sportboat name changes

timmyd3853

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
Champ---->Gallilean---->now the "Off The Hook", for sale on boat trader for 70K. First boat I fished back in El Nino '97. Been hooked on saltwater ever since.

Seahorse---->"Ahra-Ahn" running out of L.B.S.F. now. Fished her once out of Dana Point for a skunk but my buddy got two albies on the troll.

Great thread, keep it rolling!
this is a pic from 1980 on the Gallilean on return from a 3 day to San Martin. What you see there is what 10 people caught. That trip got me a job on the boat. I love that boat! GREAT TIMES on the Gallilean for me. Lots of memories.

Attachments

Torium16

Skipper
Apr 28, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Name
Mike
Boat
25' Voyager Pontoon Boat
the Sea Venture not Sea adventure was the Sea Venture until she had a big swell bash a 10' hole in the bow and she ended up going down off it was either San Miguel or Santa Rosa island back in the early 80's. That was Spike Tafts boat, Chuck and Bobbys dad. That was a BITCHEN boat. My first and only trip to the Lupe was on her and it was also my first "long range" trip. i know 4 3/4 day trip aint really long range but it was my first of more than 2 days. The biggest thing that inpressed me when i got on that boat was how big the galley was and i looked like a resteraunt. I whis she was still aroung i loved that boat.
The Sea Venture was a Hawthorn built originally by Dick Petter when he sold the Fish'n Fool. It was later sold to Bob Taft and then later sold and moved to Ventura and renamed the Majestic Fox and sank in the '80's.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
The Sea Venture was a Hawthorn built originally by Dick Petter when he sold the Fish'n Fool. It was later sold to Bob Taft and then later sold and moved to Ventura and renamed the Majestic Fox and sank in the '80's.
THATS RIGHT i forgot they renamed her.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
I really liked the Galilean the couple times I fished her. She looks so tippy with that wheel house up so high but at 65x20 she was really stable. Curious to see what happens to her next.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
The gallilean didnt always have the taco stand on top. it used to be about 3 feet shorter which kinda sucked for that 2 am wheel watch coming home from san martin after being up a day and a half. Houli had this super comfy easychair in from of the wheel and it was tough to stay away in that bugger

BOATSODA

Team Boat Soda
Nov 17, 2004
COSTA MESA, CA
Name
ERIC
Boat
17' Boston Whaler Montauk "GIGSTICK"
Holiday, now the Tribute?

ReportsFromTheBridge

Mar 24, 2010
San Diego
www.biggame90.net
Name
Irv / Mike
Boat
Reports From The Bridge
The Hornet was the Seaforth II and originally the Clemente I ran it for Fred Benko in 1975 until I bought the Original Sundown from Mike Fullilove
The Original Hornet was a Jefferies Hull and Ran from Pierpoint in the 50s and early 60s

The Original Point Loma was a 60ft open party boat that was built in Mission Valley and ran out of PT. Loma Sportfishing I cooked on it a little in the summed of 1968 when Mike Fadely was the operator and Ray Montera was on deck. the owner at the time was Howard I don't remember his last name. Edie Deal bought the boat sometime in 69 or 70 and had it until he Bought the Eldorado from Norm Heagan, The PT. Loma was sold to people in West Port and It sank while crossing the Bar on the Colombia River a year or two later.
The Oceanside 95 was originally the New Salty Dog built by Sid More He sold it to Seaforth It was the New Sewforth then Dick Helgren Bought it and Named it the O95

Sid More built The Salty Dog 95 in the early 70s it was his 2nd boat it later was sold to H&M and named the Finaleasta 100 Sid's first the Salty Dog was a 80ft Dittmar that was sold to H&M and named the H&M 80
Then Ben Griffith bought it from H&M and Named it the Faith

Reactions: tunafin

fishcrazy

Apr 25, 2004
meridian,id
Name
ed
Boat
none
Hey Irv,I may be wrong but wasn't the original Sundown named the Holiday & owned by Steve Giffin before you bought the boat from Mike Fullilove. I thought I heard somewhere that it was, maybe it was because it was 1 of the only 55ft boats that had a fish hold in it. Also whatever happened to the Corsair that was owned by Jerry Kohler?

ReportsFromTheBridge

Mar 24, 2010
San Diego
www.biggame90.net
Name
Irv / Mike
Boat
Reports From The Bridge
Hey Irv,I may be wrong but wasn't the original Sundown named the Holiday & owned by Steve Giffin before you bought the boat from Mike Fullilove. I thought I heard somewhere that it was, maybe it was because it was 1 of the only 55ft boats that had a fish hold in it. Also whatever happened to the Corsair that was owned by Jerry Kohler?
Steve's first boat was the Tortuga then he had the Sundown built he sold it to Guy Smith who sold it to Bob Patronski who sold it to Mike Fullilove who sold it to me I sold it to Marci Nunes who sold it to Sam Petella who sold it to a Black kid from San Francisco I Don't remember his name He was afraid to run offshore trips down Hear so he tried to shipp by truck up north. He had many problems trying to do that and sever damage was done to the bottom it sat in a yard up north for several years then it was refitted and taken to Oregon and runs sightseeing / whale watch trips.
Steve Giffin's 3rd boat was the Holiday he bought it from Bruce barns It was Built by Bruce and It was the first Qualifer. Steve sold it to Mike Fullilove and named the Fiesta. Steve bought the Polaris III from Bill Pole
and named it Holiday and put it's trade mark tower and crows nest on it

As for the Corsair Jerry sold it and it was renamed the Phoenix and it ran for several years from Mission Bay then Chuck Tafft bought it and Renamed it the Jig Strike. FYI it was originally called the Dutchman

PlugSlinger7x

When In Doubt...Yo-Yo
Jan 9, 2009
Del Mar,Ca.
Name
Mike Saldivar
Boat
CHAIR 9 & 14 MAMMOTH MTN...Pacific Voyager
Sundown=Pac Voyager...
Producer=Original Horizon...
What Happened to Spike Taft's "Scout"?????
Commander=DolphinII=Predator(Mark hall)=Producer(Ray's 1st)=Red Rader??...
Old Glory=Cherokee Geisha(R.I.P. Butch)=Chubasco (Lee Palms)
Gallilean(Harlan Berk)=Gallilean(Scott Meisel)=Gallilean(John Houlihan)=Champ????
Charisma=Bold Contender??????????

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Sundown=Pac Voyager...
Producer=Original Horizon...
What Happened to Spike Taft's "Scout"?????
Commander=DolphinII=Predator(Mark hall)=Producer(Ray's 1st)=Red Rader??...
Old Glory=Cherokee Geisha(R.I.P. Butch)=Chubasco (Lee Palms)
Gallilean(Harlan Berk)=Gallilean(Scott Meisel)=Gallilean(John Houlihan)=Champ????
Charisma=Bold Contender??????????
Gallilean is now the Triton out of pier pointe landing

palgsw

Jul 24, 2008
la ca
Name
sherman
Boat
none
Great thread... Can someone tell me what happened to the Tracer...really didn't like that boat, but fished it many times.

alulunga

ka-tonk
Dec 30, 2007
desert ratsville
Name
Junior
Boat
Seaway Boats, Long Beach, CA & Force Marine, Hilo, HI
What about the Nova?

"The Norm Hagans Nova was built in my back of my house in Newport Beach by Johnny Norick, Norms brother in law". From Reply #16, this Forum

guess it was built as the NOVA and "sank" as the NOVA

PlugSlinger7x

When In Doubt...Yo-Yo
Jan 9, 2009
Del Mar,Ca.
Name
Mike Saldivar
Boat
CHAIR 9 & 14 MAMMOTH MTN...Pacific Voyager
Whatever became of the Bold Contender...The Hope...The Scout...Channel Clipper

1540331_1444336165795318_1256424100_o.jpg

note the Sea Venture docked in...Cabo...circa 1979...

konared

Oct 22, 2004
Crystal River, Florida
Name
Doug
Boat
Kayak
Who owned the Nova when it sank?Tom
Good question.
I worked on it in 1971, when I worked the deck, one guy wrote the check, when I worked the galley, another guy wrote the check.
Tom Durr ran the boat when I worked on it, most of the year, it was Tom, Rick Doesburg, and me.
The next year it hit the north end of south.

alulunga

ka-tonk
Dec 30, 2007
desert ratsville
Name
Junior
Boat
Seaway Boats, Long Beach, CA & Force Marine, Hilo, HI
Who owned the Nova when it sank?Tom
I worked on her when Frank & Mary Lou LoPreste owned the boat (Steve Browning ran it, Nick Cates was the 2nd, and a guy whose 1st name was Lee was the cook)...it was his (Frank) 2nd boat after the 'little' Searcher and I believe he might have still been the owner at the time of the sinking...I only lasted 3 months workin' the deck because I was a "wimp"...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
:_hot_:

Last edited:

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
No discussion of The Bright & Morning Star, I know back in the day she was considered one of the fastest in the fleet.
No name change / history?
If I remember correctly within the last 2 years she was on the chopping block & needed alot of work, where is she now?