Sportsmen's Expo Today

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Remembered that the International Sportsman's Expo is in town (here in Sacramento) so I'm going after work today. I note there are the following boats on the vendor list: Independence, American Angler, Qualifier 105, and Intepred. So, I'm going to make a point to visit each of those booths as I walk through. Owner will be there too so that should be nice, as will be Fishermen's Landing. I don't like attending this thing on the weekends as those days are dedicated to my honey-do list. :loverz:

In years past I'd check out the Alaska salmon lodges but the bang-for-the-buck factor has made me a more dedicated tuna guy.

2. Lou Kohn

Lou Kohn Newbie

Name:
    Lou Kohn
    Boat:
    25 wellcraft
    If you get this post before you leave, please stop by the Intrepid booth and if Javier is there, please tell him Lou will bring the hats to the office that I promised him. Tell him I'm sorry but my mothers health has been bad and I haven't had time to get them there. I'd appreciate it. Say hi to all the others as well Capt. Kevin, Hector, Chad, Mike and all the rest. Great operation.
    Lou

3. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Well, it was a fun way to end a long day at the office. To my surprise, Frank LoPresti was manning the booth. Talked briefly with him.

I made the effort to really look at the info on the different long-range boats. I was impressed with what I saw with the Intrepid and the Independence. If anybody wants to PM me their experience on those boats (or listing it here) feel free.

Also, got to learn of some local day-trip options for stripers and such. Oh, and I got to speak with a Penn pro who was a wealth of information on setting up reels like my International 16 for long-range fishing. Seeker had a nice booth there.

Just an observation...Why are so many hunters, and some fishermen, in such bad shape? How can a guy expect to chase a wounded deer if he's packing an extra 80# of blubber? It's a conundrum to me.

4. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    :rofl:
    Now that there is a funny statement....and sad but so true.

5. hydro

hydro Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    I wish
    I have made the same observation. I see big guys struggling in the mountains every season and I don't know how they do it. Around here they can use horses to access a lot of areas but they usually have to get off and hike eventually.

6. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Sometimes the fitness of level of anglers and hunters makes it hard to call the activities sports.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    the only thing I can figure is if they get lost or set adrift at sea they can live longer without food...:hali_olutta:

8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

IMO the intrepid is the class of the fleet great riding.....off the hook food...super crew.....huge bait capacity.....and Kevin Osborn is a awesome skipper......I have fished most of the big boats and nine out if my last ten long range trips have been on the Intrepid.....and my next two are already booked on the Intrepid....:hali_olutta:

9. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    :rofl:

You might be on to something there. The hunters seem worse than the fishermen, though. I've always worked out regularly and even altered my workouts a little so that I can enjoy the tuna fishing a little more (bolstered my lower back). But, some of these hunters have just thrown in the towel.

I spoke with the skipper on the Independence a little about health as we watched the video of guys really working hard bringing in fish. He said even he (he looks thinner than in the video) recently lost weight to make his work easier.

10. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Just an observation...Why are so many hunters, and some fishermen, in such bad shape? How can a guy expect to chase a wounded deer if he's packing an extra 80# of blubber? It's a conundrum to me.

The answer is quite simple. If you look at the Bass fishing industry who has the largest purchasers of equipment you will find the smallest professional jersey is XXXL. Fisherman are required to be at least 50% over their optimum weight just to qualify for major tournaments. Most are more in the 100% over this weight. In this way the clothing manufacturers who sponsor the events can charge more as more cloth is required. Therefore it is the responsibility of each fisherman and hunter to fit the requisite minimum of XXXL shirts before they can join the sport.
    Okay, maybe I am stretching the truth just a tad but it is as good an answer as any....

Jamie

11. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    Earnest Hemingway, was a fat out-of-shape dude most of his life....