sportboat name changes

Discussion in 'Vintage Fishing Boats, Gear & Stuff' started by Eric's Tackle, May 9, 2013.

1. Caseymcv

Caseymcv Old man

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    In my dreams
    Took that Sea Venture to Guadalupe back in ‘80; huge yellows

2. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    Which boat had bunks in the back of the boat under the bait tanks? Went on it about 8 years ago but so much time has passed I forgot what the boat was called and probably a few name changes sure didn't help. The chief made the best grilled cheese sandwiches!

3. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    The Indian had a rear bunk room. Noisy but a flat ride and big bunks.

gnehekul likes this.
  4. Mtnfshr

Mtnfshr Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chuck Mc
    Boat:
    none
    The Pacific Queen used to have a few staterooms under the bait tanks as well. I have no idea if it still does.

gnehekul likes this.
  5. Steve Francis

Steve Francis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    StephenKatSea
    Boat:
    .--.
    Frank Hall's Sharp Shooter of San Pedro had some bunks under the bait tank. When Howie Clark left sportfishing he went to Tidewater. He ran the Sun Tide out of Hueneme in the early 80s. He later left Tidewater. Last I knew he was in upper management for Crowley somewhere in the NW. I ran the New Salty Dog for Sid Moore and Howie ran the El Dorado (originally built for Norm Hagen) for Eddie Diehl. Both boats were Ditmar Donaldson's. But completely different hulls. The New Salty Dog was a much better sea keeping boat than the El Dorado. We each ran out of Morro Bay for Albacore. The NSD ran from Virg's Landing and the Eldo from Brebe's Landing. There were times the El Dorado had to return to port due to weather, while the NSD was able to continue to fish. Yes, there were 3 Salty Dogs, all owned by Sid and Marion Moore. The first Salty Dog (H&M 80) was actually physically built by Sid up in the Bay Area. He had somehow got the plans from Ditmar Donaldson. The build was a bit crude, but it ran and fished for many years. Next came the Salty Dog 95 (Finalista 100) built by DD in Costa Mesa. Last was the New Salty Dog, also built by DD in Costa Mesa - double planked Philippine Mohogany. Sid convinced Don Donaldson to add 5 feet to the boat. So, it was 5 ft longer than his Salty Dog 95. It was also 5 ft longer than the boat Bill Poole was having built at DD at that time. Poole wasn't too happy about that. BTW, the only dog I knew of Sid and Marion's was a spoiled miniature Schnauzer named Misty. Believe their Salty Dog's were named for her.

6. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    any one know what happened to the Zaida.... this was a 30 knot boat that ran overnights to Cortez way back when...

7. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I think late 70's. I remember seeing it at the Harbor Island 76 dock and thinking what a cool boat it was.

8. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    They are still there......but don't tell anybody.

freegaff2 likes this.
  9. yellofvr

yellofvr Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    At home
    What about the G/W out of Belmont Pier, And the Black Jack from Redondo

10. spize909

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    Blackjack is Ocean Odyssey.

yellofvr likes this.
  11. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Am I the only one that remembers the Zaida?? Pretty sure it was a hi speed rig crew boat originally that they converted to open party.. it would race by us on any sport boat I was on when we saw it and I was told could cruise 30 knots...
    They were the only boat running overnight Cortez trips and saw em on the bank many times...
    Anyone?

12. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I remember it.I think its twin was the Jackie.One of those was name changed to the Bright and Morning star.Ben Griffin owned it.Yes it hauled ass.I seem to remember something about removing and selling one of the three engines it had.It was a very narrow boat for its size.

13. FishinMcNuggets

FishinMcNuggets Fishin fo' Nutrition!

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
  14. newtauk17

newtauk17 Newbie

Name:
    Kohei
    Boat:
    18',Robalo
    Zaida and Jackie...the Zaida rings a distant bell, but don't remember where. I do recall fishing on the 90' Bright and Morning Star on a 2 or 3 and 3/4 day trip for albacore and bft out of H&M, I think. And yes, it was narrow! I remember the first meeting in the galley - after we got settled in. 'We are the Motel 6 of the long range fleet' - they announced. If I didn't know any better, I think Dave Williams was running the boat relief for Ben. We were 200+ miles SSW out of Point Loma. I don't particularly remember the ride out, but we had great fishing for albacore and bft. The fish were all put on ice in the holds. I saw the use of a sea anchor for the first time - it was essentially a parachute. When it was time to go home, the fish cleaning started, and I watched as he throttled the engines....biggest rooster tail I ever saw behind any boat I had been on. The boat seemed to be on a plane. Somebody mentioned we were going 25 to 30 knots. I went to sleep and woke as the throttles were pulled back. It was about 2am. I thought - wait a minute, we left the grounds at about 8pm....That was a boat ride firmly embedded in my now depleted RAM.

alulunga likes this.
  15. newtauk17

newtauk17 Newbie

Name:
    Kohei
    Boat:
    18',Robalo
    additionally, there was a similar boat Mike Frank ran out of 22nd St Landing. New Image. He was running 3/4 day trips - and going as far as San Clemente. That boat was probably one of those, I'd bet. This would be late 1980's.

alulunga likes this.
  16. end

end Newbie

Name:
    ed
    Boat:
    none
    I have been on both HM80 and the Holiday and they are built complete different

17. end

end Newbie

Name:
    ed
    Boat:
    none
    I have gone back over this whole thread and cannot find the current San Diego out of Mission Bay what were its previous names?

18. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I remember fishing a boat the Kiora (SP?) I think off of Santa Monica pier when I was a kid. It was pretty old then. I wonder what happened to it.
    Took my young nephew on the Hornet the last few years it ran out of SB. Mike was always really nice to him, let him sit on the chair on the the bait tank and screw around with the bait. Was really sorry to see it go.

terryc. likes this.
  19. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc

20. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine

The other boat outta there was the Indiana ...the kiaora was my first party boat experience...unreal 1/2 day bass and cod back then ..