mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    After not being able to fish for the last 8 months due to problems with my feet, I finally felt good enough to put together a day trip with my son Sean and friend Don Elm. We didn’t have high expectations due to the storm on Monday, but we were thankful to be heading out on the water for a day!

Launching from Huntington Harbor Wednesday morning, we picked up a scoop of cured 5 to 6 inch sardines from Mario at LA Harbor Bait and pointed the bow toward the Horseshoe Kelp. A big 6-foot+ swell out of the west had us run inside the break wall to Angels Gate where it became much easier to head outside to our spots.

On our first drift, we each released identical 13.5 inch sand bass, nice way to start the day. That bite died quickly, so I set up a drift over a rise that has been lucky for us in the past. Sean’s first bait barely hits the bottom and gets slammed, going bendo with what we all know is a better fish. I’m a bit surprised when he calls for the gaff saying it’s a nice halibut. 9 pounds of tasty flattie hit the deck to high fives all around. Not a huge fish, but everyone is stoked to the gills.

A couple more drifts over that area produced a big bite and run for me that didn’t stick, but that was it. I released a decent sculpin on another spot, but it was clear the bite was over. We tried a last gasp effort at the Sunset Beach water tower, but it was getting blown out rapidly and we called it a day.

Water temps were 57.4 to 59.2 and fairly clear at the 'Shoe.

Stay safe out there! Mike

Sean with his 9 pound halibut, caught during spring break!
    SeanHalibut9a.jpg

Last edited:

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Welcome back Mike!

Missed your reports my friend.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    After not being able to fish for the last 8 months due to problems with my feet, I finally felt good enough to put together a day trip with my son Sean and friend Don Elm. We didn’t have high expectations due to the storm on Monday, but we were thankful to be heading out on the water for a day!

Launching from Huntington Harbor Wednesday morning, we picked up a scoop of cured 5 to 6 inch sardines from Mario at LA Harbor Bait and pointed the bow toward the Horseshoe Kelp. A big 6-foot+ swell out of the west had us run inside the break wall to Angels Gate where it became much easier to head outside to our spots.

On our first drift, we each released identical 13.5 inch sand bass, nice way to start the day. That bite died quickly, so I set up a drift over a rise that has been lucky for us in the past. Sean’s first bait barely hits the bottom and gets slammed, going bendo with what we all know is a better fish. I’m a bit surprised when he calls for the gaff saying it’s a nice halibut. 9 pounds of tasty flattie hit the deck to high fives all around. Not a huge fish, but everyone is stoked to the gills.

A couple more drifts over that area produced a big bite and run for me that didn’t stick, but that was it. I released a decent sculpin on another spot, but it was clear the bite was over. We tried a last gasp effort at the Sunset Beach water tower, but it was getting blown out rapidly and we called it a day.

Water temps were 57.4 to 59.2 and fairly clear at the 'Shoe.

Stay safe out there! Mike

Sean with his 9 pound halibut, caught during spring break!
    View attachment 1367966
    Nice. Glad to see you are back on the water. Always enjoy your father son posts.

Upvote 0