SQ tackle recommendations

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by hawkplayer32, Jan 28, 2018.

1. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    Hey Guys,

Heading to SQ with my 18' bayrunner for presidents day weekend. I'd like to target halibut, yellowtail and those juvenile broomtail. I think I have the YT gear pinned down, but what are your recommendations for tackle and location for halibut and broomtail? FYI I also plan to fish the surf.

A penny for your thoughts. Thanks.

Tony

2. fullclip

fullclip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeremy
    Boat:
    Mushroom 26 prosport
    I use a 3 way swivel with a heavy sinker on one end and live mackerel or sardines on the other end. I like to add a stinger hook. I drift around the entrance to the bay for the halibut. Try and drift around the rocks. There are black sea bass in that area you might catch trying for halibut. Some like to bounce swim baits off the bottom. I have hooked up on the sabiki while trying to make bait drifting for halibut in the mouth of the bay.

hawkplayer32 likes this.
  3. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    I’d ask Juan all times of year can be different and he will no what’s going on right now and all what Jeremy said will be helpful also

4. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I fish there a lot because we have had a place there for about 20 years. Yellowtail will be best on yo yo jigs through March (white, Blue/white, green/yellow). Look at the 240 and the north end of the 15 this time of year. Sometimes they pop up and you can get them on surface iron but for the most part they will be suspended or near the bottom.

Halibut are hit and miss this time of the year with May/June being the best when the water is warming. We target them inside the bay on the west side just after you make that last sweeping turn to the left and just before you leave the bay. (There is a buoy line there with a floating platform with a shack on it where an old guy lives.) We catch them on swimbaits worked on the bottom and sometimes small live macs.

We see them catching the juvenile grouper inside the bay off the courtesy dock where you launch your boat and north toward Don Eddies in the summertime. Since it is a relatively newly discovered fishery, we do not know much about catching them in the cold water in the winter.

Good luck and don't forget, reds are king down there this time of year.

hawkplayer32 likes this.
  5. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Perhaps someone should put up some signs around the launch ramp and dock suggesting catch and release the small grouper.

luckyfisher7 and bahacoyotemike like this.
  6. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    im sure the mexican goverment will be right on that. lol

hawkplayer32 likes this.
  7. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Government not likely, after all Mexico city is a long way away. BUT........the local Mexican sportfishing captains would have a huge stake in this new dynamic fishery. Printing and putting up a half dozen signs couldn't cost that much.

Back in the 1970's, as late as the mid 80's, San Martin island had a substantial population of large grouper til word got out and they were either shot or caught and that was it. In recent times, no doubt some groupers hitched a ride from down south on a recent El Nino and ended up in SQ bay. Now here's a second chance.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  8. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Not a chance. It is generally families with a bucket of bait looking to catch something for a meal. They are very stoked when you come in and give them a red when you jump onto the dock to retrieve your boat.

Susana and Leslie. Christensen like this.
  9. joezee1986

joezee1986 Baja Bound Salt Junkies

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
    Unless your familiar with the channel I'd suggest hiring a guide for your first outing. Seen plenty guys familiarize themselves with the sand bars real quick.

10. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    They were pretty much active a couple weeks ago off the rocks at Don Eddie's.

20180118_085607.jpg

joezee1986 and hawkplayer32 like this.
  11. greenscales

greenscales Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    Pro Angler 14
    Definitely reach out to Juan for current bite, if he is available, hire him for your first time there. But don’t forget shallow water RFs and WSB. I usually drive down the coast a little further with my kayak and always have a Lucanus or Single Hook Iron w/red or Glow and consistently nail big Vermillions w/the occasional Ling or jumbo Sheepshead thrown in when I can get down through flurries of Bonita and resident Calicos. 65-80 Spectra w/40-80 fluoro - depending on depth and structure I am in, rod/reel depends on action needed for the lure. I think the WSB aren’t as active now, but slow troll/drift crocodile w/a mackerel pinned on seems to be the ticket down there. El Socorro area is great if you beat the Gill Netters to the Ghosts.
    I just came back from 3 weeks in Baja Sur and bypassed the area because of swell and wind issues. But plan to head back down to SQ /El Rosario area for a freezer filler trip if the weather allows. Wish I could go now w/the weather right now.

12. joezee1986

joezee1986 Baja Bound Salt Junkies

Name:
    Joseph Zaragoza
    Boat:
    Last Cast Ensenada / Mag Bay Lodge
    How dare you trek Baja without me Steve I thought we talked about this lol

Bottom Line likes this.