PENN

maguro51

Sep 9, 2006
San Gabriel Valley
Name
Andy
Boat
none
Would like to try hooping on the Jig Strike or Alicia. In addition to gloves, rain gear, lobster card, what else do I need? To max my success, should I bring my own bait, like salmon head or ??? Particular times, like full moon or tide changes around 9:00 PM? How do u keep them alive till the next day, I heard, cardboard, lobster, cardboard then ice? Someone also mention to bring a bass rod for fishing in between drops, is that true? Any other helpful tips?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Upvote 0

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME
Call the landing and ask them. They're the only ones that can answer that about the fishing and the bait. As for the bugs, weather is always good...the more the better for buggin'. Lobsters can stay alive as long as you keep them wet. No moon is best. San Diego harbor fishes different then anywhere else. It seems like it is always good.

Upvote 0

18parker

Jun 22, 2008
fallbrook
Name
jeff
Boat
Cabo 226
i went on the jig strike not very exciting all you get to do is pull a net every 45 mins or so they do all the rest just bring fishing lic. and report card. good luck!!

Upvote 0

pugz

Almost A Member
Nov 25, 2010
Ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Mine
You also need a fishing license.

I wouldn't bring the rain gear if it's fear of getting wet when pulling the hoops. The jig strike has a roller setup on the bow of the boat and you don't get wet since you are like 4 feet from the roller.

The key items to bring are fishing license, lobster card, and gloves.

Don't bring bait for the hoops, the lobster bait is included for your trip. They use crushed sardines and the deckhands do all the baiting and setting of hoops. All you do is pull the hoops.

I would bring a rod to fish with when the hoops are soaking, basically they wait for 45 min or so. When I was on the jig strike they had a limited supply live sardines that they let us fish with and they even let us use heir rods for free, someone brought a package of frozen squid and they caught a couple sand bass.

I would do it again since I don't have a boat.

Upvote 0

teddya2

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 30, 2007
san diego
Name
teddya2
Boat
invader 20- Bikini Bottom
Went last year on the jig strike to check their set up and chill for a night. They run a good operation even if they sqeeze a bit close to others at times.......they got tv for sun/mon/th night football, plenty of beer and food for sale.........go for it, nothing needed but gloves license and card.......and money for beer and food.....tides ect don't really matter in my opinion. Get out there weekdays if ya can

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
They squeezed me a bit last night but it really wasn't a big deal. I found it interesting that they had all 10 of their nets in a pretty tight circular group.

Went last year on the jig strike to check their set up and chill for a night. They run a good operation even if they sqeeze a bit close to others at times.......they got tv for sun/mon/th night football, plenty of beer and food for sale.........go for it, nothing needed but gloves license and card.......and money for beer and food.....tides ect don't really matter in my opinion. Get out there weekdays if ya can

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
The Pride is back hooping again out of Seaforth if you perfer to leave from mission bay.

Upvote 0

Mfish618

Sea Reaper
Jun 5, 2007
San Diego/ Westport Wa.
Name
Mike
Boat
19 FT. Searay, 17 ft Champion
real men don't use gloves, the condor from fisherman's landing is also doing lobster trips

On the Condor we supply all you need, just bring your licence and lobster card, a rod if you wish. I like to turn and burn the gear, so expect 7 or 8 pulls a trip. We usually have gloves you can use. We also have a good roller setup, so you shouldn't get too wet. Full galley and TV are available.
We run Thursday through Sunday out of Fisherman's Landing departing at 6PM and returning between 1-2 AM. If they're crawling I will stay out a bit later.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
real men don't use gloves, the condor from fisherman's landing is also doing lobster trips

your right, real men don't use gloves.... they call them fools, stupid, dumb shits, idots... oh, and make sure you grab the lobster by the tail too. :rofl:

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
I am now understanding that really big lobster may have trouble fitting into conical nets. I am going back old style with a few traps this week and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Tell that to the guy that got a 17 lb one in a 32" conical last season! I wouldn't have thought it was possible.

I am now understanding that really big lobster may have trouble fitting into conical nets. I am going back old style with a few traps this week and see what happens.

Upvote 0

rivertake

May 28, 2008
Hoopin since
Name
LOBSTER
Boat
CATCHER
Tell that to the guy that got a 17 lb one in a 32" conical last season! I wouldn't have thought it was possible.

conicals sometimes catch big ones. Got this little guy last night

Attachments

• DSCN2277.jpg
    DSCN2277.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
conicals sometimes catch big ones. Got this little guy last night

Way to go bud... new nets must be working out good. having a good year so far?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Like the net, don't let promar see it or they will rip it off.

FN Lame Clueless Brain-damaged Self-righteous Deceitful Ignorant Twinkie Troll Loser Asshole Regurgitant Lower life form Commercial advertiser Intellectual hemorrhoid, all of them!

On a much more possitive note ~ we were done by 8:30 Saturday.

Upvote 0