Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat Name
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I love California....happy and totally stoked to be here. I prefer the fishing out of San Diego to anywhere that I have ever traveled. Not that there are not other options....I just love LR. I noticed the price of my upcoming trip also increased by $700 for next year. That's a shit load....but then again the Deli Sausages at sprouts have gone up from $2.99 to $5.99....happy Long Range isn't going up like that.

I have fished long range since 1993...the type of people that were going then and the guys going now has totally changed....and that is due to costs. For example, there used to be whole charters of firemen......many of them. Where did they all go? I'm 54...early on I was always the youngest passenger.....now....I'm still in the top 10%......lot of really old guys still fishing.

Supply and demand....I expect we might get back to normal next year with options available as opposed to every spot on every boat booked a year in advance. The Polaris Supreme just sent out a note there was a couple of spots open on 2 trips ....for all of next year!

Sucks prices are going up, sucks that some cannot afford to keep up with this sport. California still rocks!

Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat Name
Sold to the man with $$$
What's going to happen when the BFT fishing goes to shit and we know it will. Mexico is locking us out as well. But for now they are full and good for them. I have a good friend who exited at the right time. Good for him.
We are going to do some destination travel fishing, PV, Costa Rica and Panama. I have a group going to the Amazon in Jan 2024. Lot's of great fishing out there. I have had blinders on for too many years.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica from San Diego
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
I'm surprised there are not more younger long rangers.

By age 27 and I lived abroad from age 21-24 and abroad from age 28- present. I had 4 day, multiple 5 dayers, 6 day, couple 10 dayers, 11 dayer, 17 dayer, 22/15 dayer, lots of 1-3 dayers. The trips 8 days or more. I was the youngest by about 30 years with most 40+ years older then me. Glad I made those trips during young years.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat Name
Long range fishing
Well, you all are making good points, but I really think that you are all overlooking the TRUE reason for the increases - - - Soda Pop and his ridiculous "I'm going to be on a Long Range Boat at least ten trips every year!" behavior. That is hogging all of the openings! Poor boat captains, they keep raising the prices to discourage him, but NOOO he just writes bigger checks!
Cutting down next year. Only doing 74 days on the water. This years it's 99 days. Going to Tahiti and Antarctica next year with my wife

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat Name
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
It might be blasphemy to say it, but…..

At some point the long range “San Diego” fleet might just be enticed to move south to Ensenada. Closer to long range fishing grounds, exponentially cheaper operating costs, and a regulatory and business environment that’s way friendlier (or lax) than California.

Our offshore industry going offshore..

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat Name
African Queen
Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat Name
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.

By age 27 and I lived abroad from age 21-24 and abroad from age 28- present. I had 4 day, multiple 5 dayers, 6 day, couple 10 dayers, 11 dayer, 17 dayer, 22/15 dayer, lots of 1-3 dayers. The trips 8 days or more. I was the youngest by about 30 years with most 40+ years older then me. Glad I made those trips during young years.
I worked on the boats till I was 30...even then my vacations were LR trips. Glad I got to see stuff when it was still open.......Where every trip had a pass by to Guadalupe to see what's up, Cedros with acres of Yellowtail boiling, Chester Rocks, San Martin....kills me these are mostly out of reach now. I hate panga fishing.....

I almost completely missed the long long range stuff.....My first 16 day trip left the day they reclosed Clarion...I got two trips in at Clarion........ and never got to fish the other islands.....that makes me sad.

Reactions: ZZZZZ and Bill W
Upvote 0

Hawgboy

Almost A Member
May 7, 2022
Garden Grove
Name
Gary
Boat Name
Any
I worked on the boats till I was 30...even then my vacations were LR trips. Glad I got to see stuff when it was still open.......Where every trip had a pass by to Guadalupe to see what's up, Cedros with acres of Yellowtail boiling, Chester Rocks, San Martin....kills me these are mostly out of reach now. I hate panga fishing.....

I almost completely missed the long long range stuff.....My first 16 day trip left the day they reclosed Clarion...I got two trips in at Clarion........ and never got to fish the other islands.....that makes me sad
Is Chester Rock closed to fish ? Been on some epic large Yellowtail bites there

Upvote 0

Hawgboy

Almost A Member
May 7, 2022
Garden Grove
Name
Gary
Boat Name
Any

Younger long rangers with money is the key, they better find a way to market them. I’m sad to say when I was going on longer trips I dreamed of retirement age and going long range not so much now at retirement age for many reasons

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat Name
Royal Star
Show me a better word when no one staged a "no buy fuel" day in protest of current prices...

Nope, cars are just lined up down the street to pay $6.50. Oh, we're willing alright....
It would be difficult to get 3 people to agree on what time to go to lunch. Getting people not to buy gas on a designated day would be impossible.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat Name
Royal Star
See your 60, raise you 300! :)
I'm leaving in 2 weeks, 900 miles each way. Gas is $3.50 here, it's probably gonna be a $700+ round trip fuel expenditure for my 10 day trip. Then all the other expenses associated with long range fishing. Any info on what the long range boats are charging for fuel surcharges would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat Name
African Queen
I'm leaving in 2 weeks, 900 miles each way. Gas is $3.50 here, it's probably gonna be a $700+ round trip fuel expenditure for my 10 day trip. Then all the other expenses associated with long range fishing. Any info on what the long range boats are charging for fuel surcharges would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Hawgboy

Almost A Member
May 7, 2022
Garden Grove
Name
Gary
Boat Name
Any
The least of your costs on a solid adventure you’re about to make , safe travels, smooth seas and biting fish to you 🙏

Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat Name
none
What's going to happen when the BFT fishing goes to shit and we know it will. Mexico is locking us out as well. But for now they are full and good for them. I have a good friend who exited at the right time. Good for him.
We are going to do some destination travel fishing, PV, Costa Rica and Panama. I have a group going to the Amazon in Jan 2024. Lot's of great fishing out there. I have had blinders on for too many years.
Feel free to PM me on destination fishing

Reactions: SCHeadhunter
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
Good edit

I remember in 1994. New AM PM opened in north county SD. 99 cent gas for grand opening for a few months

That was 94 just got my license. 60s gas must had been awesome. Although I'm not sure how the gas prices then related to average income and dollar value

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2018
Lincoln, CA
Name
James Stinnett
Boat Name
Vagabond
All boats have to work off a certain percentage to operate. Like any other business. when prices of fuel, food, labor and parts increase, so does the PRICE of a trip. A business can only absorb so much before they are forced to increase cost of a trip. Boils down to basic economics. The boat and crew earn every penny IMO

Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat Name
Working on it
I bet you 1 million to 1. Gas in CA will never go down to 2.49.
I was just using that as a example, because the covid limited load prices went up and now the covid scare is over the loads are slowly creapin up but the price is not going down!

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Brad
Boat Name
Yamaha FX SHO
When the cost of day to day goods go up. They almost never go back down besides a blow out sale

Normal but imo it's best to slow the increase progression process down

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.