Spotted Bay Bass Fishery in SQ Bay?

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by surf launch, Jan 26, 2018.

1. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Been fishing out of San Quintin for quite some time and have caught plenty of halibut and sand bass back in the bay but never a spotted bay bass. Of course there must be some in there but I always figured because the water is usually so cold much of the year, there couldn't much of a fishery.........perhaps I'm wrong. I heard a rumor that many years ago, professional bay bass guide Mike Gardner did an exploratory trip here and caught some bay bass but over-all the fishing for the spotties was poor. Interestingly though, the hand full that were caught ended up being quite large. Any insight about this topic would be appreciated.

crabdancer likes this.
  2. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I have had a place there for 25 years and yes, you would expect the fishery to be better. We catch plenty of small ones fishing for macs but nothing very large. Interesting observation we saw a few years ago. They discovered shrimp in the bay and every boat that could drag a net was doing so. All the by catch we saw them get were all immature fish, all 3 species of bass, halibut, perch etc. It sure looked to me that SQ Bay is a nursery more than anything.

3. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    I sure hope they're no longer dragging the bay.......very destructive practice.

karlk1125 likes this.
  4. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    This is a really interesting question. I haven't targeted spotties in San Quintin but I have fished some other pocket populations in naturally formed estuaries. The lack of fishing pressure didn't necessarily mean good fishing.

The fish did look and act different from the ones I've caught in developed bays and harbors. They were more oriented toward bait than structure and they were much lighter in color.

I would go as far to say that channel dredging, dock construction, and quarry rock seawalls in developed areas compliment natural structure like shell beds and eel grass to actually improve bay bass fishing. That and separating major harbors from historic river deltas (not the case in SQ) probably keeps fry from leaving the harbor on big tides or runoff events. They are broadcast spawners after all.

Here are a few shots of bass from different habitats:

Natural estuary, no development, fish was coughing up smelt. It was very light in color and seemed like it was 'old' for its size. Could be a lack of year round prey or stiff competition for territory.

IMG_2663.JPG

Downtown Long Beach rip rap fish eating shore crabs. This one was like lipping a green bass, I'm guessing its teeth were worn down from a winter time crustacean diet.

IMG_2211.JPG

And a hand shot for scale. Just to be fair to the fish.

IMG_2847.JPG

5. luckyfisher7

luckyfisher7 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    18 whaler "Nishimaru"
    I tried fishing in the estuary a few months ago on the way in from fishing outside the bay. We caught a surprising number of juvenile broomtail grouper, a bunch of small sand bass, and no spotted bay bass. You could probably post some good numbers of groupers if you spent the day doing it.

6. surf launch

surf launch Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Estero bay (Ensenada) has a good spotted bass fishery, although contingent upon how hard its been hit by gill netting any particular year. Several decades ago, it was incredible spottie fishing until the floods of the late 1970's silted in half the estuary. The water temp from Ensenada north it quite a bit warmer than the San Quintin area and I think that may play some part in keeping the spotted bay bass from really thriving there, just a hunch I have.

crabdancer likes this.
  7. El Hefe

El Hefe Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Sterr
    Boat:
    22' Amato Panga
    as stated above most of the Grouper are juvenile
    we have been strictly catch and release on these guys
    hope to create a solid fishery in a couple of years on the bigger models.
    as far as spotties I caught a nice one last month on the jetty in front of my house
    in SQ but I think it was a hybrid crossed with a sand bass
    I will look for the photo and post it.
    tons of 8 - 10 inch sandys in front.

surf launch likes this.
  8. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Never caught a spottie in SQ. Was with Juan once when he caught a nice King Salmon (that sucker was way lost). Caught some of the Broomtails. I hope they get established. Didn't know they were there and I wonder how long they have been there.

9. scoop

scoop 100 Ton Captain

Name:
    Copper
    Boat:
    Mako 184cc
    I dont think that dredging is good for any fishery. There are tons of great spotty fisheries in Baja on both sides where there is no dredging...and I mean crazy good. SD Bay used to be spectacular before they dredged the channel 20 years ago and it really has never come back. Sure, it is still an amazing fishery...but nothing like it was 20+ years ago. There are a few deeper channels 3/4 of the way out of SQ Bay that have some good spotty fishing. However, with all the other much better fisheries there...I never target that area.

crabdancer, surf launch and makairaa like this.
  10. crabdancer

crabdancer Kook

Name:
    Shannon
    Boat:
    Edgewater
    I agree with what you're saying about regular dredging projects.

I was comparing the pre-development conditions of the wetland areas that were turned into harbors and ports. They were large expanses of 1-10' deep water at mean. Great waterfowl habitat and fish nurseries but limited in the capacity of year round resident fish. I've done well in those types of areas but not the quality and quantity I'd expected.

scoop, surf launch and SouthBayKiller like this.