Spreader bar

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Has anyone had any luck trolling the spreader bars for catching blue fin. I’m thinking about getting a pair. Any particular colors? 19” or 36” … ??
Here is my current spread. Tried a few things over the past year.

Outrigger Port - 18" tracker multi color (pink)
Outrigger Starboard - 18" tracker multi color (blue/green)
Inside Port - 36" noise maker multi color (purple)
Inside Starboard - 36" noise make multi color (white/silver)
Flatline Port - Purple or blue green cedar plug daisy chain (time of day)
Flatline Starboard - Bubbler, diver feather or feather chain

I run a W spread with the flatlines on the way, way back. Spread starts 30-40' behind the boat for BFT.

On a 20' CC with no top.

W
woodfish330
Grasshopper.... I see your "sensi" would be proud!! Takes a while to get it just right.... but maaan ... I bet it looks beautiful as it is deadly!! Good for you 👍..
Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    Here is my current spread. Tried a few things over the past year.

Outrigger Port - 18" tracker multi color (pink)
    Outrigger Starboard - 18" tracker multi color (blue/green)
    Inside Port - 36" noise maker multi color (purple)
    Inside Starboard - 36" noise make multi color (white/silver)
    Flatline Port - Purple or blue green cedar plug daisy chain (time of day)
    Flatline Starboard - Bubbler, diver feather or feather chain

I run a W spread with the flatlines on the way, way back. Spread starts 30-40' behind the boat for BFT.

On a 20' CC with no top.
    I have a 21’ tidewater c.c…. Have you had any luck catching blue fin with that set up?. Thanks for your info 🙏

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    I'm not going to give away everything, but a lot of species have met the cold of my freezers with this technique. I am still tweaking but learning a ton.

You have to read a ton of things. Think like a marlin fisherman, not like a run and gun tuna guy. Temp break. Sun on the water and silhouette of jigs. Current movement and direction of fish. Presence of bait before strikes.

Get some outriggers and try marlin fishing and things will start to fall into place if you look for patterns.

Reactions: woodfish330

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    I have a 21’ tidewater c.c…. Have you had any luck catching blue fin with that set up?. Thanks for your info 🙏
    One more thing. For the trackers, they are side specific. I rig the night before a trip. To make life more simple, I've spun my trolling rods to match the side of the boat. Red or green. Port or starboard. When deploying a spread solo it makes life easier.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    I'm not going to give away everything, but a lot of species have met the cold of my freezers with this technique. I am still tweaking but learning a ton.

You have to read a ton of things. Think like a marlin fisherman, not like a run and gun tuna guy. Temp break. Sun on the water and silhouette of jigs. Current movement and direction of fish. Presence of bait before strikes.

Get some outriggers and try marlin fishing and things will start to fall into place if you look for patterns.
    Thanks appreciate all your info… I guess I have a lot of reading and videos to watch.👏🏻👍🏻

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Go to Hogan's Tackle and buy one of their spreader bars. Be prepared to spend just under $300.
    I'm all for supporting, but if you look on the east coast you will find them much more cost effective. Also, some of the ones I've seen out here (and purchased a few years ago from a local tackle shop when I started playing with this) have big rigid bars. You want bars that flex.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    I'm all for supporting, but if you look on the east coast you will find them much more cost effective. Also, some of the ones I've seen out here (and purchased a few years ago from a local tackle shop when I started playing with this) have big rigid bars. You want bars that flex.
    All I’ve been reading says that you want the stiffer poles,not the fiberglass poles because they are too whipy?

Upvote 0

Bubsalsa

Almost A Member
    Nov 11, 2014
    La Jolla, Ca
    Name
    Bubsalsa
    Boat
    18' Boston Whaler Outrage
    Open up your wallet, and get ready for a loooooooong day of trolling. I've had better luck with cedar plug daisy chains way back even when I have tried one. My dad had a few and they are more trouble than what its worth especially when there's foamers everywhere and you have to wind it in.

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    I am making them here locally. 24, 36, 42, and 48 bars. They work. 4 birds, 14x
    9 or 12 inch Squid, or smaller 6 or 4.5 inch on a 24 inch bar. Jinkai components, Stinger, 12/0 or 8/0 7691, and a bag.
    PM if you want a couple.
    01D57A06-1BAB-47A3-85DD-C2DCAE8DB3C1.jpeg
    48925B32-4CDA-4C91-A7D7-0516DF8AAC45.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jeff Hannah

pascuale

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Ethan
    Boat
    3rd world country panga fleet
    You dont want too stiff and you want Titanium bars. The bars pulsate in the water and are lighter than stainless. We troll
    Much further back than the east coast guys and the bars need to sit up high to prevent drag. So the use of titanium and floats is a must. Swing wide around foamers with the bar a couple hundred or more yards back. Drag thru the side of the foamers. Its a good tool to have. On a small boat Id do two 24 inch bars or a 24 and 36. Then your daisy chains a short on the inside.

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Our first trip we pulled a 36 in bar back around a 100 yds and 2 chains about 50 yds.Caught a 70lb fish on the chain.Learning.Tom

Upvote 0