Sportsmen's Seafood aka Mario's Fish Processing still in business

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Jason, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    With the passing of our buddy Mario Ghio there was lots of questions as to what was going to happen with Sportsman's Seafood and World Famous Tuna Jerky.
    I took a trip down to Sportsman's to see what was going on as many of the BD members were all wondering.

Joe, Joanne, Manny and Alphonso are all still there.

Pricing is now locked down for both sport boats and private boaters. It used to float around with a difference between the two.
    Basic whole smoking $1.25 per lb.
    Tuna Jerky $2.00 per lb.
    Basic filleting, packaging, or cold storage at only $.75 per lb.

So other than our buddy being gone, a major clean up of the facility, price lockdown, new waiting room and a new dock coming - Nothing has changed. Still a great service with the good people that make up Sportsman's Seafood - Mario's Fish Processing - World Famous Tuna Jerky
    http://sportsmensseafood.com/portfolios/fish-processing/

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Thanks for that Jason

fishe likes this.
  3. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    That's awesome!
    I always thought that being to be able to pull up to the dock and unload fish for processing was a brilliant idea. For guys like me that come from out of town for a few days and have nowhere to store fish while we're there, this will be great. The bridge at Fisherman's is to low for my boat to even consider it but at Mario's no problem.
    Nice to hear they're buffin' the place out.

I'M OFF likes this.
  4. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    One of the best things about a processor is being able to pull up and offload. Once all the fish is off the boat it's way easier to clean up. By the time the boat is clean and everything put away the fish is ready for pickup.
    We usually get half of it frozen and half fresh. Their frozen is rock hard and lasts a long time.

When bringing fish in by private boat just call the shop and they will meet you at the dock with a cart or can. For sport boats lining it up before the trip is the way to go.

5. Panchovilla

Panchovilla Pancho

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Pancho Villa

6. Panchovilla

Panchovilla Pancho

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    Pancho Villa
    At first I was just dealing with Mario for many many years.....everything wonderful
    Then Mario with Ryan........................................................everything wonderful
    Now Ryan........................................................................everything wonderful
    I have every confidence that Ryan will continue to do a wonderful job

7. Johnlgarrison

Johnlgarrison The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.

Name:
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Is there a place to pull up with your boat on the trailer to pick up your fish? I have not been to this location yet.

It would be awesome if they had a spot where you could rinse off your private boat. Here is the perfect scenario for a private boater. Pull up to the dock and drop off the fish. Head back to the launching ramp and put the boat on the trailer. Then head over to the processing place. While one guy goes in and pays and picks up the fish. The rest of the crew rinces off the boat. The idea of heading home with cleaned fish and boat would get my business.

8. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I went down there yesterday to pick up my fish from a recent 3 day trip and everything was great! They continued to do a great job with my fish and the customer service was fantastic as usual. I will miss Mario's infectious smile greeting at the dock but I will continue to use Sportsman Seafood for all my fileting and smoking needs, including my upcoming all 10 day on the Excel!

9. Weazel

Weazel Captain

Name:
    Zach
    Boat:
    skipjack
    Glad to hear the place is still going strong.
    I'll be stopping by there this year for sure. It's really nice to drop off the fish and then go deal with the boat. Plus, the quality is top notch and keeps my kitchen at home clean.
    I've got little ones and don't have the time to process everything so it helps big time.

Bigfishhateme and sierraazuel like this.
  10. rza007

rza007 Iron Sheik

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    Goldmine of a location. I hope them make improvements on the restaurant side. Best of luck to them.

Bigfishhateme and sierraazuel like this.
  11. Jason

Name:
    Jason
    There is a long curb that you can pull up to right outside the back door to drop fish. There is no where to wash a boat at their location. The city probably wouldn't let them do it anyway due to being so close to the water...
    You can pull up to their dock right now and offload. The dock is just old and tired (no bare feet!).
    Most of the season we bring it in with a kill bag and they offload right from the kill bag in the truck in to cans at their back door. We pick it up a couple days later.

One_Leg likes this.
  12. hookuphoo

hookuphoo Newbie

Name:
    Mark Winbigler
    Boat:
    25' Parker Sea Rover
    Talked to Ryan at the landing Tues. when I picked up Wayne from his 18 day and went to the shop after to pick up some
    fish from an a trip in Nov. They are doing a lot of work cleaning up the shop. Ryan has some big shoes to fill but is off to a good start.
    Been doing biz with Mario since the early 80's (started on the Polaris Deluxe), hope to be doing biz Ryan for another 30 years.

Sea ya,
    Mark

arkansastuna likes this.
  13. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I miss that guy.

arkansastuna likes this.
  14. sierraazuel

sierraazuel Saving World From Skynet

Name:
    Drew P. Balls
    Boat:
    Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper
    X 2 on that...

15. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Super stoked to have these guys around. It's so nice to pull up and unload right on the dock. We keep our boat in sd bay and its still worth the trip north a bit to not have to move 30 tunas around from boat to truck to processor.

I'll always miss Mario but his legacy is in good hands.

16. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Any chance they will offer night pick-up at Seaforth? Be nice when on a 3/4 day or overnight to have processing options other than pre-arranged drop off in an ice bucket (large box) at the point Loma processors. Hate halling the damn fish around in the car. Seems like a market segment that is wide open at the moment, most people on these trips don't even think about processing because it is not a normal offering.

Tar Pit likes this.
  17. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Just got back from the 3/20 Shogun, 2 1/2 day trip. Called Ryan to set up a time to process fish. Lots of changes being made at Mario's, should be nice when it is finished. As we waited, Ryan took it upon his self to take some of our rock cod, transforming it into some of the best fish and chips I've ever had and a great way to pass the time waiting for our fish. Have always had good luck with all the SD fish processers in the past, but this was above and beyond any expectations I had. Thank you Ryan, we WILL be back!

arkansastuna and sierraazuel like this.
  18. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    X2 on the overnight boats out of Seaforth. I got hooked on the having my fish processed after my first 3-day trip. The quality of the fish is so much better that having the crew do it on the boats.

19. mattsfishn

mattsfishn Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Someday
    It was said twice now, but I'll just say it again. Coming in on any trip that returns late p.m. is always a bummer for me. I equate that with having to fillet at home, which I suck at, doesn't last near as long and ultimately gets freezer burn. With a shit ton of practice I'd probably get better at it, but honestly I don't (catch) fish enough to get that practice. I've only used one other processor and it wasn't Mario. I've heard nothing but great things about that place and look forward to giving them a try.

I'm not familiar with the "late night" drop off, I've heard they all offer, personally not really interested in it. I like face to face dealings. Seaforth is my landing of choice and having the chance with a face to face at Sportmans Seafood after a evening return would be the icing on the cake.

1.5/2.5 day trips never a problem. It's the "non .5" day trips that would make this option awesome.

20. ahistick

ahistick Member

Name:
    Gil
    Boat:
    TBA
    On our trips on the Endeavor out of Seaforth, the captain calls into the landing or Sportsman's as we're heading in. They have met our group to pick up the fish after all was sorted...No need to lug it down to Sportman's...Great service!

Olddog8, sierraazuel and Tar Pit like this.