Freshwater Spring Chinook in the Boat!!!

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
After talking with Bubba yesterday, my plans totally changed. Derrick and Johnny arrived right on time this morning and I decided to take 'em to Kalama instead of trying Cathlamet again. We were on the water while it was still dark and got the rods rigged for trolling herring... and, once again, I couldn't get Steve's kicker motor started. I think it has something personal against me...

So we trolled with the electric motor and we hooked one nice fish, Johnny grabbed the rod and I tried to get my video recorder going on my phone, but the fish shook the hooks out.

By 1:00 pm the electric motor was done and I still couldn't get Steve's motor started. But we were seeing fish hooked and didn't want to quit, so I ran into town and got some starter fluid from the auto store. And to my amazement, it worked!!!! (just like Steve told me it would... over and over again...) We were back in business!!!

Now I had been lecturing Derrick and Johnny all morning about how when you see a bite, DON'T TOUCH THE ROD!!! Leave it in the rod holder, no matter how much it's bouncing around! Don't touch it until the fish really takes the herring, hooks themself, and doubles the pole over! So what do I do??? You guessed it... I got a great hit on my rod and it was bouncing all over the place... so I grabbed it out of the rod holder.... I successfully yanked the herring away from that hungry chunk of chrome! All I could do was look at 'em and say, "Boys... that's how NOT to do it!"

Fortunately a few minutes later, I got an opportunity to redeem myself... and this time I waited. Johnny filmed while I fought the beast, and Derrick did an expert job of netting the first fish in the new boat... a 16 lb Spring Chinook. The fish measured 34" long and 20" around.

We ended up landing the one fish out of three on and had a great time on the water!

Thanks again Derrick and Johnny for joining me for this adventure today! It was great meeting you both and I hope we can fish together again soon!

YouTube - Kalama Spring Chinook

YouTube - First Fish Christening

Attachments

• DSC_1765.jpg
    DSC_1765.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
We were fishing drop weights 1 to 3 cranks off the bottom in 15' to 30' of water.

Upvote 0

tinmanxx

Jun 6, 2009
McCleary, WA
Name
Mark
Boat
7 Meter Donzi / Thunder Rat
Nice fish, it will eat good. We picked up 2 today at Cathlamet. Nothing big the largest just over 13 lbs. It should be better next weekend.

Upvote 0

Glad Wrap

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
Nicefish and great report....Hope to be doing the same next weekend.

Upvote 0

KillerBeee

Salt Water Aficionado
Jan 26, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Name
Dave
Boat
18.5 Tiderunner KillerBeee
Good feeling to get the monkey off your back eh? Nice work.

Upvote 0