ounces lighter than the Squall, but still holds a slight amount more line.

mboy

Dec 11, 2007
NJ
Name
Mike
Boat
21 CC
I have both and would def use the 60ld 2. I even use it for trolling as its much lighter for mahi etc down in Florida