Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
I dropped off a big hali with them a couple weeks ago and am really happy with it.
Ice the hell out of your fish before dropping it off so that the fish is cold.

Reactions: sierraazuel

lucky 100

"Swordfish Searcher"
Aug 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Captain O
Boat
Reel Caliente
The restaurant side needs management improvement !

I use to recommend and go there for the Sea Food Combo Platter.
Last trip after leaving and driving from the Point Loma area and we have lots of "Sea Food Resturants" in the area.

Order combo platter and No Clams, No Squid, No Napkins WT !!
I change order to Fish and Chips with Side of Shrimp, 2 Pieces of Shrimp and cost me more than the original order ???

I asked is that it and got sorry but yes !!

I was told sorry we haven't ordered supplies in a while ??????
I would not recommend for my passengers or tourist to go back again.
For fish cleaning maybe but its a shame to have a prime restaurant location and not show any customer service !!

Dave_G

Aug 10, 2015
Southern California
Name
Dave
Boat
Bayliner 2302
I just used Sportsman's Seafood to process my catch from a 5 day trip aboard the Spirit of Adventure. I have used them for many years but was kind of nervous this year because Mario is no longer there. I decided to stay with them and was not disappointed. The service was great and the fillets and vacuum packing done exactly as I had instructed. I will definitely use them again in the future.

brn2fis

Jul 6, 2005
Glendale
Name
Richard Jenkins
Boat
none
Picked up my fish same day service in February 2016 after my 14 day trip on the AA. Beautiful filet and packaging. Did not have to wait long. Been doing business with them since the early 90ty's

Reactions: sierraazuel

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
We have used Mario's for a long time now...never any complaints, they are awesome, love the smoked fish too..

Reactions: arkansastuna

UCT

Jul 14, 2013
Orange County, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
just coastin
Had my fish processed there recently after Excel trip. Never again. Some fillet still had parts of skin, bags smell strongly of fish (inside and out). None of the fish is sushi grade anymore.

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Have pics?
Been dropping bluefin there all season and it has always been perfect. Smelling a bag that fish has been in usually results in fish smell?
Been eating sashimi all season from their processing.

Had my fish processed there recently after Excel trip. Never again. Some fillet still had parts of skin, bags smell strongly of fish (inside and out). None of the fish is sushi grade anymore.

Marcus

"Oddjob"
May 21, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Marcus
Boat
Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
Love Mario's. Just picked up some of our BFT the other day. Great fillets and the bags were perfect. I've been using them for years and they have always done us right.

Last year on our memorial charter we called and the girls in the restaurant waited for us to come in so we could drop off after hours. We did kick them a nice tip for the help.

I'd recommend them.

Northeastfshman

Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Wow shocked you have a complaint about Sportsman. I've never had an issue and I'm OCD about my fish.

I always refused to use a processor for fish because I was disappointed the first few times I tried it vs doing it myself. Someone pointed me to Sportsman and it was so much better than the other places I'd tried. It's so convenient and easy and the quality has always been there for me. I decided to have my big bluefin done there vs doing it myself last week and was ecstatic with the results.

UCT

Jul 14, 2013
Orange County, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
just coastin
Here's a pic. I used Fisherman's Processing in the past, but decided to give Mario a try because of recommendation and Rosie's leaving. This fish has a strong odor. Smells like tuna from a can and leaves a strong odor on my hands. The outside of the bag shouldn't smell like fish, let along the fish itself.
mario.1.jpg

Have pics?
Been dropping bluefin there all season and it has always been perfect. Smelling a bag that fish has been in usually results in fish smell?
Been eating sashimi all season from their processing.

Reactions: Ono Wrangler

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
Rosie Flowers is leaving? She always did a great job for me.

Reactions: Ono Wrangler

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I just like that they are more willing to deal with the private boater and short range boat fisherman's issues than 5 star or Fishermans are. Couldn't even get 5 star to pick up fish from a 2 day charter trip I had (told them there would be 10 people minimum that would want to process) and fishermans turned us away this weekend because we were private boaters and they didn't have the space for us. I've used all three services in the past and all 3 had excellent quality product, but Sportsmans service has been the best so far in my personal experience.

UCT

Jul 14, 2013
Orange County, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
just coastin
I was hoping to see a bunch of skin. Did you wash those fillets with fresh water by any chance?
No fresh water wash. I always open bag, wrap with paper towel to soak up the blood initially, then re-wrap with fresh paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour changing paper towel once or twice before preparing for sushi or cooking. Didn't take picture of skin, but was about size of dime on 3 or 4 pieces.

Marcus

"Oddjob"
May 21, 2004
Carlsbad
Name
Marcus
Boat
Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
The outside of the bags smelling like fish happens. They're in a processing facility. The ones I picked up the other day smelled like fish as well. I washed the bags off prior to putting them in the fridge and they didn't smell after that.

Not saying it's you but those fillets look wrong. The bloodline looks brown and the pieces look hacked up like what a deckhand would do. I've never had my fish from Marios look like yours does. Usually the bloodline is gone (unless I ask them for skin on) and the cuts are always super clean.

In your picture is that tuna, YT or dodos?

Klamath17

Aug 8, 2011
Inland Empire
Name
Steve
Boat
Anything that floats
Those are YT. Some of the other fillets are worse and have a substantial portion of bloodline in the fillet.
Those look pretty bad! Maybe it was late, or a new guy, or something, but it should never be that way from any good processing operation. I've had the same thing happen, but long ago.

FWIW, after trying the others in the past, I've never been disappointed with Fisherman's Processing. But is Rosie really leaving?

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I've had good experiences with both Fishermen's and Sportsmen's. I've been using Sportsmen's since I was about 18 years old and will continue to do so.

They are awesome about meeting us at strange hours to drop off or pick up. Whenever we have more than a couple fish we take them in and they do a killer job.

Hard to say what happened to your fish. It doesn't take much to make Yellowtail go funky. Sorry it happened to you.