PENN

strikezone 1

Oct 14, 2007
downey
Name
joshua hendricks
Boat
23 keywest strikezone
FN Lame Clueless Brain-damaged Self-righteous Deceitful Ignorant Twinkie Troll Loser Asshole Regurgitant Lower life form Commercial advertiser Intellectual hemorrhoid, all of them!

On a much more possitive note ~ we were done by 8:30 Saturday.

i hope your not talking about promar they are the ones that worked with the DFG to keep the conical legal.

Upvote 0

strikezone 1

Oct 14, 2007
downey
Name
joshua hendricks
Boat
23 keywest strikezone
Like the net, don't let promar see it or they will rip it off.

so are you knocking owner for making hooks? cause im sure they werent the first ones to make hooks.

berkley for making line?

mylure for making trolling lures?

should i go on?

Upvote 0

rivertake

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 28, 2008
Hoopin since
Name
LOBSTER
Boat
CATCHER
:D

Wouldn't give a damn if they did. I didn't invent the idea. Just made a better one than they do!!!! You should see my buoy and rope system.

It's funny man. I argued vehemently in favor of conicals remaining legal. Wrote letters. Attended meeting.

Wish we could go back to old style portugeese deep cone. Takes way more skill and would slow down some of the herd. It is unbelievable how many trailers on any given night in the lot. Boats on the water. Inconsiderate asshats trying to set too close to gear already in the water.

It would be near impossible for the cattle boats to fish those nets properly.

It's also funny how the previous couple years all the people bitching with regularity about how the lobster has been overfished. People saying how they "used to see so many" and now "their spot" won't produce. If you have fished SD bay this year and aren't having success...... you just suck! There have been more lobster early in the year than the last 5 years.

Lobster fishing continues to be highly productive within the network of guys i regularly communicate with.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
I'd like to have about 10 hoops like that one there.

I do. :rofl::rofl:

To late they have seen it.

i hope your not talking about promar they are the ones that worked with the DFG to keep the conical legal.

Woow there big guy, before you get to carried away... I am all for giving people credit when it is deserved, but they were there for one reason and one reason only and if you think it was to look out for your best interest, you have been listening to too many commercials and need to do a reality check. That was business and looking out for their business, if anything helped you out along the way fine, and if it didn't... oh well. I am for giving them some credit, but lets keep it real.

For the guys hooping off of the sport boats, I feel sorry for you, I know most of you don't really have any other options and it is better than not doing it at all... but it is a long way from the kind of hoop netting that I do.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles

Wouldn't give a damn if they did. I didn't invent the idea. Just made a better one than they do!!!! You should see my buoy and rope system.

It's funny man. I argued vehemently in favor of conicals remaining legal. Wrote letters. Attended meeting.

Wish we could go back to old style portugeese deep cone. Takes way more skill and would slow down some of the herd. It is unbelievable how many trailers on any given night in the lot. Boats on the water. Inconsiderate asshats trying to set too close to gear already in the water.

It's also funny how the previous couple years all the people bitching with regularity about how the lobster has been overfished. People saying how they "used to see so many" and now "their spot" won't produce. If you have fished SD bay this year and aren't having success...... you just suck! There have been more lobster early in the year than the last 5 years.

Lobster fishing continues to be highly productive within the network of guys i regularly communicate with.

Yep..good networking is key! Glad your having a good season :hali_olutta:

Upvote 0

Werfless

Hugh Mann
Sep 15, 2012
The county
Name
Hugh Mann
Boat
Plastic Chariot
went out on the condor last week on a 'fishing' trip during a lobster pot run, 25$, not much fishing time, so wouldn't do it again, but was a pretty good time regardless, nice boat, interesting crew (the one-time cook was deckhand??? funny ass dude) i caught some sculpin, a few macks and a short butt, so i guess i did alright for my 25 bucks.. had to bring my own bait though, not sure why i couldn't have used cut YT collars or sardine chunks instead, if that was available as lobster bait, to tip my plastic.. worked out alright, i wouldn't go with anything heavier than 12-15lb class gear if i had to do it over again tho..

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

Well I am talking about them. So now what!?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

AMEN!

Went out last Saturday with one of my regulars, my boat, had the game plan all laid out based on recon and connections with THE LOCAL BOYS.
At the ramp someone shows up with a last minute tip, so slightly altered but same area.
I questioned, but rolled with it, rest is history we'll nailed it in 2 hours for 2 of us and called it a night.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
We were out Sat. as well - did ok
Call it friends, contacts, even a f'in code group - we all have an info network that shares good dope. That's what friends do.

AMEN!

Went out last Saturday with one of my regulars, my boat, had the game plan all laid out based on recon and connections with THE LOCAL BOYS.
At the ramp someone shows up with a last minute tip, so slightly altered but same area.
I questioned, but rolled with it, rest is history we'll nailed it in 2 hours for 2 of us and called it a night.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white

Why would you argue that the conical net remain legal ? you wish you could go back to the old style net ? you can.You wonder why we now have so many inconsiderate people hooping ? blame that hooptrap thing that you wanted to remain legal ! The way i see it the DFG sold out to Promar so they could generate funds with all the lobster cards people are buying.Hooping has become a joke anymore,anybody with a floating object can catch limit a having no skills or practice handling a boat.

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
AMEN!

On my way to verizon right now, must be something wrong with the ringer on my phone? ;)

Upvote 0

rivertake

May 28, 2008
Hoopin since
Name
LOBSTER
Boat
CATCHER
Why would you argue that the conical net remain legal ? you wish you could go back to the old style net ? you can.You wonder why we now have so many inconsiderate people hooping ? blame that hooptrap thing that you wanted to remain legal ! The way i see it the DFG sold out to Promar so they could generate funds with all the lobster cards people are buying.Hooping has become a joke anymore,anybody with a floating object can catch limit a having no skills or practice handling a boat.

I agree with little you say.

I don't have a problem with promar. Small businesses being successful and capitalizing on a need is fine with me. That's how I make my living.

The world is full of inconsiderate people. Parents fault, not promars.

Why would I go back to a hoop that fishes (my opinion) inferior to a conical? Do I wish they would have been banned? I do. I fished custom made deep cone style Portuguese style nets for 25 years with much success.

As I said. If we went back to the only available hoop net being the green net POS that was available,,,,,,, without skill, way less people would be chasing lobster, and that would be fine with me. I would still custom make my nets and Q some cockaroaches just the same!

Upvote 0

teddya2

Mar 30, 2007
san diego
Name
teddya2
Boat
invader 20- Bikini Bottom
Yo rivertake and gonzo, ya finally showed up, u guys r the best....id add
sherm and others that group, just telling my guy chad that we have not heard from RT lately.......glad yer on the outside bro!.......

Upvote 0

rivertake

May 28, 2008
Hoopin since
Name
LOBSTER
Boat
CATCHER
We were out Sat. as well - limits for 3 in 25 nets - a great night for sure.

Call it friends, contacts, even a f'in code group - we all have an info network that shares good dope. That's what friends do.

Hey man. First rule of Langosta club.......

When are you going to give me some of that good dope anyway's Steve. :rofl:
I'm working way too hard for limits.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I agree with little you say.

I don't have a problem with promar. Small businesses being successful and capitalizing on a need is fine with me. That's how I make my living.

Why would I go back to a hoop that fishes (my opinion) inferior to a conical? Do I wish they would have been banned? I do. I fished custom made deep cone style Portuguese style nets for 25 years with much success.

As I said. If we went back to the only available hoop net being the green net POS that was available,,,,,,, without skill, way less people would be chasing lobster, and that would be fine with me. I would still custom make my nets and Q some cockaroaches just the same!

If you wish that they were banned why lobby to keep them legal ? im not trying to be a wiseass,just wondering.My portugese type nets are still wacking em just fine.Ive used a friends conical nets twice and boy they sure do work,its just not my thing to use them.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
The way i see it the DFG sold out to Promar so they could generate funds with all the lobster cards people are buying.

Remember it's a 2-way street, someone has to be kneeling and someone has to be standing, and I'll lay odds they took turns standing and kneeling.

Attachments

• BullsEye.jpg
    BullsEye.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

Capitalizing on need is okay, but if it's done unethically, with no scruples, with no conscience, using back-handed techniques, you step on people, and hijack other peoples/companies work and/or product design then that's flat out BULLSHIT and should not be tolerated on any level.

Faulting parents for the behavior of people that are so-called adults is also BULLSHIT!
People need to be held responsible for the decisions they make and the actions they take.

Upvote 0

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
conicals sometimes catch big ones. Got this little guy last night

Nice bug!! I've modified some of our conicals, sewed new webbing in to make them deeper. They work very well and load up on the right spot.
Conicals are a great innovation and, if everybody follows the law, I don't see them as a threat to the resources. There's plenty of lobster to be had, the fishery is extremely well managed.
As far as ethical behavior is concerned, there's little differance between gear encroachment lobstering and someone drifting your chum line or crowding in on a kelp paddie you're fishing. The same types cut you off on the road and act selfishly in ALL aspects of their daily activities. You can't legislate ethical behavior or manners; it's just the world we live in.

Upvote 0

InTheField

Almost A Member
Oct 17, 2006
PL
Name
Tom
Boat
23' Proline
Wow amazed at how a simple question about going on a sport boat for lobster turned in to this. Life is about choices. Limits have been easy to come by this year and yet we still bitch. Multiple limits without leaving the bay has been the norm regardless of the type of nets. I use both, so this is more than an opinion. Someday we may have to leave the safety of the bay at night to get them. No big deal for me, but makes me cringe for the people who make their lives saving those who make uneducated decisions. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My first hoop nets were made by my grandfather, welded rings with commercial net scraps rigged into them with chicken wire to shove bait into. They worked too. Once hoop nets became cheap and easy to buy this was bound to happen. Or maybe it&#8217;s the $29lb thing. <o:p></o:p>
My opinion&#8230; it&#8217;s the military's fault for not keeping fucking GPS to themselves.<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0

Stringer

Idiot Savant
Jul 7, 2005
Bakersfield
Name
Stringer
Boat
25 Skipjack FB
Rather than starting a whole new thread, I'll just hijack this one. All Promar politics aside, the wife bought me one of these trips for Christmas because it was something different and I have never hooped lobster (that and the fact that she really likes lobster). So I have a couple of questions about this trip.

First of all, worth it or not worth it to bring a 15# rig and maybe some squid?

Second, Do you keep the lobsters alive? and why? and what is the best way to do this and get them back to Bakersfield still alive?

Third, once I am home with them can I cut and freeze some of them? just the tails?

and lastly, what do you find to be the best way to prepare/cook them?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Gary Schulte

Oct 9, 2009
San Diego
Name
Gary Schulte
Boat
Proline 20 CC
Rather than starting a whole new thread, I'll just hijack this one. All Promar politics aside, the wife bought me one of these trips for Christmas because it was something different and I have never hooped lobster (that and the fact that she really likes lobster). So I have a couple of questions about this trip.

First of all, worth it or not worth it to bring a 15# rig and maybe some squid?

Second, Do you keep the lobsters alive? and why? and what is the best way to do this and get them back to Bakersfield still alive?

Third, once I am home with them can I cut and freeze some of them? just the tails?

and lastly, what do you find to be the best way to prepare/cook them?

Thanks.

Hey Stringer,
I'll try to answer some of your questions as best I can...

1) My buddies from work go out on the Condor here in San Diego quite a bit (I have my own boat). The Condor provides all the bait and hoops. The cost of the trip only includes one hoop and what comes up in your hoop is yours. In other words, the guy next to you might get 7 and you might not get anything. You double your chances by buying a second hoop. I've never heard of the guys bringing their own bait. If you mean is it worth it or not to bring a pole along to fish in between then yes, maybe. Ive seen guys fishing off the back of the commercial boats while the nets are soaking. Keep in mind that the boat will be moving around a lot.

2) Lobsters can live 10 hours or more out of the water. If you keep them in a bucket with a wet towel over them you'll have live bugs when you get home. Fresh water will kill them. The law says they must be whole until consumed. That's because once the tail is separated the Fish and Game guys can't easily determine if your bugs are legal size or not.

3) I didn't says this but.... absolutely.

4) There are several ways to prepare them but one of the easiest is to remove them from the shell and cook them on the grill outside just as you would a steak. I baste them in butter and add a bit of seasoning salt. I'm sure youtube offers several videos on this subject.

Have fun

Upvote 0