Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
I need to post simply to follow history. As a junior I fished many named. Need to follow pics and quiz mom to get the whole story of when and where.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
i think it was the relentless somewhere in between???

GREAT POST!!

Seeker----<---<-------------------"Relentless"---------------<--Topgun----<--<--<---------Shogun

wildbunch

MOFO
Oct 11, 2008
Analheim
Name
Bill
Boat
23' "Hardcore"
ENCORE is SEA ADVENTURE 80......The CHARISMA is the dive boat GREAT ESCAPE. I chartered both of them many times.....

DMG

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dina
Boat
Ocean Odyssey, 85' Sportfisher
The Blackjack was the Champ 85 for a year before it was the Ocean Odyssey

wxdunn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 11, 2009
Mobile, AL
www.thefishingweatherman.com
Name
Chris
Boat
none
The Islander was the Pescador (and I believe the Point Loma for a short while) after it was the Red Rooster II. I do know for sure it was Pescador...running 1/2 days out of Queens Wharf in Long Beach.

Terry_CA

Old Rookie
Jul 18, 2006
San Diego and Havasu
Name
Terry
Boat
19' Champion
any ideas as to where it was that the La Jollan went down?????always wondered then some years back saw the old skipper had passed. Tall ,funny, really nice man with a corn cob pipe??
The 55' La Jollan, originally Jet 1 or Jet II, was run by George Foster in the early '70's out of Pt. Loma. Originally had a gas engine. I heard she broke in half in a boatyard sling in Oxnard or up there somewhere. I also don't remember George as tall, but he was white headed and couldn't let the sun hit his skin at all. Wore straw hat and gloves, with zinc oxide all over his face. I decked for 2 summers with him and Walt McDonald. Best job in my life., or at least most fun.

Terry

rojodiablo

Dive club flunkie
Jul 22, 2005
Santa Ana Ca.
Name
Paul Romanowski
Boat
Sold the boat; running the rubber ducky! (Inflatable)
Here's a few more.

The Pacific Eagle was the Dancing Bear. And the Mirage was the Longfin. The Aloha Spirit was the Revielle.
Whatever happened to Chuck Ellis after he lost the Deluxe? I worked for him on both boats- a couple stints on the Dancing Bear, and a season on the Deluxe. (Left the boat in cabo, what a fiasco.)

Amazing thread. What a trip down memory lane!!

johnnylite

Never too late to change.
Sep 19, 2006
Camarillo
Name
John
Boat
Triumph 210cc
Many memories of those boats but favorite has to be City of Imperial Beach. Going off the pier for that short ride to the islands.
My Uncle Paul and I caught many a Yellowtail together. I also remember a Barge parked off shore he would end me to for the day.
Great pictures and great stories. Keep them coming.

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I remember that City of Imperial Beach running 1/2 day trips to the Coronado's during the early 70's. Wonder what ever happened to Captain Howey Clark? Took me fishing when he was running the El Dorado, changed my life. Being from Long Beach it was a huge honer to be able to ride a San Diego boat where there was some semblance of honesty around sport fishing.

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
The Dolphin II is now the Commander after Greg let her go.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
Originally at Art's Landing in Balboa. Bought by Chuck Taft who lengthened it and renamed it the Sea Adventure. Now in Oxnard as the Pacific Islander.
i worked on the Channel Isle in the early 80's out of Arts Landing before it i believe went up to Oxnard and then down to Chuck and was renamed the Sea Adventure. if i remember correctly here Chucks Grandfather, Spikes dad Charlie Taft worked the counter at Arts Landing at that time.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Heres a question. What ever happened to the long ranger boat the "Executive" that was built in the early 90's and disappeared a couple years later?

end

Apr 2, 2010
corona
Name
ed
Boat
none
The big yellow boat after a few season out of San Diego became the El Zorro.

It was used for a around the world fishing an stopped at many ports and when through many captains.

It had a large sportfisher piggyback on the stern.

Ed

fishtoday

Dec 1, 2009
Long Beach,Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Jim Williams
Boat
none
I'am semi retired now. Still running boats like alot of you guys. This on going thread brings back lots of memories of the hardest & best times of our lives. I worked the Salty dog95,for Cid Moore, the builder. Worked for Eddie Deihl on the old Point Loma & the El dorado when Howie Clark & Mike Williams ran the boat. Got my license working the Eldo & my first boat to run was the Fiesta,owned by Barny Holder frm. San Francisco. Ran a couple yachts & some commercial fishing. Back to the spot boats. H&M 85, now the chief. Started running offshore oil boats & have been doing work boats up till now. Now a days I want to make some longer trips,some fly down trips,some get togethers with old lost friends.We have these computers now & social networking,we should be able to get together for some charters & fun kind of trips. Some of my old friends still own sport boats,& would love to have us guys on board. I'am not very good with a computer but can still catch a hot bait & turn that into a tuna. Love to fish with some of the old crowd & fish some of the current fun trips. Can one of you guys with the computer skills put something together so we can touch bases with each other about some trips we want to take. I want to do a fly down to Cedros. Any one else? Drive down to San Quintin for the sea bass or just to go? P.V. Panama, Costa Rica? I can't do these trips by myself nor can you. Some one wants to do a trip somewhere & puts the word out we can look at the timing & jump on board. My name is Jim Williams & worked in S.D. in the early 70's & 80's. Would love to hear frm old friends & all interested parties. Tight lines. Let's go catching.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
The big yellow boat after a few season out of San Diego became the El Zorro.

It was used for a around the world fishing an stopped at many ports and when through many captains.

It had a large sportfisher piggyback on the stern.

Ed
oh jeez thats right i forgot that thing was yellow with brown trim if im remembering right. does anyone know what happened to or where the breezer formerly the polaris deluxe is these days?

Katie

Nov 16, 2009
Thousand Oaks, Ca / usa
Name
Daniel Fitzgerald
Boat
sport boats
oh jeez thats right i forgot that thing was yellow with brown trim if im remembering right. does anyone know what happened to or where the breezer formerly the polaris deluxe is these days?
The Breezers is in a slip on Harbor Island, pretty much where the fuel dock is. It's I think the third rig in, behind the Conquistador (bigger white aluminum sportboat looking yacht that I think might be a Poole built boat too) that's on the end of the same finger. You can see the Breezers pretty clearly from Harbor Drive if you're looking in the right spot. ...and not driving...

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
The Breezers is in a slip on Harbor Island, pretty much where the fuel dock is. It's I think the third rig in, behind the Conquistador (bigger white aluminum sportboat looking yacht that I think might be a Poole built boat too) that's on the end of the same finger. You can see the Breezers pretty clearly from Harbor Drive if you're looking in the right spot. ...and not driving...
thanks Katie, shes in god company then docked up with the Conquistador, thats one bad ass boat. Kind of a shame the Breezers ainr in the fleet running long range like she used to.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
how bout this bout? anyone remeber the "Fat Matt" Matt Walsh? i got a couple memories fishing on that boat in my early years. what happened to her? also wherd did the legend/china clipper disappear to?

RyoK

RyoK
Sep 3, 2009
San Gabriel, CA
Name
Ryo
Boat
none
how bout this bout? anyone remeber the "Fat Matt" Matt Walsh? i got a couple memories fishing on that boat in my early years. what happened to her? also wherd did the legend/china clipper disappear to?
Matt Walsh is now a whale watching boat in Marina del Rey.

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
WOW That is some cool stuff Eric. keep it coming. I'm loving all this old history.

let me see if I got this.
China Clipper, Legend
Sea Adventure ?
Electra SAME
Reel Special, Sea spray, island spirit
Alalunga ?
Pursuit, Morning Star, Pursuit
Islander ?
Pioneer, Cobra
Captian Hook, Pronto

These are just my guesses. So some one let me know if I got those write.
the Sea Venture not Sea adventure was the Sea Venture until she had a big swell bash a 10' hole in the bow and she ended up going down off it was either San Miguel or Santa Rosa island back in the early 80's. That was Spike Tafts boat, Chuck and Bobbys dad. That was a BITCHEN boat. My first and only trip to the Lupe was on her and it was also my first "long range" trip. i know 4 3/4 day trip aint really long range but it was my first of more than 2 days. The biggest thing that inpressed me when i got on that boat was how big the galley was and i looked like a resteraunt. I whis she was still aroung i loved that boat.

trlrtrsh67

Porch Honkey
Nov 22, 2007
Running Springs
Name
Rich
Boat
14' Gregor / IMP 220 Sportsman WA
Champ---->Gallilean---->now the "Off The Hook", for sale on boat trader for 70K. First boat I fished back in El Nino '97. Been hooked on saltwater ever since.

Seahorse---->"Ahra-Ahn" running out of L.B.S.F. now. Fished her once out of Dana Point for a skunk but my buddy got two albies on the troll.

Great thread, keep it rolling!