So Cal Adventure

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2016
OC
Name
RB
Boat
42 ft Bertram
I am looking to go out on a sporty this week and have heard that many of the boats are mostly anchoring on the high spot S of Clemente. I am worried about booking passage on a boat that doesnt do that because I have found that you can drift out of the zone for an hour or more while 1 guy tries to boat a big fish on light line (while the clock ticks away...) And so goes the day...

Is that why many of the sportboats are anchoring? Whats the story? This surely keeps the other fishermen in the zone, right? I'm Interested to hear some opinions.

Reactions: jeremyv75

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
I get the general impression the sportboats drifting have been able to keep at least a plunker bite going with chum...just keep fishing. On anchor, there is less room across the stern than the entire port or starboard rail ;)Downsides to both, I guess...limited load would help a bunch...

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
If you have a 42 foot Bertram and count the difference in dollars spent versus the big tuna experience of a lifetime (either on your boat or on a sportboat) you better sell that boat soon. You should be out there 2-3 days a week right now to get one while they are here if you can afford to slip and maintain that boat. Not trying to hammer on you but that is the reality of this bite. Find some good HO's and get out here ASAP.

Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope
If you have a 42 foot Bertram and count the difference in dollars spent versus the big tuna experience of a lifetime (either on your boat or on a sportboat) you better sell that boat soon. You should be out there 2-3 days a week right now to get one while they are here if you can afford to slip and maintain that boat. Not trying to hammer on you but that is the reality of this bite. Find some good HO's and get out here ASAP.
X2

Reactions: hilltop
Aug 4, 2008
Mission Bay,CA
Name
matt
Boat
38' topaz express "TAILCHASER"
The bigger question is if you have a 42 ft Bertram why haven't you and your buddies gone down there for a multi day trip. Diesel $2.00 a gallon split 4-6 ways is a no brainer
2.00 $$ a gallon. Can you please give me coordinants to that please. My boat holds 500 and that price would be really nice!!!

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I was out on a 2 day trip last Thursday and Friday. We fished the area just south of San Clemente. We were drift fishing like most of the other sportboats. Fishing was very tough. We got a couple of nice ones on the kite and about 6 or 7 hookups on bait but most of the bait fish were lost. The fish were very line shy. If you fished 60 or 80 it was very hard to get bit. If you fished 30 or 40 you could get bit but very tough to land the bigger fish. If I had my own boat I would be out there flying a kite. Also on a private boat you have the ability to chase the fish down if you hook one on lighter line.

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Well I'm paying $2.30 a gallon for diesel at the pump for my truck, its gotta be less at Jankovich for bulk

sixty

Jul 12, 2005
Vegas & Ensenada
Name
Corey
Boat
Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
Heard San Pedro fuel dock was well under $2..... if I had a 42 Bert i would be out there for the next week. Im in if you need a deck hand!

Reactions: KID CREOLE

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
these boats still want to catch as many fish as possible. if the drift bite is better, then trust the captain. if the anchor bite is better, then trust the captain. they make money catching multiple fish